Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Unread 19th February 2019   #1
Cunupy

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 0
Wet floor or rot

Hi guys,i just bought a caravan...is my first caravan and i didn t new to many things about them...i just found some wet or rot spot under the carpet(layer) and i don t know how to procede...i don t know it come from door to bathroom or from.bathroom to door,i clean a little with a cloth,there is a little soft where is black but not sponge feel...it can be fixed or is gone,i am worry to be honest
Is a Sprite Major 5 2008

Any advice is welcome and sorry for my bad english!

Thank you
https://imgur.com/a/qgHCpYh check this link for few photos please
Cunupy is offline Top  
Unread 4 Weeks Ago   #2
K9Brian
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 86
Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

Hi. It looks to me as if the door seal has been leaking and the water has run towards the bathroom and round towards the cooker. Remove all floor covering in the van to allow air to get to the wood. A dehumidifier will speed up the drying out process but not a lot of point until you stop /repair the leak. As the door is probably the problem, dry the seals and puff talcum powder or chalk round the seals. After rain examine to see where the chalk has run down. (This hopefully will indicate where the water is getting in. A couple of squares of kitchen roll on the floor up against the baton will also show where the water is pooling.) Adjustment of the door or new seals may be needed. Once you've solved the leak is the time to move on to any wood repairs. Looks to me like the baton below the door will be soft but get it all dried out first before deciding what needs doing. Lots of help available on repairs on the forum and I'm sure others will be along soon with suggestions.
Good luck
Brian
K9Brian is offline Top  
Unread 4 Weeks Ago   #3
carabiker
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 469
Hi
Brian has posted a good reply with which I agree

To add you try
Gummi Pflege rubber treatment from Mick Garages N I https://www.micksgarage.com/home

New seals from
Seals + Direct Ltd

Chech for wear on the door hinges and alinement

also may need to ajust the lach plate on the door frame

fiamma do a mini gutter to go over the door frame diverts the water from above door to the sides

I have used these on caravans and motorhomes from camperlands Northenden Manchester ( mail order )

Dave
Skype name ;-david.rose_m31
Adventure before dementia
carabiker is offline Top  
Unread 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,127
My Mood
Happy

Top advice above. I would add thou do take plenty of pics before and during the strip. Not only will these help us to guide you but also yourself when re assembling. Stay positive and don't hesitate to ask for help. Many of us have been there done that as they say. Always looks far worse than it actually is. Trust me.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Unread 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Cunupy

Thanks (Total): 0
Thank you lads for help,i will try to find how the water go inside first and after do something inside...unfortunatlt the caravan is little far from where i live and i can t go everyday there...i will go this week to see how it is now after i remove the "carpet layer"...maybe it will be little bit dry and start to check the door...i sas tought the water come from.the bathroom at the begin and slide to the door and stay there....probably when they had shower theyself.
I will let u know more once i go there.

Thank you all
Cunupy is offline Top