Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Unread 1 Week Ago   #1
woodchip2bert

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 0
Bike Racks

Anybody had any experience with fitting a bike rack to an Ace Award Brightstar and any ideas as to what on to go for. Not fussy as to where to fit either front A frame or rear end.
woodchip2bert is offline Top  
Unread 1 Week Ago   #2
klyne
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 113
Most UK caravans don't have a long enough A-Frame for a bike rack. The rear is a possibility, although most seem to say no but you do have to establish if there are mounting points. Have you thought about the car, either on the roof or a rear mounted bike rack?

David

www.caravantravels.co.uk
klyne is online now Top  
Unread 1 Week Ago   #3
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,112
My Mood
Happy

I mounted a simple lightweight tow bar to the rear of our 2013 Swift. Basically an H section frame that bolted to existing holes in chassis with a center box section that had a angle iron brace bolted to corner steadies. Tow ball tube into center box section secured by removable pin and R clip. To that I mounted a tow ball carrier. It worked ok but I did counter weight forward of the van axle to offset the additional rear weight to stabilize towing.

Previous Van was an Avondale and I made a tow ball mount to the A Frame . Worked with handle bars turned sideways but as David says A frames are not generally long enough.
I cringe when I see racks glued to rear panels as most do not have mounting pads built into the cowling. I would not do that and don't like holes in the body. Holes in rear cowlings without a very strong inner cowling mounting block have the potential to stress and subsequently leak and or fracture the cowling.

Yes you can buy a adhesive product that bonds anything to anything and is designed to last. Yes it is used in many bodybuilding workshops such as box bodies on trucks etc , but be aware unless those products are used strictly in accordance with the manufactures MSDS it will fail. Main cause surface not cleaned correctly and applied in dust or cold conditions plus finger prints onto prepared surface.
Hope this helps.
Rikijohn is offline Top