Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Unread 11th October 2011   #11
beejay
Veteran Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneside View Post
Tell em to concentrate on the likes of Dale Farm and leave you alone

Just push em as far as you dare as long as its not a police matter you will find they rarely have any teeth
On the other hand it may be that "they" do indeed have teeth! But then it's not you who will get bitten.
beejay is offline Top  
Unread 11th October 2011   #12
PhillyDee
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 9
If the complainant parks his vehicle on the footpath and causes an obstruction to pedestrians the vehicle can be ticketed but you need to report it to the police.

However having read between the lines , this seems more as though he does not like your van parked on the road causing passing vehicles to come close to his parked car. Is his car already parked up when you leave the van outside your house, because if it is then you may be guilty of causing an obstruction.

I have 2 kids and no where to leave the van at home so we load the car up with everything parked in boxes. Food stuffs go in the van , we leave clothes in the car , hitch up at storage and set off.

when we come back we usually empty the van of clotehs etc and put these in the car at the site we are leaving, onkly emptying the fridge when we reach storage.
PhillyDee is offline Top  
Unread 12th October 2011   #13
Spice
Amateur

Thanks (Total): 0
Wink

Some updated news that could be of help to others in this position:

I have called the police and as long as its not on yellow lines or causing a danger they are fine.

I have seperatly contacted the council and they say again, that as long as its not a danger, not blocking a drive or parked on yellows they have no rules against it.

Seems abit strange to send someone banging on my door really.

Have to wait and see wht the letter says and go from there.

Cheers all
Spice is offline Top  
Unread 12th October 2011   #14
charliesmam
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 59
My Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice View Post
Thanks all for the comments.

Quote:
The person who has reported us parks his car opposite on the pavement that does make it tricky to get past, so I guess I can report him when he does that next.
Playing devils advocate here :-
Is it possible someone reported him for that and he's getting his own back

Quote:
He has now bought a real big van and parks it outside peoples house that is really upsetting people up and down the road, they have started leaving there cars on the road so he does not park there,
could he park his van in his driveway or is he doing it just to annoy others?

Quote:
We can park it on the drive but then the tow hitch slightly pokes out into the pavement, so its better for walkers if its on the road.
how far is slightly?

Thanks lots

Marcus
Just thinking out loud

Charlie^^^and^^^ Toby

charliesmam is offline Top  
Unread 12th October 2011   #15
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

All that happened was that some miserable old fart took exception to your caravan in the road, possibly that you get away often and he doesnt might tip his balance. He took exception and called in the council; whats he gonna do next? alert the media?

He got legalistic; and in turn you did too, only to your benefit; forget him and carry on; youre doing nothing wrong, the council arent the law. Theyre merely there as government in the area, they cant issue you with a parking ticket. Only the traffic wardens and police can do that and as long as you have their guidance in this matter you can stick with that and forget the mr misery in the street.

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 12th October 2011   #16
Rovers
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 493
My Mood
Cheeky

There is a saying "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" and another is "What goes around comes around" seems to fit the bill

LESTER Have kia will travel
Rovers is offline Top  
Unread 12th October 2011   #17
PhillyDee
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 9
if his car is parked first and you then leave your van opposite then you may be guilty of a number of offences.

if you put your van there first then he parks his car opposte then he may guilty.

so, who get there first , you or him?
PhillyDee is offline Top  
Unread 12th October 2011   #18
raccoon
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 47
My Mood
Cheerful

Going back about 25 years when I had a ACE caravan and I used to park it outside my house for a few days before going on holiday to fill it up. One of my neighbours complained to the council and told them that it was parked on the road all the time. Infact we had it in storage. They came out to see us. We explained this to them and it was agreed that we could have it outside the house and parked on the side of the road (half on half off, green verge) for two days before a main two week holiday and for a day when doing short breaks. We got this in writing from the council but the nosey person next door still complained to the council all the time but never got anywhere with them. While it was parked on a night I would connect it to the car but never had any lights on at all. The police even came once and told me someone had complained but they were not bothered as long as the emergency vehicles could get through.
This was 25 years ago and I know things have changed a bit since then but try to get some sort of acceptance on paper from the council to allow you to park there while loading and unloading.
raccoon is offline Top  
Unread 12th October 2011   #19
wood666
Camping Master

Thanks (Total): 4
Garage
My Mood
Drunk

if its parked on the road surly it nothing to do with the council it should be road services they maintane roads and footpath , if its your own house look @ deed's and see what restrictions have or havent been writen into them ie no vans no hedges over 4ft had hate mail over my caravan from next door...left a nice replay in the front window after checking with council and road services ,mind was on drive and hitch was a slight problem (removed) mine sit on drive when not in use
Unread 13th October 2011   #20
Spice
Amateur

Thanks (Total): 0
Just had a reply from police

If its in a 30mph zone it needs reflectors front and rear, if its in a 40 zone it need to be lite at night, and it needs to be parked 15mts from any junction

The junction bit is good info

Cheers

Marcus
Spice is offline Top