Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 5 Days Ago   #1
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 1,104
My Mood
Happy

Grenfell Fire London

Folk I have been following this horrific fire since it began and like everyone await the actual cause and why so massive the fire was.

It goes without saying we feel for everyone involved and that includes all the emergency crews and police who had to deal with the fire and victims.

Seeing pictures of Fire crews resting with heads down clearly exhausted and sadden by the entire event. Frankly that reminded me of 911 USA. Nothing will ever relieve survivors and or emergency crews of that nights horrific challenge. I have witnessed the sombre atmosphere at a 911 memorial star climb in NZ attended by officials from USA and some 400 NZ Fire fighters which has engraved into me the saddened silence and effect of all those present. Now London will have to deal with this annually. So sad. I just hope the authorities do not overlook your emergency people and they get the help many of them will need, if not now but in the future.

Today you suffer outrage with protesters demanding justice but sadly their timing seams to be way too soon IMO. I just hope they settle down and allow the system to engage and work with the priorities required and subsequent enquiry that must follow. At this time the last thing I believe you folk need is further damage and injury as protesters become more and more enraged (not helped by media).
Rikijohn is online now Top  
Who Said Thanks:
phill (5 Days Ago)
Unread 4 Days Ago   #2
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 420
Garage
Sadly many of the victims are now demanding that the government should wave a magic wand and create housing. They all had the opportunity to have contents insurance and the insurance company would have had to rehouse them and not the taxpayer. My sympathy is fast evaporating for the victims of this fire as already they have tried to take the law into their own hands.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto diesel
Lunar Delta TI
Surfer01 is online now Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Oldsalt (3 Days Ago)
Unread 1 Day Ago   #3
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 0
My Mood
Happy

Hi Ian I can understand your comments. No insurance Sorry I have no time for that. Some things in life we have to pay for and insurance is one.

We have watched a number of footage clips on You Tube news etc and I did not like or agree with last weekends protesters and comments. It is all far too early and the authorities have yet to complete their investigation and report. It appears a fridge fire may have started it but how and why did that get so far out of control? Then there is a exterior cladding debate.

For residents to complain and suggest this was an event in waiting due to no sprinklers alarms etc well why did those people stay in there? I expect housing is short but I would not put myself in danger if I knew the degree of risks.
Unread 1 Day Ago   #4
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 420
Garage
John, we have had terrible floods in this country where people have lost everything, but did they start rioting and demanding special treatment?
BTW also we lost a lot of stuff due to our home being flooded, but as we have home contents insurance, we got alternative accommodation straight away plus contents lost replaced. Our contents insurance cost us less than £12 a month.
It seems that one of the tenants on the 4th floor had a fridge that caught on fire which then caused the building to catch fire. The type of cladding used may not have helped and I think heads will roll. Unfortunately this is going to cost the taxpayer a lot of money in compensation etc. but one cannot put a price on a life.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto diesel
Lunar Delta TI
Surfer01 is online now Top  
Unread 4 Hours Ago   #5
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

My Mood
Happy

Ian I totally agree having sold insurance Fire and General few years ago. I used to in rease the excess toower the annual premiums for clients who struggled financially. like your few ours also became very affordable.

I see the Council CEO has resivned and some people are reported as being pleased. I just cannot see what the resignation gains. OK they say he did not handle things well or was it his staff who failed.?