Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Caravanning Top Tips

Notices

Caravanning Top Tips Great ideas from other caravanners and members with motorhomes & campers.

Unread 5th May 2015   #1
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 1,288
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

just a fire reminder check

Caravan:

Ensure that working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are fitted and checked regularly. This is now a legal requirement.

Have your gas supply and appliances serviced regularly and make sure a service is carried out before you take your first trip of the season

Leave at least six metres between neighbouring caravans to reduce the risk of fire spreading

Make sure your caravan is well ventilated and vents are not obstructed

Keep a torch handy for emergencies. Avoid using a candle in case of a gas leak or similar hazard.

Keep a fire extinguisher near the caravan door. There are a number of different types on the market, and it is worth noting that the Caravan Club do not recommend that you use a dry powder extinguisher inside a caravan as they are not suitable for small spaces. Dry powder extinguishers can limit your visibility and the powder can be inhaled, not to mention the mess that they will create. They suggest that an AFFF foam extinguisher would be a better option. We would also recommend buying a fire blanket.

Familiarise yourself with fire fighting procedures and equipment on the campsite you plan to stay on

Know where the nearest landline telephone is in case of emergency. Do not rely on a mobile phone signal.

Know where the fire hoses, extinguishers and fire alarm are on site. Report any damage or theft of these items to the site management immediately.

Turn off the gas supply at the cannister if you are leaving the caravan empty for any length of time and burn off the residual gas in the pipes

Store gas bottles away from any heat source

If you are using portable heaters make sure that they are kept away from flammable fabrics, and do not dry clothes or towels over them

Awning/Tent:

Never cook inside an awning or tent if you are using a burner style cooker, or a barbecue. Keep barbecues and other cooking equipment well away from awning, tents, long grass or any other flammable material.
Do not smoke inside an awning or tents
Never use candles inside or near an awning or tents, torches are far safer and provide better light
Do not light campfires unless the site permits them and they are a safe distance away – remember that sparks can travel some distance on a breeze
Never use paraffin or petrol to light a barbecue or stove
If you are camping on your own land, make sure that the grass is kept short to minimise the risk of fire
Have an escape route planned – be prepared to cut your way out of the tent or awning if necessary
phill is offline Top  
Unread 5th May 2015   #2
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 263
My Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Ensure that working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are fitted and checked regularly. This is now a legal requirement.
Is that correct that it is a legal requirement?

Jim

The truth is out there!
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it.
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Unread 5th May 2015   #3
phill
C4U Super Mod

Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Apparently so Jim
phill is offline Top  
Unread 5th May 2015   #4
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,115
My Mood
Happy

Excellent thread Phil. A topic I believe can never be over quoted.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Unread 6th May 2015   #5
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 263
My Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikijohn View Post
Excellent thread Phil. A topic I believe can never be over quoted.
Can I make a plea that when something is quoted that credit is given to the source so that we do know where it came from.
My suspicion you see is that that "legal requirement" may be a legal requirement for Caravan club sites but it reads as though it is a legal requirement for every touring caravan to have one. Now don't misunderstand me as I am not saying it is not a good idea but just trying to get correct what is legally required.

Incidently email topic notifiers are not working.

Jim

The truth is out there!
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it.
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Unread 6th May 2015   #6
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,115
My Mood
Happy

Hi Jim Yes my notification has not worked for many months.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Unread 6th May 2015   #7
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 34
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill View Post
Have your gas supply and appliances serviced regularly and make sure a service is carried out before you take your first trip of the season
Can I just add to that, a little extra tip?

It is by no means a way to replace a proper gas test and inspection, but can be used to supplement those and much more regularly...

If you turn the gas main valve on you will hear a suss noise as the gas flows to pressurise the pipes. If you then turn it off, returning several hours latter, to turn it back on and hear the suss noise - your system is loosing pressure somewhere, you have a leak.

The longer you can leave it pressurised without any gas being lost using the above test, the more gas tight your system is. Its a test I use regularly and my system will hold its pressure for many weeks. No system is completely gas tight, what matters is the how much gas is lost.

In my van I alone could smell a very occasional weak smell of gas, no one else - it had been checked and nothing found. My above test was showing a slight loss of pressure over several days. I ended up making a U tube bubbler to fit in the main gas line, just to prove I was correct in that there was the the very slightest of leaks. One tiny bubble every 30 to 60 minutes or so.

Then I tested it further by turning all appliances off at their isolators and by a process of elimination traced the leak to a union on the oven.

So my test described above is part of my regular routine, between services.

harrym1byt is offline Top  
Unread 6th May 2015   #8
phill
C4U Super Mod

Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Here you go its one of the many and I mean many of the mailshots I get

http://www.lifesure.co.uk/blog/2013/...+2015+-+Failed
phill is offline Top  
Unread 25th May 2015   #9
Pitfour

Thanks (Total): 0
Thanks for this, I think I have ignored this area.

I do have a smoke alarm but do not have the carbon monoxide alarm.

I will order one of these, who would check the van for gas leaks?
Unread 25th May 2015   #10
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 34
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitfour View Post
Thanks for this, I think I have ignored this area.

I do have a smoke alarm but do not have the carbon monoxide alarm.

I will order one of these, who would check the van for gas leaks?
Strictly speaking - a properly qualified gas engineer.

I carry out a regular test, every time I use the caravan, with all of the isolation valves turned on. If you turn the gas on at the regulator, you will hear a hiss, as it pressurises the pipes. If you then turn it off and go back some time later and it hisses again when you turn the gas back on, obviously it has lost some pressure due to a leak. I can (now) go back to mine weeks later and turn it back on without hearing the hiss.

It is not a replacement for a proper gas soundness test, but puts my mind at rest knowing I don't have a leak and I can do it much more frequently.

Having said what I do, it has flagged up leaks for me in the past. Last time it was so very slight, I ended up having to make a bubbler to find it - just a U tube with oil in the U, fitted in line with the low pressure pipe. If gas is being lost, bubbles will appear to flow in the U. So slight was the leak, it passed a soundness test with the leak.

harrym1byt is offline Top