Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Caravanning Top Tips

Notices

Caravanning Top Tips Great ideas from other caravanners and members with motorhomes & campers.

Unread 12th February 2011   #1
ellieh12
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 957
Garage
My Mood
Angelic

Check your weights

The interwebby thing is a fantastic tool. Recently there have been a few threads posted asking advice on outfit matching. Two websites seem to crop up with regularity.

UKTow and WhatTowCar

Both the above sites offer a good starting point but do not contain the definitive answer. For example, I was looking at a particular caravan on UKTow and noticed that they don't actually specify the year of the caravan, only the models available. As weights can change from year to year and generally do, I would not recommend using this site for the definitive answer. Similarly, WhatTowCar is a Dutch website so their figures may not be for cars of UK spec.

Whilst both these websites and many others provide you with a good starting point, the only accurate place to find the weights for your car or caravan are on the plates on the actual vehicle. This is the information that the authorities will use in the event of any incidents. Also not all vehicles or caravans are listed on the site. Ignorance is no defence.

1993 Elddis Typhoon GT (revamped)

2015 Volvo V70 D4
2011 Volvo V70 D3
ellieh12 is offline Top  
Unread 12th February 2011   #2
Roving Rangies
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 499
My Mood
Amused

If in doubt, the best place to get accurate details etc. is from either the car manufacturer or the caravans!
Main dealers will usually have the spec details from over 10 years of age too!
Unread 12th February 2011   #3
Iveco
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellieh12 View Post
The interwebby thing is a fantastic tool. Recently there have been a few threads posted asking advice on outfit matching. Two websites seem to crop up with regularity.

UKTow and WhatTowCar

Both the above sites offer a good starting point but do not contain the definitive answer. For example, I was looking at a particular caravan on UKTow and noticed that they don't actually specify the year of the caravan, only the models available. As weights can change from year to year and generally do, I would not recommend using this site for the definitive answer. Similarly, WhatTowCar is a Dutch website so their figures may not be for cars of UK spec.

Whilst both these websites and many others provide you with a good starting point, the only accurate place to find the weights for your car or caravan are on the plates on the actual vehicle. This is the information that the authorities will use in the event of any incidents. Also not all vehicles or caravans are listed on the site. Ignorance is no defence.
I know it not very help full if you are trying to decide which car or caravan you want, but the only definite answer is to take both car and caravan to a weigh bridge with both fully loaded as you would when going away, and this will the gross weights, and also check under the (usually) bonnet and check the Gross train weight (GTW) of the tow car, and this will give the maximum figure's

Its ok giving max figure's on the caravan and car but it depends what people put in them , things like People, Baggage kitchen sink (joking) and then the awning gas, battery etc etc, and you will soon be over the max weights for both van and car.

Radiotwo
Iveco is offline Top  
Unread 12th February 2011   #4
ellieh12
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 957
Garage
My Mood
Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iveco View Post
I know it not very help full if you are trying to decide which car or caravan you want, but the only definite answer is to take both car and caravan to a weigh bridge with both fully loaded as you would when going away, and this will the gross weights, and also check under the (usually) bonnet and check the Gross train weight (GTW) of the tow car, and this will give the maximum figure's

Its ok giving max figure's on the caravan and car but it depends what people put in them , things like People, Baggage kitchen sink (joking) and then the awning gas, battery etc etc, and you will soon be over the max weights for both van and car.

Radiotwo
Thank you for your comments but the point of this thread was to point out that websites can only give you a general idea of the weights. The plated values or as Vivien suggested the manufacturers are the only place to get a definitive answer on your max towing limit, kerbweight or MTPLM. Once you have already spent your hard earned cash on an outfit it is too late to find out you have a poor match.

I agree that overloading can be a serious problem but not everyone has the luxury of having a weighbridge nearby. Also, I hope you are not suggesting that everyone should take their outfit to a weighbridge before every outing.

1993 Elddis Typhoon GT (revamped)

2015 Volvo V70 D4
2011 Volvo V70 D3
ellieh12 is offline Top  
Unread 12th February 2011   #5
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,288
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

I agree a weighbridge is the way to go, once you have got your car and van many only charge a fiver and you have the correct weight not a plate on the car my mondeo tourer comes as1560kgs when weighed with 2 adults and only half a tank of diesel no tools or luggage it weighed in at 1585kgs then we went home and loaded the car as travelling with awning telly shoes etc in but still only half a tank of fuel it weighed in at a whopping 1655kgs over 100kgs more than the plate, our van all set out with everything in weighed in at 1402kgs
phill is offline Top  
Unread 12th February 2011   #6
expat1
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 703
As Ellie pointed out. The weighbridge is a good idea but how many sellers will let you take their car or van away to a weighbridge fully loaded just so you can see what it weighs before you buy it.

John

Previous rig :-
2008 Mondeo 2.0 tdci 1993 Elddis Typhoon GT

New rig :-
2011 Volvo V70 D3 (163) 1993 Elddis Typhoon GT

D:\My Data\My Pictures\Fuji\New Folder\Volvo Banner_2.jpg

Are you looking at changing your towcar? Then why not check out the Vehicle Kerbweight Section

"Will someone else's life be brighter tomorrow because of what you have done today?"
expat1 is offline Top  
Unread 12th February 2011   #7
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,288
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

not many i bet
phill is offline Top  
Unread 16th February 2011   #8
Roving Rangies
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 499
My Mood
Amused

If a dealer is worth its weight in gold, it should be able to give accurate weights of the caravan, so you can do the last bit of looking in the handbook for the weight of your car!!
All that's left is to weigh what you need and NOT what you think you may need. Its not hard to keep track of what is taken on holiday, you just have to limit what goes in a caravan to start with. The Caravan Club issue a list of weights which is helpful see Caravan Club Handbook Page 655
Unread 14th March 2017   #9
arryawke

Thanks (Total): 0
Thanks for all the helpful tips above. I'm new to caravanning, and this is one topic which I am still getting my head around. I've just done a Camping and Caravanning Club tow course, which was helpful. However, working out what you can tow with your car is not as easy as it sounds! What with the variety of models of caravan available and the choice of cars.

I found this free service useful for understanding the towing capacity of your car.
arryawke is offline Top  
Unread 14th March 2017   #10
Paulw
C4U Admin

Thanks (Total): 729
My Mood
Amazed

You are very welcome to our friendly forum

Free Caravan/Car Stickers

Caravanning4u Shop

My Photo's