Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Caravanning Top Tips

Notices

Caravanning Top Tips Great ideas from other caravanners and members with motorhomes & campers.

Unread 9th June 2015   #1
flipperni
Amateur

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 3
My Mood
Fine

Dyeing caravan curtains

My caravan curtains were so badly faded i could no longer put off doing something with them. No idea how they got so faded as we only open the blinds when we are in the caravan. So i bit the bullet and decided to buy a machine dye and give it a go.

I was very nervous as to how they would turn out, as i knew it would be expensive if it all went wrong. The curtains were a green velvet so had no idea how they would take the dye.

So three boxes of dye later and three separate washes later they are finished. Over all i am pleased with them, but i probably should have used an extra half a box in each wash as there is still a very hint of a faded line in a couple on the ones that were really badly faded. Only draw back is the linings are now a pale green but i can live with that. Just have to give them a quick steam with the iron and then have a fight with them to get them back up.

Hope this is helpful if anyone is thinking of doing the same and are a bit nervous. Before and after pictures attached.

Regards Flipper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (59.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (115.5 KB, 10 views)

Vauxhall vectra 19 CDI
Bailey Ranger 2003 (Road Runner)
flipperni is offline Top  
Unread 9th June 2015   #2
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 34
My Mood
Yeehaw

I only really need to worry about the sun coming in via the front, the sides and rear are in shade. I don't like using the silvered blinds, to keep the sun out, so what I used to do was loose fit some of those cheap reflectors they sell to keep the heat out of car windscreens. Last year I got fed up with that and used the blinds, as I suspected it caused them to seize up a bit - fine after a bit of upsy/ downsy.

This year I spotted some of those survival space blankets being sold in a £1 shop, so I cut one of those to fit the the window. Ties just in the corners, it works fine.

Another point, is to ensure you don't entirely block the airflow, between window and improvised blind or proper blind. It can get extremely hot with no air flow.

Dyeing, I know nothing about

harrym1byt is offline Top