Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Caravanning Top Tips

Notices

Caravanning Top Tips Great ideas from other caravanners and members with motorhomes & campers.

Unread 26th November 2017   #1
doolz
Camping Master

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 12
My Mood
Amused

Tyron Bands- A Must Or Not?

I have just noted that the van tyres (tires ) do not have Tyron Bands fitted, had them on our other vans now the question is should I have them fitted ? I have been told you can not have punctures repaired when over the water = Europe you,r views please that,s if they allow us Brits to get in
doolz is offline Top  
Unread 26th November 2017   #2
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 1,280
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Fitted definitely we were over in France on the C4u rally at twinlakes and returning home with Rob (brightstar) we both hit a hole in the road on roadworks at night we had similar size caravans and both had a blowout , I managed to drive safely to a pull in and had no damage to van and could safely change the wheel, whereas Rob couldn't the tyre was slashing around inside the wheel arch causing lots of damage to it and running on the rims caused damage to his van it certainly made me realize that they are well worth fitting .

Also if you find a tyre dealer near to a caravan yard they will possibly fit them far cheaper than the big dealers I played £35 a tyre 18 months ago
Who Said Thanks:
doolz (26th November 2017)
Unread 26th November 2017   #3
doolz
Camping Master

My Mood
Amused

Thanks for that Phil will have them fitted asap tyre dealer 1/2 mile away he fitted 4 (tyres)to my micro van last year at a good price will call and get a quote should get a good price as he is also campervaner
doolz is offline Top  
Unread 26th November 2017   #4
DaveA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 163
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Had them fitted to my last swift, not fitted to my present Challenger, thinking about having them fitted, it's Christmas, just maybe.
Must be safer to have them fitted.
DaveA is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Unread 26th November 2017   #5
klyne
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 113
I am no longer a caravanner but if I were to return (most unlikely) I would consider not fitting them. I would buy the best tyres I could find and fit Tyrepal or similar which I think would give you warning of deflation. I am not questioning whether Tyron's work as I had them fitted to at least three caravans. The problem was that when you needed to change tyres they could be a real pain.

David

www.caravantravels.co.uk
klyne is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Unread 26th November 2017   #6
doolz
Camping Master

My Mood
Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyne View Post
I am no longer a caravanner but if I were to return (most unlikely) I would consider not fitting them. I would buy the best tyres I could find and fit Tyrepal or similar which I think would give you warning of deflation. I am not questioning whether Tyron's work as I had them fitted to at least three caravans. The problem was that when you needed to change tyres they could be a real pain.

David
Thanks for the replies did not know you could get "Tyrepal " for caravans have them or something similar on the car,but will take on board what Phill says about having a blow out and go with the bands as I always check the pressures on the vans tyres before we leave
doolz is offline Top  
Unread 27th November 2017   #7
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 436
Garage
A Tyron band will not prevent the tyre from shredding. It prevents the rim of the tyre coming off doing further damage.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto chased by a
Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
doolz (27th November 2017)
Unread 27th November 2017   #8
mitie 1
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 138
hi tyron bands are good on metal wheels but on alloys they have a thicker rim so it stops the tyre from comming off but the end of the day its down to you if you want them or not cheers .tom
mitie 1 is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
doolz (27th November 2017)
Unread 2nd December 2017   #9
portchester1
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 46
I have tyres replaced on alloy rims so without question simply using alloys in stead of steel rims "don't stop tyre coming off"!

I have had three caravan tyre failures in 40 plus years towing in France, two blow outs and both with Tyrons and both fitted with replacement tyres over there; so at least two tyre fitters in France can cope with Tyrons.I did work through the instructions with one, but they are capable of following the pictures even over there. Two with alloys, one with steel rims.

I believe they "help" and I am rich enough to always specify them and feel with a multi-thousand £ van and towcar the mitigation of risks to that investment, is worthwhile.

That said, by far the better investment today is in caravan TPMS.

I don't believe my failures were unavoidable blowouts but simply punctures picked up but not known about till the tyres physically overheated. With TPMS I am alerted long before the tyre is wrecked and along with that failure the van, the vechicle, and us two are exposed to hazards.

The Tyrons, simply add some further level of protection should a rapid deflation occur and come at a price I am willing to invest. Just like all the safety features in my car I pay for, I hope they are a total waste of my money in never being called on.
portchester1 is offline Top  
Unread 5th December 2017   #10
KerryS
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 465
Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

I have always specified them on new vans though I think on the Vanmaster they were standard
Posted via Mobile Device
KerryS is offline Top