Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Unread 18th April 2013   #1
typhoon ex300
Camping Master

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 2
Garage
Alko ATC

What do people think of the Alko ATC?
I have just got a new Alko stabiliser and was going to get the Alko Atc as the wife still thinks about the accident, We like going away in the van with the dogs etc but even last week the wife was having second thoughts about the van.
So any thoughts about the Alko Atc?
Thanks
typhoon ex300 is offline Top  
Unread 18th April 2013   #2
Cupra
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 95
My Mood
Buzzed

watch the reviews on Youtube, we have the same system on our artic trailers and it saves your backside when it starts going wrong, ours is more for roll over protection than snaking but its a really good idea, its just a wierd feeling when its doing its job
Cupra is offline Top  
Unread 18th April 2013   #3
typhoon ex300
Camping Master

Thanks (Total): 2
Garage
Thanks for tha Cupra
typhoon ex300 is offline Top  
Unread 18th April 2013   #4
portchester1
Master Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 48
Like seat belts, air bags and ABS the ATC should spend its life doing nothing but should a critical instability situation occur I for one would not wish to be without all these.
ATC only acts when it sees the potential of a van movement going unstable; it then grabs the caravans brakes so the vans swing is immediately crecked.
It is not in any sense a device to facilitate poor van loading and unit mismatching.
Many will claim their unit is very stable and the ATC is a waste of money and hopefully we all have stable units and hopefully our ATCs will indeed be a waste of money.
However how well mannered your unit is and the care you drive with, a towed unit is easy to become unstable; if you dont believe me try doing the Elk test, but wait till nobody is anywhere near! No seriously never try it as the unit will go unstable.
It only takes you having to swerve to avoid something; in my case it was a blind idiot charging onto a motorway across me. Then you will think the ATC is worth every penny you paid, or deeply regret not buying one before you needed it.
Best on road safety feature ever offered to caravanners IMO.
portchester1 is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Cupra (18th April 2013)
Unread 18th April 2013   #5
Graham (Ponty)
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 620
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Hi Keith,

I fitted an ATC to my caravan towards the end of last year season. In my opinion it is one of the best things you can have. I'm sure if I did not have it fitted on my last trip out I would have lost the caravan when I was over taking an arctic lorry, half way past and a big white van overtook me in lane 3, the van started to sway but within seconds it had corrected itself and was back in line and I believe all thanks to the ATC.

So yes in my opinion well worth having it on my caravan.

Will PM you.

Advert post for the ATC:

http://caravanning4u.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28326

----------------------------

2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4
2006 Willerby Richmond Mk3 Static

Graham (Ponty) is offline Top  
Unread 18th April 2013   #6
dsolds
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 33
ATC is the biggest waste of money that I would not be without. It really is like insurance, you hope you never need it, and most of us truly begrudge paying for it, but on the odd occasion you are just thankful it's there and ready to work for you. I have it and so far I've never felt it working, in all honesty I hope I never do feel it working, but the peace of mind it brings it wonderful. Even the good lady drives our outfit now knowing that is we get battered about by wind or passing coaches etc the ATC is there to keep it all shiny side up.
Unread 18th April 2013   #7
deli-beli
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 92
My Mood
Happy

I've raised my general dislike of stabilisers on here a few times now - generally I feel that they do too much to mask a problem until it is too late to do anything about it.

However, from what I've seen and read about the ATC system, I really can find no arguments against it. As has been mentioned, it is not a system designed to allow you to ignore sensible loading/driving speeds - It will not mask inherent instability issues, rather it will highlight them as you will always know when it kicks in to stabilise your outfit.

Hopefully, once fitted, you will never know that it is there, but (like ABS brakes) it is reassuring to know that should something unexpected happen that would otherwise cause massive and possibly uncontrollable instability with your 'van, there is a system in place that will help you get back on the straight and narrow again.

A definite life saver I would say.

Cheers,

Kev

Mitsubishi Delica 2.8TD
Abbey Spectrum 520
deli-beli is offline Top  
Unread 19th April 2013   #8
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 465
Garage
ATC should be mandatory on all trailers. When you are on the motorway and a large vehicle overtakes you, you can feel the ATC working.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto chased by a
Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top