PDA

View Full Version : Reversing uphill with a trailer

Surfer01
21st January 2012, 01:30 PM
Recently we were in Wales with a twin axle trailer, not caravan, and to turn around I had to reverse up a fairly hill. In doing so the trailer brakes would lock on due to the damper being compressed. Eventually succeeded by doing it by unhooking the trailer.
If it was a caravan I am not sure what we would have done as surely the effect on the caravan damper would be the same with the brakes locking on? How do you get around this if having to reverse up a steep hill?

Brummie
21st January 2012, 01:48 PM
Use the motor mover :sofa:

I'll get my coat

Ian

jammy-D88
21st January 2012, 02:00 PM
Usually the brakes won't lock on when reversing for this reason.

Vectra C 1.8vvt SRI

phill
21st January 2012, 02:28 PM
No its the same as reversing , my drive is quite steep and the brakes come off OK I would have them checked

fishman
21st January 2012, 02:49 PM
How old is the trailer, It should have Auto Reverse brakes, These work by the brake shoes contacting the drum and causing the operating mechanism to collapse IE No brakes, when pulling forward the shoes then click back into position, In the VERY unlikely event it isnt auto reverse there iis usually a clip that swings over the damper shaft stopping it before it applies the brakes, This must be used on and off manualy

Roving Rangies
21st January 2012, 02:52 PM
How old is the trailer, It should have Auto Reverse brakes, These work by the brake shoes contacting the drum and causing the operating mechanism to collapse IE No brakes, when pulling forward the shoes then click back into position, In the VERY unlikely event it isnt auto reverse there iis usually a clip that swings over the damper shaft stopping it before it applies the brakes, This must be used on and off manualy

Grr! I was just about to post what you have!!

johnbrownlie
21st January 2012, 05:32 PM
Sound like your trailer's brake is need to have service. I had same problem with my caravan with result my car's clutch getting hot and smoking!!!

took caravan to dealership and they confirmed it was fault in auto reverse brake. Since then no problem backward uphill !!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

mixerman
21st January 2012, 06:41 PM
You do it very slowly. If you try to go too fast or jerk back the brakes come on. If you want to do it and there is level ground in front of you , pull onto the level before you start because if you have to start on the hill you can pull the breaks on. Slowly and steadily does it. I'm not saying there is not maybe a problem with your brakes but just giving advice on the best way of doing it.

Craig & Sue
21st January 2012, 08:59 PM
On old trailers here with hyraulic brakes were the coupling was a ram that compressed they had a collar on a pin that you would flick over before reversing and it would stop the ram compressing. When you had finished reversing you flick it back out the way so the brake would work.

Abbeyman
21st January 2012, 09:29 PM
On a caravan if you have the auto-reverse brakes you just slow down and stop, engage reverse, and let the clutch out slowly. You will feel a nudge as the auto-reverse cam disengages the brakes, and the trailer will roll backwards.
Some trailers have a little lever beside the hitch dmaper housing, when you stop, the lever has to be pushed backwards before reverse gear can be used. This locks the drawtube so that it doesnt push it in to lock the brakes.
Other trailers have a swing over collar that is propped into place onto the drawtube, to do the same.

When driving, if you hit the brakes, the trailer will push in towards the car and this is what activates the brakes; the very same thing happens when you reverse. Only from the opposite direction. The car reversing pushes the hitch, and draw tube into the over-run mechanism and activates the brakes, unless something is put in place to stop this happening.

Hope i have explained this clearly!:wink:

Surfer01
22nd January 2012, 09:54 AM
The trailer is actually a car trailer and was borrowed but probably has never been serviced which may explain a lot. Thought it was me doing something wrong as I have never had this happen even when reversing onto some fairly steep pitches.

Glenkeller
22nd January 2012, 11:07 AM
We fitted a front towbar last year for reversing up a gravelled slope into our own undercover storage which was murder on the gearbox, since it has been fitted we've stopped leaving the caravan on the drive for the summer and keep it undercover except for when we are using it. Verdict on front towbars - excellent and so much cheaper than a caravan mover. So much better on the gearbox and so much more scope to use it for tight spaces etc.

fishman
22nd January 2012, 07:35 PM
Grr! I was just about to post what you have!!

You have it I dont mind at all, I will find something else i am sure, Nice to see you back!:wink: