Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #821
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 1,111
My Mood
Happy

Installed an invertor under a bed which runs off my second battery.
Re configured the charging regime for the two batteries from the Sun Saver Duo controller.
Now set to 90 / 10% ( was 50/50) but the 90% feeds the larger second battery as No 1 priority.
Reason for this is we have two E Bikes and charging is slow for these and unless we are in full sun most of the day the larger battery (154 Amp hr) struggles to fully recharge before we want to ride again. The house battery is 130 Amp hr and never gets low so reckon I can let that be No 2 priority for solar charge.

Further I have bought a 2000KW max / 1700KW rated genset as added system when we are pitched in bush and out backs which is our preferred sites. Got all bases covered plus power supply at home should we need.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #822
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 30
My Mood
Yeehaw

Sorted - front curtains

My earlier leak via the front window hinge seems to now be fixed, so this week I gave the van a good scrub down during the week.

Since I got this 'van, the front window curtains have given bother. The window has a slope, so there are curtain tracks top and bottom to keep them tight to the windows. The curtains are fitted at each end, with a series of plastic bobbles, which pop into the tracks - except they were so tight, they would often pop back out. I always intended to fix it, by spacing the upper track down by a few mm, to provide some slack, but never got around tuit.

Armed with a 2.4M 20x20mm length of wood and a dozen longer screws, today I set to and it is now fixed.

harrym1byt is offline Top  
Unread 1 Week Ago   #823
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

My Mood
Happy

Spent the day polishing a good quality wax over the van. Surprised how many small tar spots on the body, but did a few K's over the summer.

Disconnected solar panel fuses and battery to rest and check what if any voltage loss I get after 5 years service. I am sure they are working fine but with 190 watts of panels connected they keep batteries fully charged all the time so a disconnect and rest is only way of checking.

Completed the pre winter drain down of toilet system. I was surprised how much water came out from the cylinder system after moving van across the road to neighbors for storage whilst house roof gets painted. I normally open drain and then open all taps. I guess the short tow and movement has further drained either the cylinder and or pipes.
Recall seeing Truma I think, selling a pump or vacuum system and never considered the need for such. Maybe I should consider a little air pressure through the system to ensure a total drain?
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Unread 1 Week Ago   #824
DaveA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 163
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Been repairing the off side bed box hinges. On last trip pulled bedding out to make up the bed then stood on the door, pulling hinges out of the door.
Originally I used some Sikaflex as a temp repair that lasted rest of the week. Now I have removed the cardboard honeycomb filling and and replace it with timer glued in place, then screwed the hinges back in position. Better fixed now as I've screwed into 10 mm timber and not into 3 mm of hardboard.
DaveA is offline Top  
Unread 1 Week Ago   #825
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 30
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikijohn View Post
Recall seeing Truma I think, selling a pump or vacuum system and never considered the need for such. Maybe I should consider a little air pressure through the system to ensure a total drain?
I have never found such necessary - When I know I am on my last trip of the season, I just open the drains and leave them open until I get home, then I close them. Most all the water will have found its way out, before I leave the site. I always turn the water heater off, before I begin draining down and use most of it before draining, so it doesn't damage the grass.

harrym1byt is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Rikijohn (1 Week Ago)
Unread 1 Week Ago   #826
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

My Mood
Happy

Very happy.
I disconnected both batteries 4 days ago to allow them to rest and also measure voltage drop/ loss. House battery 13 volts 2nd battery the larger of the two and the one that has done a lot more work ie E Bikes 12.9 volts.

These batteries will be 5 years old in August and when I say they have done a lot of work last year alone 99 nights away. In total I am just over a full years nights of use since taking delivery.

Confirmation that my solar system and battery capacity is pretty much right. The lowest I know I have taken my large battery is 11.5 volts twice due to E bikes and poor weather. On good sunny days this battery will go to 12.3 volts on average.

Ok this does not mean they will last forever as batteries can and do fail at anytime for many reasons but at least I am not creating premature failure.

I should add the controller I use is a Sun Saver Duo designed for 1 or 2 individual batteries. It has a multi step charge processor and looks after each battery independently 24 hrs /365 days.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Unread 1 Week Ago   #827
davina
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 26
My Mood
Cheerful

We're renovating an old abbey executive 2 berth. The Mr has cut out all the damp. We got a donor van for free and we've stripped it out to use cupboard and toilet doors. Someone in the past has badly cut hardboard and used white gloss paint Everywhere! So now all the doors have been trying replaced. Rejigged to fit etc. Fingers crossed we'll be ready for our first trip put in Bertha 3 by July.
davina is offline Top  
Unread 1 Week Ago   #828
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

My Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym1byt View Post
I have never found such necessary - When I know I am on my last trip of the season, I just open the drains and leave them open until I get home, then I close them. Most all the water will have found its way out, before I leave the site. I always turn the water heater off, before I begin draining down and use most of it before draining, so it doesn't damage the grass.
Agree but I leave the taps open in case there is water in the pipes and or taps it can swell and not cause damage. Just surprised how much water came out given it traveled round a block before parking up.
Some 14 years of hard winters I have not suffered any pipe damage so like you can't see a need for special system.
Rikijohn is offline Top