Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Unread 26th February 2012   #21
Daggers Fan
Camping Master

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 14
My Mood
Breezy

Bluecathy1978

Really sorry to hear about your problem and hope it gets sorted out, agree with the advice provided by Rikijohn and ellieh12, particularly checking the van is not stolen as I spoke to a chap a few years ago who had bought a van on ebay and had nothing but problems with it, not that I am suggesting that in this case.

I'm sure all can be resolved.

Mike
Daggers Fan is offline Top  
Unread 26th February 2012   #22
CaravanMatt
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 246
So sorry to see the problems you are having, I would be quite frankly honest when leaving feedback so that someone else doesn't have the same problem when buying from him.

I also agree with the advice given by other people on here, take the time to make sure it is not stolen and then have a look at your options for fixing it.

I was actually watching that caravan on eBay myself.

I hope you get it sorted.

Matt.
Parents:
Ford Galaxy 2.2TDCi Titanium
Bailey Senator S4 Oklahoma
CaravanMatt is offline Top  
Unread 26th February 2012   #23
deli-beli
Master Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 92
My Mood
Happy

Hi bluecathy1978

Try not to be too dis-heartened.

Although it may be a stolen van - It most likely isn't. Most sellers on ebay ARE genuine and if the seller is asking for your feedback then he is probably genuine as well. If he knew the van was dodgy he would be doing everything he could to avoid any further contact with you.

As for the damp - it would only be suprising if there wasn't any in a van of this age

If the only signs of damp are under the front window, then after 20+ years, I would have to say that this is testimony to the good initial build quality of your van, and it was probably very well looked after for the first part of it's life.

Although the damp area may well look very unsightly just now, you will probably find that it can be repaired quite cheaply - all it takes is a bit of time and effort and suprisingly simple diy skills. You mention that you have a friend who has already repaired his own van - he would be a good starting point for you - and you WILL get plenty of advice and support from your new friends on this forum.

As Rikijohn said in his post - once comleted you may well end up with a great caravan to enjoy.

Cheers,

Kev

Mitsubishi Delica 2.8TD
Abbey Spectrum 520
deli-beli is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Daggers Fan (27th February 2012)
Unread 26th February 2012   #24
wombling2006
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 223
My Mood
Relaxed

just done a quick check on ebay....

You of course have to be honest with your feedback,but bear in mind that the damp was listed in the ebay details,on looking at the ad,it states a bit of damp but has been resealed so it doesn't leak.,....also that rest of the van is solid.....
if it is now dry (not leaking)and it's just a matter of replacing the wood...you could be up and running in next to no time....

you could still have a bargain on your hands....damp fixing isn't all doom and gloom,though alot of people panic initially and see it that way... caravans a few years old can succumb to it... so older ones do exceptionally well if they escape it completely....

keep us posted how things progress.....

trudi

Seen any good offers on your travels???? Tell the rest of c4u in the offers section!!!!!!!!

wombling2006 is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
CaravanMatt (26th February 2012)
Unread 26th February 2012   #25
bluecathy1978
Camping Master

Thanks (Total): 7
My Mood
Grumpy

Hi,

Just went down to the van this afternoon just to have a good look. I am not sure where the damp has got in or where he could have resealed it. I did however notice that when I took all the seating apart, on the floor, left hand side of the van there is a gap, about half a cm wide. Never owned a caravan before but I presume it shouldnt be like that!!

I have also found damp at the back on the left hand side and one of the seat cushions has been damp too. That was definately not listed. Do caravans need resealing periodically? I presume seals only last a few years and the need replacing? As I said, never owned a caravan before so havent really got a clue.

Also, how do I check if the caravan has been stolen? It is a 1989 model so it hasnt been Cris registered (I presume).

Many thanks for all your advice,

Cathy x
bluecathy1978 is offline Top  
Unread 26th February 2012   #26
ggmad
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 470
My Mood
Happy

Can you post us some photos of where the gap is? Doesn't sound right
Unread 26th February 2012   #27
bluecathy1978
Camping Master

My Mood
Grumpy

I didnt take any pictures but when I go back, probably on Tuesday, I will take my camera
Unread 26th February 2012   #28
Inner State
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 15
As others have said it would be unusual to find a van of this age without damp, I think you need to turn the tables to see what you have got for your money and possibly tart it up, use as is and after a season move on to something better if you like the caravan lifestyle. Not quite sure why it was made as a twin axle and so relatively short, what I will say about twin axle is that there are less dramas when a puncture occurs.

Good luck, enjoy it and don't be too hard on hubby.

J
Inner State is offline Top  
Unread 26th February 2012   #29
mlkey
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 186
I agree with Inner State, you could of paid more for a supposedly dry caravan. When we purchased ours, it also had damp. We knew it had damp, but not to the extent it turned out to be. We took our time to repair it, and now it is a lovely caravan with hopefully a good few years of life left.

Chin up, you will be on the road in no time.
mlkey is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
CaravanMatt (26th February 2012)
Unread 26th February 2012   #30
bluecathy1978
Camping Master

My Mood
Grumpy

Thanks guys x We are hoping to repair it and get a few years out of it. In the meantime we will try and save up money for a newer one but like you say, you can pay a few thousand and they can still be damp. I am sure we will learn a lot along the way. It doesnt help that we don't really have anywhere to work on it apart from where it is in storage and I presume that there wont be any power there. Neither of us have much in the way of DIY skills and with 4 kids it will be hard finding the time! It is for them that we are doing it though so I will make sure we do

We were planning on going away in it in march for a weekend. I have cleaned the area where the damp was as it looks like some dirty water had run down the wall. I am going to check in a week to see if it is still clean or not. The seller said he sealed where it was leaking so if he has fixed the leak then there shouldnt be any evidence and we can just replace the wet bits!

Why cant my life ever be easy?!!