Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Caravanning Top Tips

Notices

Caravanning Top Tips Great ideas from other caravanners and members with motorhomes & campers.

Unread 1st May 2018   #1
carabiker
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 467
aqua roll water level indicators

from an other forum

The first device is 'Aquatest' which is a tiny handheld monitor which detects water through the side of the container. It's much better than lifting your container or kicking it, and it's very cheap.
The second is 'Aqualert' which is more sophisticated. It sounds a wireless alarm inside the van if the water is getting low.
Skype name ;-david.rose_m31
Adventure before dementia
carabiker is online now Top  
Unread 1st May 2018   #2
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 439
Garage
Good idea however as we have an onboard tank it is not an issue as we can see exactly how much water we have left in the onboard tank.
I notice that although they have the price of the Aquatest they do not disclose the price of the Aqualert although they do say it is less than the cost of an aquaroll which normally sells for about £50 new.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto chased by a
Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Unread 1st May 2018   #3
carabiker
C4U Super Mod

I've set up a 'trading' web page to sell Aquatest, initially for £2. 99. Aqualert is in the pipeline & I imagine that it would sell for £35-£50. It's quite tedious to
assemble & I'm not sure that I want to do this personally on a larger scale.
Unread 1st May 2018   #4
Surfer01
Camping God

Garage
You said it was from another forum and then state that it is yourself advertising on the forum? Isn't that against forum rules? Good luck with your venture anyway.

Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Unread 1st May 2018   #5
carabiker
C4U Super Mod

[QUOTE=Surfer01;258579]You said it was from another forum and then state that it is yourself advertising on the forum? Isn't that against forum rules? Good luck with your venture anyway.[/QUOTEI hi I pasted the info from the other forum but c4u would not let me edit the text to be clear its not my product I am just passing on soon info for c4u members
Unread 1st May 2018   #6
Surfer01
Camping God

Garage
[QUOTE=carabiker;258580]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
You said it was from another forum and then state that it is yourself advertising on the forum? Isn't that against forum rules? Good luck with your venture anyway.[/QUOTEI hi I pasted the info from the other forum but c4u would not let me edit the text to be clear its not my product I am just passing on soon info for c4u members
Okay no problem and thanks for the info anyway.

Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Unread 1st May 2018   #7
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 33
My Mood
Yeehaw

Both seem a faff to set up, use and only the Aqualert seems to actually positively warn you or give a constant measure of the actual amount left. Nice and simple would be a float, with a marked rod which pokes out of the fill hole, if that could be set up. The Aquatest seems a rather pointless device, having to go out and run the device up and down the side of the container - no easier than just looking in or giving it a kick.

Weighing the container with an indoor wireless display of the weight, would be the most accurate method possible.

I have an outside water container, so had to go out to check it. Mine uses a pressure switch to turn on the pump - I couldn't tell when the water ran out and the pump ran dry, except by going to check the LED on the panel was lit.

I added a 12v piezo sounder to the pump circuit, so when ever the pump ran, it sounded. Annoying, but you get to ignore it unless it sounds continuously - better than the pump running dry and burning out.

In the pipe from the pump, under a bed - I added a cheap digital flow meter / water meter. It cost no more than £10. It measures the amount in litres and tenths that has flowed through it since it was last reset. Its not very accurate, but near enough to give a clue of how much you have used and how much there is remaining in the tank. Every time fill the 50L Waterhog, I reset the meter, when it shows 40L used, I know I have 10L left. Actually, due to inaccuracy - 50L measures as 37L, so when it gets to 31L I know there is around 10L remaining.

harrym1byt is offline Top  
Unread 2nd May 2018   #8
myiot

Thanks (Total): 0
Hi, I am the designer of Aquatest & Aqualert. It's great to see that we've sparked a discussion, as well as a few sales

Aquatest is a very low priced device. Currently available for £2.99 including delivery. It's a tiny thing that you just touch against your water container (or toilet cassette) to tell you if there is 'water' in there at the point of contact. It takes absolutely no setting up. It does no more than you do already - picking up or rocking your container but it's probably more accurate than you are. Aquatest can measure the height of liquid in your container to within about 1cm. That's a couple of pints in an Aquaroll? To use it to best advantage you should probably decide when you're low enough for a refill. We have found the lower tyre to be a good point - there's (eg) one quick shower left?

Aqualert is different. It continually monitors the water in your container & sounds an alarm if the water is getting low. It's much more useful but more expensive too

We are designers rather than manufacturers. Aquatest is trivial to build so we're happy to do this 'in house'

Aqualert is more complex. We're currently investigating volume production, distribution etc. The web page should be updated in the next few days re pricing. We're certainly capable of delivering in small volumes right now.

Always happy to receive your views.

Ian
myiot is offline Top  
Unread 2nd May 2018   #9
Surfer01
Camping God

Garage
Not much good if showering and the thing beeps. I would much rather see a system where it tells you at a glance how much water is left in the aquaroll or container.

Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Unread 2nd May 2018   #10
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 33
My Mood
Yeehaw

Apologies for the apparent multiple replies earlier, I did what I usually do - post a reply then later edit it to revise it - instead the site just posted my revisions of my original

myiot - If you want to develop something useful like this, why not source a cheap flow sensor - just a rotating paddle in a pipe, using a magnet on the paddle, to trigger an Hall effect switch? Both of your devices involve repeated fitting or going out with the cheaper device to check the level. What is needed is something much more passive and easier to use, preferably with no need for batteries...

From the above mentioned device, you can derive a pulse for each rotation of the paddle. Each pulse denotes a tiny quantity of water used, from that it can derive what is remaining.

Feed that as in input to a pic, add a simple LED to the pic to give a level remaining inside the caravan and run it all from 12v. There would need to be a reset button, to tell the pic you have just filled the container, a calibration button to set the point where the container is empty (so it would work with several water container sizes) and maybe an on/off switch for the display to save battery power.

You could maybe change the calibration button for a dil switch to set the container capacity. You could maybe change the LED level display for a LCD bar-graph or even a 0 to 100% level display. An extra refinement would be a peizo sounder which regularly emitted a beep at below 10% level.

In use, you fill the container, press the reset button - simple, job done.

harrym1byt is offline Top