Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 2nd September 2018   #1
KerryS
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 465
Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

Tourer or motorhome

We have been caravan tourers for almost 40 years now and every now and then wwe wonder about changing to a motorhome. At the moment we have a caravan, a Volvo towcar and a dogmobile van that Jan uses to sleep in for an odd night or two at dog competitions.
An option is a motorhome for holidays and Jan to use plus a small runabout car.

So, bearing in mind storage space at home, we went to have a look at some van conversions, I don’t know the terminology for the type, but basically a large Fiat Ducatto, no GRP extension or elevating roof. Also bearing in mind safe storage for the dogs when travelling.

So....where the heck would everything go? So little storage and cramped accommodation we felt.

So same conclusion as every other time we’ve looked at it, not for us at this time.
Posted via Mobile Device
KerryS is offline Top  
Unread 2nd September 2018   #2
klyne
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 114
PVC's (panel van conversions) are pretty compact inside but that is the idea because they are also compact on the outside!!! Perhaps you would be better off looking at coachbuilts?

David

www.caravantravels.co.uk
klyne is offline Top  
Unread 3rd September 2018   #3
carabiker
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 469
Hi Kerry
We changed from a large 4 Berth caravan to a 7 mtr 2 berth Swift motorhome coach built 3 years ago we are limited on the length of the drive at home
no loss of comfort , big bed, loads of storage Alde heating, separate shower in the bath room large fridge separate freezer which and carry a weeks supply of food
Very much a caravan lay out

As with any change in life ie from a caravan to MH you need to find a HM that suits your life style and requirements
Driving a MH is a lot easer than towing , setting up on site takes about 10 mins We carry some fresh water in the onboard tank

There are more choice of lay out / configuration in the MH ,s than caravans yes its hard work finding the right lay out and the internal equipment you may require, drop down beds are popular

Re the Dogs
we fitted a small ***8220;D***8221; hook to the floor near the two cab seats, the dog has a short webbing lead fitted between the ***8220;D***8221; hook and dogs harness, she sleeps /sits between the tow cab seats, if the HM is a 4 berth / 4 seats with seat belts the dogs can be harnessed the 2 passenger seat belts , If cages are used then they travel in the area between the lounge seats

On board water tank (fresh and grey ) make life easy if there are Mh services points no aqua roll / waste tank ( keep all the caravan equipment if you change ) only use aqua roll waste tank for ralley,s

We dumped the LR disco for a Nissan which is road tax FREE and a claimed 70 mpg

To us its beast move we have made after 40 years of caravanning we are now 70 years old (young ish ) but age takes its toll on the body !!!!

Swift do a range of MH some are narrow body width but coach built ,,new 2019 web site up and running

Dave and Yvonne tamzee the dog
Skype name ;-david.rose_m31
Adventure before dementia
carabiker is offline Top  
Unread 3rd September 2018   #4
KerryS
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 465
Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

Thanks guys for comments. I was a little worried I might start a tour v MH argument.

The caravan is stored at home under a car(avan)port alongside the garage at the bottom of the drive. This means reversing the ‘van partly into the drive between two brick walls. Then motor move into slot with a left/right wiggle so as to leave the garage door free. A coach built MH simply would not fit hence looking at the PVCs (thanks for the definition) and even that’d be tight I think. If the MH stood in front of the garage it’d have to come out every time we needed the baby car or the MGB out.

Yes, Dave, we’d seen the narrow coach built ones too. Rio last year (2018) and Escape Compact. Seemed worst of both worlds, tight on internal space and too tall for the car(avan)port.

So, for now, it’s status quo!

This was all prompted by Jan going to Poland for the Euro Flyball champs with one of our dogs. She shared with a friend driving as I hadn’t fancied the 1000 mile plus tow but perhaps might have done with a MH. In 2019, the championship is near Frankfurt and will probably tow and add holiday days either side.
Posted via Mobile Device
KerryS is offline Top  
Unread 3rd September 2018   #5
mitie 1
Veteran Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 144
hi kerrys i would try and hire a mh and see how you would get on with it i know a lot a people go out spend a lot of money on mh and find out they dont like them you waste a lot of money that way hope this helps cheers .tom
mitie 1 is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
KerryS (3rd September 2018)
Unread 3rd September 2018   #6
klyne
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 114
We changed from a caravan six years ago and have no intention of going back but we are looking at smaller vans, currently ours is 7.5 metres long which is wonderful in terms of space but we never take it off site. We did look at PVC's and liked the compactness but didn't feel we could use the settees as two singles. Neither of us are skinny, particularly me!!! So we continue our search although the Bailey Advance 66-2 is a possible favourite. No dogs to think about so not a problem for us.

David

www.caravantravels.co.uk
klyne is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
KerryS (3rd September 2018)
Unread 4th September 2018   #7
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 444
Garage
IMHO a motor home has no advantage over a caravan. Once on site unless you are prepared to walk everywhere, you are stuck on that pitch. With a caravan if we have forgotten to buy the milk while out, I jump in the car and pop down to the store to buy a pint. We can also go out when it pleases us and do not have to stick to bus or train time tables to get to the shops etc. Motorhomes seem to depreciate a lot faster than a caravan of the same year.

I often wonder at the mentality of some people who spend many thousands on a motor home and then try and find places where they do not have to pay site fees. Another mind boggling whim is towing a small car behind the motor home.

However each to their own and thank goodness we are all different even if we are weird!

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto chased by a
Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
KerryS (5th September 2018)
Unread 5th September 2018   #8
BigBear
Amateur

Thanks (Total): 2
I asked the same question: Caravan or motorhome?

I tried doing it logically:
Motorhome Caravan
Tax RFL Servicing
Insurance Insurance
Tax Keep battery charged
Servicing Have to have a vehicle capable of towing van
Start up once a week

I was also always tinkering with van due to age.

The biggest decider was that I had a certain amount of money, I could buy a 12 year old motorhome or a 7 year old caravan AND a new towcar!

We are all different and make subjective choices mine was due to the above.
BigBear is offline Top  
Unread 5th September 2018   #9
BigBear
Amateur

Thanks (Total): 2
Noticed that the two columns I made Motorhome and Caravan have been squeezed together after posting, hope you can still read it properly.
BigBear is offline Top  
Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #10
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,117
My Mood
Happy

So interesting Kerry. Officially we have not looked but I do know Carole paid a lot of interest at the last show we were at. Things going on in her mind I was not fully aware of but have since discovered. LOL. I had a damn rough patch for a few months with medication change etc and she told the doctor since she thought my driving days were over etc etc etc We love the caravan but I am forever mindful what happens when I can't manage anymore. Shed drives most of the time now and is good with the van but I guess this summer is going to be the telling. I hope we keep the van but can appreciate your logic and we can never say never.
Rikijohn is offline Top