Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 15th May 2014   #1
Angie girl
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 152
My Mood
Cool

Going further because of horrid road!!!

Hi..to get across to Chester area from Derby we go the A50 Uttoxeter then usually straight to Stoke on Trent..well not any more..we are now going Uttoxeter to Stafford via A518...making our journey approx 12 miles further..If anyone has been on that stretch of A50 between Stoke and Uttoxeter (maybe you Phil)?? it is the worst few miles we have ever encounted...continual bumping..the last time we were travelling no more than about 20 miles an hour...just terrible..I thought I was going to be sick...so further it is...with a better journey. It does seem silly to go furter down to pick up the Motorway,,but there is no other route is there....Heck!!!!

Anyone else had to do this sort of thing..just to avoid horrid stretches of road.. or do you know of roads to avoid like the plague lol...x

Chris x
Unread 15th May 2014   #2
KerryS
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 472
Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

It's a horrid surface that section. I think, as ever, the Highways Agency chose the cheapest bid for that bit; it's concrete rather than Macadam.
Posted via Mobile Device
KerryS is offline Top  
Unread 15th May 2014   #3
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,294
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

it is a bumpy road but there is no easy way round it the A518 is very accident prone you can go half way along it then turn right on the A51 to go to the A34 that is probably the best way
Unread 16th May 2014   #4
Juan Saponatime
Elite Camper

Thanks (Total): 125
Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

I agree with Phil. The A518 from Uttoxeter to Stafford is a bad road, windy, narrow in places and up and down. The scene of many accidents . Use the A518 with care as far as Weston on Trent then take the A51 as suggested up towards Stone where it joins the A34 ...then up to J15 M6 at Hanchurch. OR stay on the A51 from Stone north and follow it through the Staffs/Cheshire countryside all the way up to Chester.....slower but more scenic.

J&H.
Javea, Spain.
Fendt Platin 450QF/KIA Sorento Emotion 2.5 4x4 diesel auto

"Meddle ye not in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste of chicken".
Juan Saponatime is offline Top  
Unread 16th May 2014   #5
Angie girl
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 152
My Mood
Cool

Hi thanks for the replies...I hear what you are saying...we actually came back last November after a week in Chester and picked up the Motorway at Stafford Junc, 14 then A518 to Uttoxeter...I can't say G noticed any difference..except a smoother ride..and it was a Monday too...We go on Sunday which is obviously quieter anyway and come back on a Friday..which I guess will be busy..(but not the Babk Hols one)...It is so difficult...but neither of us can stand the A50 again...especially if we have had chips lol... Bucket anyone xx I didn't know that stretch of road was particularly bad? is it due to heavy traffic..i.e. lorries etc. exiting the Motorway at Stafford etc.?

Chris x