Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 23rd December 2017   #1
Glenkeller
Master Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 2
Thanks (Total): 29
My Mood
Cheerful

Winter Solstice Trip

Thursday was the Winter Solstice and I was up bright and not too early to see the sun come up in the my own stone circle in my garden. We had decided to travel down to Penzance to join in their Solstice celebrations.

We set of down the A30 and had not gone far from Launceston when we came across a farm trailer which had overturned blocking the road. Police has not yet arrived on site and the traffic was bypassing the incident using a very conveniently places layby. For the rest of the journey we kept hearing that the A30 was closed at Bolventor, so we were lucky to get by. No-one was hurt.

The rest of the journey was uneventful and we arrivied in Penzance about 11am. The main road had been closed for a market and some parades that would happen later in the day. We wondered around the market and the shops in this quaint Cornish town. Having lunch was quite an adventure as we went into this place stating it was dog friendly, it was very old and very shabby but there was a lot of people in there so we decided to give it a try. The toilet was amazing as there was a sign on the tap saying turn the tap on the ceiling, sure enough there was a sink with taps upside down on on the ceiling and when you turned the tap it ran into the sink below!
The food was absolutely amazing when it eventually came, Terry had finished his before mine arrived.

We wandered around listening to carol singing and various bands playing then decided to go to Mousehole for the famous lights.

Mousehole is delightful with its harbour, shops, pubs etc. We spent a couple of hours until it got dark having tea and purusing the very individual shops. After watching the sun go down over the harbour, at 5 pm we, along with several hundred other people, watched the lights come on. What an amazing selection of scenes depicted. The lights are all around the harbour and even in the water. There was even lights on the hill above the village with Father Christmas's sleigh and reindeers high above the village.

What a great day and a good way to celbrate the Solstice. May I wish seasons greeting to you all and may your winter festival be peacful and happy, may this turn of the year bring you joy, love and laughter.
Glenkeller is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
phill (23rd December 2017), DaveA (23rd December 2017)
Unread 23rd December 2017   #2
doolz
Camping Master

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 12
My Mood
Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenkeller View Post
Thursday was the Winter Solstice and I was up bright and not too early to see the sun come up in the my own stone circle in my garden. We had decided to travel down to Penzance to join in their Solstice celebrations.

We set of down the A30 and had not gone far from Launceston when we came across a farm trailer which had overturned blocking the road. Police has not yet arrived on site and the traffic was bypassing the incident using a very conveniently places layby. For the rest of the journey we kept hearing that the A30 was closed at Bolventor, so we were lucky to get by. No-one was hurt.

The rest of the journey was uneventful and we arrivied in Penzance about 11am. The main road had been closed for a market and some parades that would happen later in the day. We wondered around the market and the shops in this quaint Cornish town. Having lunch was quite an adventure as we went into this place stating it was dog friendly, it was very old and very shabby but there was a lot of people in there so we decided to give it a try. The toilet was amazing as there was a sign on the tap saying turn the tap on the ceiling, sure enough there was a sink with taps upside down on on the ceiling and when you turned the tap it ran into the sink below!
The food was absolutely amazing when it eventually came, Terry had finished his before mine arrived.

We wandered around listening to carol singing and various bands playing then decided to go to Mousehole for the famous lights.

Mousehole is delightful with its harbour, shops, pubs etc. We spent a couple of hours until it got dark having tea and purusing the very individual shops. After watching the sun go down over the harbour, at 5 pm we, along with several hundred other people, watched the lights come on. What an amazing selection of scenes depicted. The lights are all around the harbour and even in the water. There was even lights on the hill above the village with Father Christmas's sleigh and reindeers high above the village.

What a great day and a good way to celbrate the Solstice. May I wish seasons greeting to you all and may your winter festival be peacful and happy, may this turn of the year bring you joy, love and laughter.
Many thanks for this report brought back memories of our first trip to Mousehole not in winter though our first summer holiday to Cornwall and driving into Mousehole as the light was fading and seeing the lights of the village reflecting in the mill pond harbour fantastic sight and lovely little village ,more years ago than I care to remember
doolz is offline Top  
Unread 23rd December 2017   #3
DaveA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 166
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Brings back memories for me as well, haven't been back to Mousehole for years, although I travel to Cornwall each year to a CL between Plymouth and Callington.
DaveA is offline Top