Unread 14th June 2015   #4
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

If i know you John; you will pass with flying colours! cant see it being a problem, but all the best with your studies!
H&S in UK has made everyone very PC. Where before you just did the thing you were doing, but now you have to watch and make sure that the stepladder is within its inspection dates, or if you use it and get hurt you're up the creek without a paddle.

While the physical aspects i can understand, such as safe handling techniques, safe lifting, communication with others, H&S being everyone's business etc, it has made many employers very aware of things and they now start to discipline people for minor misdemeanour's but with stiff penalty! They also record everything they see in my opinion so that they can wriggle out of things that were as much their fault as the miscreants (i know; big words for a Sunday, but i had a dictionary for lunch!lol) In my last place of work, early on, one worked was lacerated by a pallet of ceramic tiles that had fallen from the top shelf, which had given way with the sheer weight, all the tiles came sliding off and he copped quite a load of them; the company quickly and quietly swept the issue under the carpet; the chap could have been killed! But they didn't want their H&S record blemished. No H&S inspector came in for that one, or the guy who fell 30ft onto a concrete floor in the high bays! he got away with broken ribs a dislocated shoulder and concussion, when anyone asked him about it he said nothing; obviously the company did a deal with him to keep it quiet.

In UK this seems to have gone wild, and PC with it! I agree with H&S if its used the way it should be, and not a tool for companies to discipline staff with or even fire people over.

All the best with it John!

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top