Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Caravanning Top Tips

Notices

Caravanning Top Tips Great ideas from other caravanners and members with motorhomes & campers.

Unread 25th May 2017   #1
carabiker
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 456
Puriclean v Milton

Hi
pick up this info on an other forum
from group who teach Food Hygiene and Infection control.

PURICLEAN This is a powder that when mixed with water will Clean AND Sterilise your water system. First though, some people advocate the use of Milton to sterilise the water system. Milton is designed as a Chlorine (Hypochlorite) Based sterilising agent, whether you use the liquid or dissolving tablets. It is good at sterilising anything that is already clean, like babyís bottles or brewing kit. It doesnít clean the Biofilm from the inside of pipes, when bacteria are growing in water the produce a slimy, glue like substance that they use to anchor themselves to any surface, as Bacteria reproduce (Called Binary Fission) they can produce toxins, these can also stick to the Biofilm. Milton may kill most of the bacteria, but it doesnít remove the Biofilm where the toxins are hiding. Milton will also attack the Metal in your water system. (From the |British Steel association) How to use it. For every 4.5ltrs of water used to clean the system you need one teaspoon of Puriclean So a 40ltr Aquaroll will need 9 teaspoons. There is no point adding extra as it will not work any better. Get a large water jug and add some warm water to it, then add the right amount of Puriclean powder and mix it well. If you add it directly to the water container there is a good chance it will go lumpy and stick to the inside of the water container, which will give your water a funny taste. Attach your waste wheeler or waste container to the caravan. As you clean your system the waste mixture will go into the waste wheeler and clean / sterilise that as well. Half fill the water container then add the Puriclean mixture. Fill the water container to the brim and put the water pump in. Let it stand for half an hour to clean and sterilise the container. Then draw the water with the puriclean into all the water system in the caravan, hot and cold water system.
If you smell the water coming out it will have a chemical, but not strong chlorine smell, rub your fingers under the water coming from the taps and it will feel slightly slippery. Allow the water to sit in the pipes for at least 1 hour, although if you have never cleaned the pipes or suspect they are contaminated you can leave the mixture overnight. I draw about a pint off each tap every hour or so if I am leaving it a long time (not if I am doing it overnight) it gets fresh mixture to the pipes and keeps the mixture moving through the pipes. Once the time is up, I draw lots of mixture through then disconnect, pour whatís left in the water container into the waste wheeler. Rinse the water container out a couple of times to flush out any remaining solution, you donít need to fill it, just about ľ then give it a good shake and tip out. (Water your plants with it) Drain your caravan water system down and then refill with fresh water. Draw around 4 pints from each cold tap and 6 pints from each hot tap. Donít forget to do the shower as well. (Draw more from the hot taps because you need to flush the Hot water tank out) I tend to clean my system within a couple of days before our first trip out, then half way through the season, just before a trip again. We always drink water from our taps and I am happy it is safe to drink
Skype name ;-david.rose_m31
Adventure before dementia
carabiker is offline Top  
Unread 25th May 2017   #2
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 430
Garage
Good advice especially regarding Milton and steel. Any chance of it being made into a sticky?

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto diesel
Lunar Delta TI
Surfer01 is online now Top  
Unread 25th May 2017   #3
carabiker
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
Good advice especially regarding Milton and steel. Any chance of it being made into a sticky?
Hi All

I have used Milton for 40 plus years on the caravans and now the motor home

Alde central heating, :-the hot water and anitfreeze tank (the boiler ) are made of stainless steel as far as i know Alde are ok with Milton if is used to clean the system

may be next time I will try puriclean

Dave
Skype name ;-david.rose_m31
Adventure before dementia
carabiker is offline Top  
Unread 25th May 2017   #4
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 430
Garage
On one of our previous caravans, the Milton left a stain in the stainless steel sink. The Biofilm is a concern even though we never use the water from the taps in the caravan due to the funny taste in tea.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto diesel
Lunar Delta TI
Surfer01 is online now Top  
Unread 25th May 2017   #5
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 26
My Mood
Yeehaw

I always make a point of draining my system down at the end of every trip, if the pipes are allowed to dry out properly, none of the slimy gel can form. It is the very same gel which grows in your windscreen washer system and blocks the jets.

Likewise the water container, I empty that and leave the lid off to dry out.

Inline filters in the system are fine, but only if replaced for every trip. They should never be left unused and wet for any appreciable time, or the bugs can multiply inside - producing the opposite effect to that intended. My current van was fitted with such a filter and for safety I removed it and bypassed where it had been.

harrym1byt is offline Top  
Unread 25th May 2017   #6
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,277
Garage
My Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
Done
Unread 10th June 2017   #7
ggmad
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 470
My Mood
Amazed

I've always used Milton (or similar) but after reading this decided to use the Aquastar 1 and 2 pack I won in a raffle some years ago - 1 is declorification and 2 is sterilising. I couldn't believe the junk and gunge that came out of the pipes after using the first packet, even more came out after using the sterilising packet. Just goes to show you get what you pay for - I will be using this again in future. (Good job I run all my water through my filter jug )
Unread 10th June 2017   #8
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,108
My Mood
Happy

Interesting read Thanks
Rikijohn is offline Top