Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 19th August 2012   #1
Petemate
Elite Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 69
Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

Alko AKS 1300 pads

Gonna replace my pads on our AKS 1300 before next trip out. I knew they were getting low due to the virtually non-existant 'gap' twixt the wheels and the head. But we have just returned from a trip down to a CS near Fareham. On the trip out, I found on arrival that the lever had worked its way about halfway up from the fully-closed position. I was sure I had fully applied it before setting off but after hooking up for the return, I made absolutely sure it was fully down. On arrival home, I again found it had worked its way halfway off. I am hoping that a new pair of pads will sort it, and intend anyway to fully strip the unit and grease up all the moving bits. Out of interest, anyone else had this with worn pads? Interestingly, the outfit did not exhibit any swaying etc and believe me I wasn't hanging about (Travellers Rest near Wickham/Oxford 80.6 miles via A32-M27/M3/A34 one and a half hours), but I do ensure that the 'van is loaded properly with the correct noseweight, car & 'van tyre pressures all correct blah blah.
BTW this third trip of the year was great - unexpected brill weather, we did I O W Fri and even went to the seaside yesterday!! SUN CREAM TOO!!
Pete
Petemate is offline Top  
Unread 19th August 2012   #2
mlkey
Veteran Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 186
I have the locking pin with my AKS 1300, always lock it on when towing and so never had the lever lift. Do you have the locking pin?

If you do not have one, this is what they are like.

Hope that helps.
mlkey is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (20th August 2012)
Unread 20th August 2012   #3
Petemate
Elite Camper

Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkey View Post
I have the locking pin with my AKS 1300, always lock it on when towing and so never had the lever lift. Do you have the locking pin?

Hope that helps.
Thanks Mikey - Looks like a good idea. Ironically, I was thinking of doing a mod along those lines! However, I will also renew the pads.
Ta again
Pete
Petemate is offline Top  
Unread 20th August 2012   #4
DaveA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 184
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Quote:

Hope that helps.
I personally would not lock the hitch to the tow ball, if you, or more importantly, the emergency services need to separate the van from the car quickly, they would be not be able to. It would be useful when parking in a service area, for security, only.
DaveA is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
mlkey (21st August 2012)
Unread 20th August 2012   #5
mlkey
Veteran Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
I personally would not lock the hitch to the tow ball, if you, or more importantly, the emergency services need to separate the van from the car quickly, they would be not be able to. It would be useful when parking in a service area, for security, only.
The pin is not exactly industrial and the emergency services would make very short work of it with their kit. It is reassuring knowing the hitch can not release. Always have locked to the hitch when towing (23 years on and off) and will continue to do so.
mlkey is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (20th August 2012)
Unread 20th August 2012   #6
Petemate
Elite Camper

Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

Possibly a valid point regarding emergency services, but I suppose they would get it off quick. However, more importantly for me I reckon that new pads will sort my problem as I have always though that my stabiliser lever was far too easy to push down to lock, much more so lately. Having not had it from new, I had nothing to go on.
Petemate is offline Top  
Unread 21st August 2012   #7
DaveA
Hall Of Famer

Garage
My Mood
Fine

Hi Petemate
You can tell if your pads need changing, if you look at the front of your hitch, you will see some marks, tow each side of the body of the hitch and one on each of the pad holders (can't see them on photo) just above the centre line. If you hitch up to your motor then let the pad rest on the ball without pushing down you can read the wear using these lines. If the single line is between the double lines pads OK if it goes by the double line they need replacing. You can also check each pad by remove the top part of the handle and reading the same, it will show the wear on each pad. No need to change the pads if they are OK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG000424.jpg (87.5 KB, 15 views)
DaveA is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (21st August 2012)
Unread 21st August 2012   #8
DaveA
Hall Of Famer

Garage
My Mood
Fine

Quote:
The pin is not exactly industrial and the emergency services would make very short work of it with their kit. It is reassuring knowing the hitch can not release. Always have locked to the hitch when towing (23 years on and off) and will continue to do so.
Sorry Mikey, I was not saying there is a right and wrong way, just that I would not lock the hitch.
Petemate has to find the cause before locking off.
As for your last point, I can add at least 20years to that
DaveA is offline Top  
Unread 21st August 2012   #9
Petemate
Elite Camper

Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

Dave - looks like your stabiliser is different to my AKS1300. I'm just going to get the 'van out in the next 1/2 hr to wash it, and while I've got it out on the front I will check again thoroughly with it hitched up and report back.
Pete

ETA
Not hitched it up yet, not even washed it (well, I HAVE got rid of a bit of algae and all the black streaks) OH just back from shopping so break for cuppa. But - what I did find was no circlip on the adjuster wheel side pad; took that one out to look at the surfaces. Both pads shiny and worn down to the surrounding metal level. The needle roller on the one I took out is OK; just that I think the whole unit needs a good going over. So pads ordered.
Ta everyone for all the input.
Pete
Petemate is offline Top  
Unread 21st August 2012   #10
mlkey
Veteran Camper

Does it look anything like this?

There are 2 indicators, both need to show green when hitched. There is one below the handle (currently red) which goes green when the hitch has engaged correctly. The anti snake pad wear indicator is the round red dot in the centre of the black area. This rises and will show green if your pads are ok.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120821_184854[1].jpg (98.7 KB, 13 views)
mlkey is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (21st August 2012)