Go Back   Caravanning 4U > Information & New Members Area > Travel News For Campers and Caravanners

Notices

Travel News For Campers and Caravanners The latest travel news from around the UK.

Unread 14th April 2015   #1
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 1,309
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Caravanners in protest against new caravan legislation due to be enforced

Concern raised against new legislation, as caravanners start petition

Caravan enthusiasts have started a petition requesting the government put a stop to new strict regulations of caravan use on the Isle of Man, with fears control measures in place could undermine tourism in the area.

Stricter control measures, including a new registration permit system are due to be implemented from November 2015, enraging both caravanners and Manx residents alike - so much so a petition has been set up to thwart plans due to take effect.

Legislation set to be enforced will require users of leisure vehicles to display a special permit if visiting the island for special events including the TT Festival, Classic TT or Southern 100 or even if they are staying at approved campsites. Moreover, drivers towing caravans may have to follow designated routes to and from their respective campsites, with restricted travel on the Island's roads.

Both caravanners and Manx residents have been lamenting the fact that there was no public consultation on this matter, even though it may possibly affect the economy on the island by deterring tourists from visiting.

Comments left on the Facebook page of local Isle of Man radio station, Energy FM have picked up pace, with some expressing their disdain at new legislation planned.

Local resident, Karen Inston, said: "the IOM Government are just making a mockery of the tourist industry, let alone how IOM residents choose to spend their leisure time," whilst Tony Harmer accused the Isle of Man government of living in the past. "The government/civil servants still living in the dark ages! The more people we can encourage to visit the better for all of us. The price of travel will put off most tourist visitors with a caravan so it is only the better off we are rejecting," he said.

Over 160 people have already signed the petition, in protest against any changes to legislation. To sign it click here, http://www.petitions24.com/stop_rest...he_isle_of_man
Unread 15th April 2015   #2
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,142
My Mood
Happy

Good god if it was the 1st of April I would laugh and call it a April fools joke.
Why are they doing this. ?

2018 Fiat Ducato Dethleffs Trend T7057 Motorhome

Was a Swift Challenger 4432 caravan and Mazda CX5 Tow car.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Unread 15th April 2015   #3
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 466
Garage
Strangely enough we have never had an interest in visiting the Isle of Mann so legislation doesn't bother us. In addition, I am told that many of the roads are not really suitable for caravans and if the Isle of Wight is anything to go by then maybe the roads on IOM are just as bad!

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto chased by a
Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Unread 15th April 2015   #4
KerryS
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 475
Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

The IoM has fairly good roads with no speed limits outside the gowns/villages. We went for a week, caravan less, and enquiried about taking ours there sometime. There aren't a lot of roads and I can understand the Tinwald wanting some control over caravans. I thought a permit for tourist caravans was already needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
KerryS is offline Top