Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 22nd August 2012   #1
Graham (Ponty)
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 620
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Al-ko ATC

Just purchased a brand new Al-ko ATC unit from the bay for a bargain price, I was thinking of installing it myself with the help of my brother-in-law who has recently installed one on his caravan and which seems to be working fine, so was just wondering if anybody else has fitted one of these units to their caravan and was it as straight forward as it looks. I know you have to cut 10mm off the end of the break rod that comes from the over run break attachment and you have to leave a 1mm gap where the push rod meets the break rod, the loom that comes with it is the correct fitting for my caravan so that should just be a case of plugging it in.

Anybody else fitted one of these to their van and can offer any advice. The other alternative is to get if fitted by one of Al-ko's recomended fitting agents near to where I live at a cost of £150.

----------------------------

2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4
2006 Willerby Richmond Mk3 Static

Graham (Ponty) is offline Top  
Unread 24th August 2012   #2
Graham (Ponty)
C4U Super Mod

Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Anybody fitted one of the above ????

Unread 24th August 2012   #3
carabiker
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 472
Hi

As a norn atc is only sold to the van manufacturers, Dealer and some trained Mobile fitters

Not heard of any DIYers

Couple of known problems
1) the pin 9 permanent 12 volt (13 pin socket ) supply must provide 15 amp and a good earth
2) small number reports of the led light and loom allowing in water/ condensation

? would Alko / agent be prepared to test the unit if it's faulty at any time , requires a lap top and the software

Sorry can not help much
Skype name ;-david.rose_m31
Adventure before dementia
carabiker is offline Top  
Unread 24th August 2012   #4
Graham (Ponty)
C4U Super Mod

Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabiker View Post
Hi

As a norn atc is only sold to the van manufacturers, Dealer and some trained Mobile fitters

Not heard of any DIYers

Couple of known problems
1) the pin 9 permanent 12 volt (13 pin socket ) supply must provide 15 amp and a good earth
2) small number reports of the led light and loom allowing in water/ condensation

? would Alko / agent be prepared to test the unit if it's faulty at any time , requires a lap top and the software

Sorry can not help much
Hi David, Thanks for the reply.

I have looked everywhere to buy one with no joy only supply and fit by Al-ko and their agents but I looked on ebay and this one was for sale at £250, since I purchased this one two more have been put up for sale at £350 and £395 by different sellers

My brother-in-law bought a second hand unit from preloved, from somebody who had one fitted to their caravan then changed the van for a new one which came with an ATC included so sold the first one they purchased. He fitted it to his caravan and all seems to be fine.

I know about pin 9 and it requiring a good earth, not sure yet if I have to run another 2.5 cable with fuse to pin 9 yet but will find out this weekend. I was looking at the loom myself and thought it didn't look very water tight especially where it plugs into the unit.

The agent has said he will guarantee the fitting but not the unit. Should anything go wrong with the unit I think he might do a diagnostics check at a price to myself, hopefully as this unit is brand new never used it should be fine and it is the right weight unit for my van. (1501 to 1800kg)