Caravanning 4U

Caravanning 4U (http://www.caravanning4u.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Plough (http://www.caravanning4u.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Health & Safety Studies (http://www.caravanning4u.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=31249)

Rikijohn 13th June 2015 10:46 PM

Health & Safety Studies

Last Friday I made the decision and spent some money registering for a 6 month online study program of H & S . NZ is going through a major review and picking up a large section of the Australian law which has been very successful for them.
My directors want me to consult to the MD for 2 years as his H & S consultant for two branches. I have agreed and presented a proposal for 4 days a month plus on call for serious incidents . NZ is not ready for advanced training due to the law changes so again I have signed with an Australian training institute which will fast track my timing.

5 years since I completed my last course which was a 6 month one and I completed that while off work. The good news is they are prepared to review all my past study and allow cross credits if applicable. so I may reduce my study time under 6 months.

My target is to knock it off by end of June this year. Then I will be retired and we both plan a long summer break. Carole may return to work 2 days a week next year if her employer is in agreement, otherwise she will retire as well.

Will I carry on with more study? don't know yet but I may depends how well this one goes.

I enjoy and appreciate the H & S and NZ has a shocking record across most work sectors. We are currently 6 times worse than the UK. Nothing to be proud off believe me. NZ is to see a huge change and many employers will be screaming like pigs to the slaughter when they wake up and see the changes being considered.

Pitfour 14th June 2015 08:34 AM

Sounds interesting best off luck in your studies.
H&S is a valuable tool for any job.

harrym1byt 14th June 2015 09:17 AM

H&S is a double edged sword.

It can increase costs massively to companies which pay full heed to it, where as cowboys likely will ignore H&S and take some terrific risks.

Last week we had some cowboy builders in the street, working on a large concrete drive they had mucked up in the layout of. There they were, for hours cutting slots in the concrete with a cutter, not using any water to control the dust, massive clouds of dust flying over everyone's cars. Not wearing any PPE - no knee pads, gloves, goggles or even masks.

It wasn't affecting us, apart from the noise and it was a weekend, so pointless getting involved.

Abbeyman 14th June 2015 05:15 PM

If i know you John; you will pass with flying colours! cant see it being a problem, but all the best with your studies!
H&S in UK has made everyone very PC. Where before you just did the thing you were doing, but now you have to watch and make sure that the stepladder is within its inspection dates, or if you use it and get hurt you're up the creek without a paddle.

While the physical aspects i can understand, such as safe handling techniques, safe lifting, communication with others, H&S being everyone's business etc, it has made many employers very aware of things and they now start to discipline people for minor misdemeanour's but with stiff penalty! They also record everything they see in my opinion so that they can wriggle out of things that were as much their fault as the miscreants (i know; big words for a Sunday, but i had a dictionary for lunch!lol) In my last place of work, early on, one worked was lacerated by a pallet of ceramic tiles that had fallen from the top shelf, which had given way with the sheer weight, all the tiles came sliding off and he copped quite a load of them; the company quickly and quietly swept the issue under the carpet; the chap could have been killed! But they didn't want their H&S record blemished. No H&S inspector came in for that one, or the guy who fell 30ft onto a concrete floor in the high bays! he got away with broken ribs a dislocated shoulder and concussion, when anyone asked him about it he said nothing; obviously the company did a deal with him to keep it quiet.

In UK this seems to have gone wild, and PC with it! I agree with H&S if its used the way it should be, and not a tool for companies to discipline staff with or even fire people over.

All the best with it John!

Rikijohn 14th June 2015 08:57 PM

Thanks guys. Like it or love it we all need it to protect us from the cowboy companies as stated above.

It is more an interest for me than a need to gain a qualification. However I do take the responsibility seriously and I don't know the answer then I research it. My current boss wants me to look after some other firms but I don't intend to retire and begin another run of employment.

For now I await the flood of online documents. LOL
Cheers folk.

Abbeyman 14th June 2015 10:53 PM

Your letter box will fall off! lol Just make sure your eyes, ears and head are protected, that you have a respirator in case it kicks up a cloud on landing, and that you have bright fluorescent clothing on and can be seen, and steel toecaps in case it lands on your toes! Put on gloves when you lift it, and mind your back, safe lifting please!:sofa::killer:killer:killer:killer You're a good man John Hunt!;)

Rikijohn 15th June 2015 08:35 AM

Cheers Mark LOL Certainly made me smile thanks LOL

Petemate 15th June 2015 11:02 AM

All joking aside, H & S whether we like it or not, is a necessary tool, but IMHO needs to be used wisely.
A company I used to work for at LHR (baggage repatriation) had a H & S 'officer' for a while. He caused more delays to our operations than I care to remember, and the company eventually deleted the position. As we were a fairly small outfit the solution was that the bosses got us all together and we were reminded of our individual responsibilities and from then on everything worked out fine. The fact is that all the sensible policies were adhered to and in the five years following, after which the company passed into new ownership and I left along with many others, we had no safety issues whatever.
Good luck John; I am sure you will make a very good job of it all!
Pete

Pitfour 15th June 2015 01:29 PM

Pete I see your point.
I think the old saying that each man is his own health and safety officer is very true, although a company appointed health and safety officer to ensure standards and point out short comings is advantageous.

Rikijohn 16th June 2015 09:08 PM

Pete and Pitfour you are correct. The Act we work under and the new one is going to force a much higher level of supervision / management with supportive documentation.
The current and then new intended act also make it very clear that each person must look after themselves and fellow people around them.

Unfortunately we have the special selected group of people who come to work leaving what grey matter they may have at home and they are the very ones who are responsible for all the rules and a paper trail to prove firms did do everything they could.

However these special workers also have another side group who are owners and managers that don't use their grey matter and don't think anything will go wrong for them and their staff.

We have a new manager taking over from me at work and last week one of our staff crushed into a major control box with a forklift. Did not report it. and the new manager said nothing. Well when I found out I asked him what he was going to do about it and had he considered the very high risk of electrocution and or fire some arching cables. I got a blank look. I gave him a choice, stop walk and ask the man concerned to come forward and report the accident. If did not I would . Well we had our stop work and both said out bit mine was a lot rougher than the new man but we got the man involved by the next morning. Not the one we would have ever expected. The point I am making he is a typical example where the new manager clearly has no idea of risks and hazards so how can he guide staff through their day to day work safely. This is a classic case of why we have and need H & S act.
Cheers guys and thanks for the good wishes.