Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Caravanning Top Tips

Notices

Caravanning Top Tips Great ideas from other caravanners and members with motorhomes & campers.

Unread 2nd May 2018   #11
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 34
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
Not much good if showering and the thing beeps. I would much rather see a system where it tells you at a glance how much water is left in the aquaroll or container.
Exactly my own thoughts. The cheaper device you have to go out and check the barrel anyway, just as easy to give it a kick instead. The more expensive device just tells you you are almost out of water.

I looked at the problem many years ago and decided the only solution was some means to know what the actual level in the barrel was, rather than you have a more than or less than indication. Which was why I ended up fitting a cheap commercial electronic water meter. It has an LCD display, a reset button and goes to sleep mode unless a button is pressed or water is drawn. It is not ideal, it just shows how much has been used in litres, but not how much remains without doing some sums.

I posted the details of the meter I used on here a year or two ago. It was a simple install, just fit in the pipe under the bed, between water inlet and the pressure switch. It worked on a cheap replaceable button cell.

harrym1byt is offline Top  
Unread 2nd May 2018   #12
myiot

Thanks (Total): 0
@surfer01: Thanks for your thoughts. The point of Aqualert is to prevent this. It tells you when the water is low.

@harrym1byt: Thanks for your thoughts. I gather you've done something like this. Our view is that a device which requires plumbing isn't viable. We have another (totally unrelated) product which does this.

Ian
myiot is offline Top  
Unread 2nd May 2018   #13
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,288
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Interesting I would like one when on site I like to walk to the tap several times for fitness so would be useful tomorrow me know when I'm getting full
phill is offline Top  
Unread 2nd May 2018   #14
phill
C4U Super Mod

Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

phill is offline Top  
Unread 2nd May 2018   #15
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by myiot View Post
@surfer01: Thanks for your thoughts. The point of Aqualert is to prevent this. It tells you when the water is low.

@harrym1byt: Thanks for your thoughts. I gather you've done something like this. Our view is that a device which requires plumbing isn't viable. We have another (totally unrelated) product which does this.

Ian
Plumbing??

Cutting into a plastic pipe to insert a push fit flow sensor, I think not? It would take no longer and no more difficult to do, than attaching your more expensive device to the tank just once. I am one who doesn't mind spending a bit of time fitting something which serves a real purpose, but I really hate having to repeatedly faff with something in order for it to work, as in fitting and removing the sensor every time I needed to refill the barrel. It would soon be put to one side and forgotten.

No I haven't built anything like I described, I came across the cheap water meter and decided that was a quick simple solution, rather than spending hours developing the solution I described above as a one off personal solution. As you would seem to be a semi commercial designer, I have suggested what I consider to be something I personally would desire and provided you with some clues as to how I would design it, to make it really useful.

If you were to build something along those lines I described, I might be interested enough to buy one from you.

Two of us have expressed our opinions on what you are already offering and pointed out their distinct limitations.

Unread 2nd May 2018   #16
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill View Post
I am certainly not doubting that both version do what it is suggested they do, its just that they could be made much more useful in my opinion.

I would be interested in the details of '...the unrelated product'.

Unread 15th May 2018   #17
myiot

Thanks (Total): 0
Hi Harry,
The unrelated project concerns metered delivery of hydrazine and HTP (high test peroxide)
With our advanced rocketry we will conquer the world!
We spit on your PIC idea
If you have something useful we're all ears
Ian
myiot is offline Top  
Unread 15th May 2018   #18
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by myiot View Post
Hi Harry,
The unrelated project concerns metered delivery of hydrazine and HTP (high test peroxide)
With our advanced rocketry we will conquer the world!
We spit on your PIC idea
If you have something useful we're all ears
Ian
That is just down right weird and no doubt intended to be mildly offensive. No doubt your reply was due to the less than favourable responses you have had to your gadgets, but the responses were made honestly and with the very best of intentions. If you really must persist with the 'enough/ not enough water' sensor and wireless doorbell idea, may I suggest that instead of the doorbell you could source some license free wireless modules and at much lower cost. Maplins prior to their recent demise used to offer such items - you might then be able to provide a multiple level display, which is more inline with peoples needs.

I made clear what type of device would satisfy my needs even better that what I already have installed. I even suggested how such a device could be put together. I would suggest you be extremely careful and wary of the HTP.

Unread 15th May 2018   #19
phill
C4U Super Mod

Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

myiot
please check your private messages
phill is offline Top