Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Caravanning Top Tips

Notices

Caravanning Top Tips Great ideas from other caravanners and members with motorhomes & campers.

Unread 8th May 2010   #11
salero

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 0
Right spent the whole day touring round caravan dealers on the south coast, we have finally narrowed down our choice of vans to one of the following, does anyone have any expereince good or bad points on any of them:

Bailey Pegasus 462 (2 berth)
Bailey Pegasus 514 (4 berth)
Bailey Pegasus 534 (4 berth with fixed bed)

There will only be a maximum of 2 adults sleeping, however we do have 6 cocker spaniels that we show and hence why we wish to purchase a van to take a holiday without paying for house sitters, etc. We will be purchasing an anwing and screens from D&T to ensure we have a safe enclosure for them. The dogs will live in van with us, but we wish to limit the areas they are permitted to have, for that reason I am not so sure about a 2 berth van.

Any help advice really appreciated....
salero is offline Top  
Unread 8th May 2010   #12
Geoff I
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 628
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by salero View Post
Right spent the whole day touring round caravan dealers on the south coast, we have finally narrowed down our choice of vans to one of the following, does anyone have any expereince good or bad points on any of them:

Bailey Pegasus 462 (2 berth)
Bailey Pegasus 514 (4 berth)
Bailey Pegasus 534 (4 berth with fixed bed)

There will only be a maximum of 2 adults sleeping, however we do have 6 cocker spaniels that we show and hence why we wish to purchase a van to take a holiday without paying for house sitters, etc. We will be purchasing an anwing and screens from D&T to ensure we have a safe enclosure for them. The dogs will live in van with us, but we wish to limit the areas they are permitted to have, for that reason I am not so sure about a 2 berth van.

You need to be carefull because a lot of sites will not take more than 3 dogs, plus you need to do some research what sites you can get on.

All the best with your choice.
Unread 8th May 2010   #13
salero

We have found many dog friendly sites recommened by people who have used them in the past and have checked these and they are happy to take this number of doggies, so no problems on that front, just not sure which van to go for does anyone have any good or bad points about these vans please?
salero is offline Top  
Unread 8th May 2010   #14
ellieh12
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 957
Garage
My Mood
Angelic

As the Pegasus with it's Alu-Tech construction is new to the market, there is very little information as to good and bad points. I think there are only one or two forum members who have one so feedback will be limited.
Posted via Mobile Device
ellieh12 is offline Top  
Unread 8th May 2010   #15
Contented Canines
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 52
Garage
My Mood
Shocked

Quote:

Hi Salero.
We bought our van only last month based solely on our dogs. Originally we liked the idea of a fixed bed, but upon seeing how much space they wasted, we went with a double dinette, so that we have the option of taking our son who would use the dinette bed, as well as taking the dogs (2 German Shepherds and a yorkie), or leave the dinette as the eating area and allow the dogs to have the area under the table and the corridor.
It only takes a minute to make the front seats into our bed, but e knew that having the fixed bed would be more of a bigger hinderance than just spending a minute making the bed each night.
Like you, our dogs are very very important, and their needs probably come first before ours. Well, not probably, THEY DO!!!!!!!!

"You may only have your dog for a short time in your life, but your dog has you for his whole lifetime"

www.manytearsrescue.org/ Many Tears Animal Rescue for dogs and cats.
www.doglost.co.ukif you have lost, found or have info regarding lost/found dogs please.

Any opinion or comment expressed is my own, and not in anyway to be thought of being that of my employer. (Apparently I have to say this)
Contented Canines is offline Top  
Unread 8th May 2010   #16
Geoff I
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 628
Garage
Quote:
We have found many dog friendly sites recommened by people who have used them in the past and have checked these and they are happy to take this number of doggies, so no problems on that front, just not sure which van to go for does anyone have any good or bad points about these vans please?
Glad the doggie front is all sorted, as for the caravan its an all new design but I believe they do have a good warranty, its very hard knownig what you personally want in a caravan, ie fixed bed or like we do just make the seats up to make a bed, but that is your choice, never easy, like Ellie says there are a couple of members with the new Baileys so we just need them to post a review.

Good luck with your choice.

And when you have bought one and used it a few times give us a review of the caravan.

Happy days.
Unread 8th May 2010   #17
expat1
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 703
The other thing about your shortlist is that they are quite heavy vans.

Done a bit of digging and

VW Caddy Maxi Life 2.0 (figures from VW)

Kerbweight = 1515Kg
GVW = 2315Kg
Max towing limit = 1500Kg

Pegasus (figures from Bailey)

Miro = 1250Kg
MTPLM = 1450Kg

Miro = 1266Kg
MTPLM = 1482Kg

The max towing limit is the weight of trailer the car can sucsessfully move away from rest on a 12% incline. Although the van appears to be within all the specs of the car I would wonder if it may struggle a little on hills.

I am probably being over cautious as you don't say what if any towing experience you have. It is advised that beginners to caravan towing try to stick to a van with an MTPLM that's no gtreater than 85% of the towcars kerbweight (yes folks. I know it's a devisive topic). Both these 4 berths are (in terms of MTPLM) close to a 1:1 match with your car (and even closer to your max towing limit).

Just thought I'd pour some oil on otherwise calm waters........

John

Previous rig :-
2008 Mondeo 2.0 tdci 1993 Elddis Typhoon GT

New rig :-
2011 Volvo V70 D3 (163) 1993 Elddis Typhoon GT

D:\My Data\My Pictures\Fuji\New Folder\Volvo Banner_2.jpg

Are you looking at changing your towcar? Then why not check out the Vehicle Kerbweight Section

"Will someone else's life be brighter tomorrow because of what you have done today?"
expat1 is offline Top  
Unread 30th May 2010   #18
salero

Just to let everyone know, OH has now changed his mind and is changing his nice sports in for a new L200 so that we can now go for a twin axle, my preference is the Swift Conqueror 645 and his is the Swift Challenger 630, 2010 models, has anyone any expereince of these vans?
salero is offline Top  
Unread 30th May 2010   #19
fleetgold
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 30
Quote:

I chose an L shaped lounge because it left more floor space for the dogs, particularly if I had a litter of puppies as there is space for me to put up an area for mum and pups. I also show my dogs and do a lot of stewarding on the days I am not showing.

Are you intending to stay on the campsites attached to the dog shows? It is where I do most of my caravanning and thoroughly enjoy myself there. Perhaps I will meet you some time.
Unread 31st May 2010   #20
salero

Smile

Hi Joan

Yes we will be OH is bored with being left at home when I go for champ shows and all weekend open ones, so we thought this would give us mini breaks and also let him not have to spend all day at the shows, which he hates, he only normally lates 3 hours at a time lol - what breeds do you have, when we get it we should meet
salero is offline Top