Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 1 Week Ago   #1
Petemate
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 61
Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

New Zealand

Terrible situation there. Rikijohn, Are you, Carole and friends/relations all OK?
Petemate is offline Top  
Unread 1 Week Ago   #2
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 1,127
My Mood
Happy

Hi Peter,
Yes my family all OK thanks. It is an unbelievable terrorist act so close to home yet unfortunately so common around the world. Death toll now 50 and still 6 in critical condition. 36 I think still in hospital.
Have watched a lot of special TV coverage Friday and yesterday and still tear up at the horrific accounts people had to endure.

We are 1 hour south and our MP was ordered to lock down his local office on Friday by police and the local Mosque also remains under armed guard. Apparently in a social media statement released prior to the shooting Ashburton was mentioned as a target.
That's way too close to home for us.

I feel gutted and just worry about our way of life going forward as NZ has changed yet again and not for the better.

Our police come under very serious acts which is getting worse by the day shootings assaults etc. Only two weeks ago all police CHCH and our area were ordered to fully arm themselves on duty. A gunman on the loose in CHCH who fired at police and was later arrested some 4 - 5 days after the event.

This morning I read on Facebook that gun shops are doing a rowing trade with people rushing to by more firearms and in particular semi automatic weapons. Our government has stated gun laws will be changed and have made it a priority. We like the rest of the world, walk among some very deranged people sadly.

Thanks for thinking of us Peter, from here we make adjustments and just hope that protects us with what we do, wherever we may travel.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (1 Week Ago)
Unread 1 Week Ago   #3
DaveA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (For This Post): 2
Thanks (Total): 169
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Good to hear that you are all ok, John. The world is in a situation that seems to be getting worse.
The UK must have the strictest gun laws in the world but they can still get them, if they can't they turn to using cars/vans, knives and every day products you can bye from a corner shop, to carry out what they have in thire twisted minds. Gaining intelligence on these people to help prevent things happening. the problem with that, in the UK, is that cuts to the police have taken thousands of them off the force.

All the best John and take care.
DaveA is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (6 Days Ago), Rikijohn (1 Week Ago)
Unread 1 Week Ago   #4
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (For This Post): 2
Thanks (Total): 449
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikijohn View Post
Hi Peter,
Yes my family all OK thanks. It is an unbelievable terrorist act so close to home yet unfortunately so common around the world. Death toll now 50 and still 6 in critical condition. 36 I think still in hospital.
Have watched a lot of special TV coverage Friday and yesterday and still tear up at the horrific accounts people had to endure.

We are 1 hour south and our MP was ordered to lock down his local office on Friday by police and the local Mosque also remains under armed guard. Apparently in a social media statement released prior to the shooting Ashburton was mentioned as a target.
That's way too close to home for us.

I feel gutted and just worry about our way of life going forward as NZ has changed yet again and not for the better.

Our police come under very serious acts which is getting worse by the day shootings assaults etc. Only two weeks ago all police CHCH and our area were ordered to fully arm themselves on duty. A gunman on the loose in CHCH who fired at police and was later arrested some 4 - 5 days after the event.

This morning I read on Facebook that gun shops are doing a rowing trade with people rushing to by more firearms and in particular semi automatic weapons. Our government has stated gun laws will be changed and have made it a priority. We like the rest of the world, walk among some very deranged people sadly.

Thanks for thinking of us Peter, from here we make adjustments and just hope that protects us with what we do, wherever we may travel.

The big issue here is that the stupid politicians in charge rush through legislation banning weapons for the good guys instead of giving the police more funds to do the job to prevent acts of violence from happening. However the bad guys still keep the weapons to use on the good guys who now cannot defend themselves as the government have taken away their arms!

This person was not even on the radar of any police force so how could this sort of thing have been prevented now or in the future?

The other issue is the press who have been highlighting Islam as being a bad religion in not so many words and mostly forgetting to mention it is members that are extremists misinterpreting the Quran that are committing terrible acts of violence against humanity in general. There are also Christian extremists around the world and I like to regard myself as a Christian.

In South Africa I had many Muslim friends and enjoyed their company as to me they were no different to Jews or people fo other religions.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto chased by a
Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Rikijohn (1 Week Ago), Petemate (1 Week Ago)
Unread 1 Week Ago   #5
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

My Mood
Happy

Thanks Dave and Surfer, Look I don't know where the hell this is going in NZ at present. People are becoming outraged and emotional to say the least. There is already a significant investigation underway, yet people are demanding answers now, which is not the right time. The person charged was not on any country watch list. Should he have been? Yes. but unless he did enough to get on that list then why would he be? A question that I expect will be answered in due course.

It appears that NZ is an easy place to buy various weapons albeit with a licence appropriate for the weapon being purchased. I believe our law needs to change and become harder if not illegal to own semi automatic type weapons that use large magazine capacity. However in all walks of life people demand their right to buy as they desire for whatever reason and so the gun lobby group is now screaming from the roof tops.

Our PM stepped up well in addressing the nation but further went on the state gun laws will now change. Well her party and others have for years tried to amend gun laws in NZ all without a great deal of success in my opinion. Surfer you are right Poly's don't often make the right decisions, or are over voted by others to water everything down or sometimes just write stupid inadequate laws.

Our P M will struggle to deliver in my opinion and she would have been better committing to a full review. She alone cannot change the law. So yesterday and again today we are advised that sales are at an all time high for a variety of weapons ahead of law changes. This really worries me, as NZ suffers now from weapons in the street and homes of people not fit to own such destructive items. Even last Friday police arrested 2 members of the public carrying weapons and believed not to be involved with the shooting. Why on earth is an 18 yr old up town with the damn firearm? Our own little country town on Saturday morning Police were called to a incident where a women was running on a CBD town street screaming with a shotgun in her hands.

I hate this violence and appreciate you folk have had to deal with much more in your own towns and country than us downunder. We manage to murder someone every week in NZ and sometimes everyday. None of that is right either and guns, knives and other weapons are used.

A tragedy of this degree is totally unacceptable anywhere in the world and downunder is no different.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (6 Days Ago)
Unread 1 Week Ago   #6
Surfer01
Camping God

Garage
What I cannot understand is that when Muslims murder 32 Christians it is not even a mention in the world press? When Muslims are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Christians this is not mentioned. See https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/cwn/201...-brutal-attack It is a very sad world that we live in where the press influence our day to day decisions!
Rikijohn didn't an NZ senator Fraser Anning make a statement to this effect after this shooting in NZ? IMHO no religious groups should be attacking another because of their different beliefs!

Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (6 Days Ago)
Unread 1 Week Ago   #7
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 0
My Mood
Happy

Hi surfer that senator is an Australian.expected now to voted out in next election I think in about a months time.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Unread 1 Week Ago   #8
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

My Mood
Happy

Ian we live a world where the history books are full of if rights and wrongs for which we can all hold our own opinion. Having said that the hatered inflicted on innocent people here in our country is so very wrong. For NZ our exposure to this violance is via TV and press. Not in our country our our town that we have lived in and frequently visit family there.
Over time and improved education one could only hope we get better not worse.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (6 Days Ago)
Unread 1 Week Ago   #9
Surfer01
Camping God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikijohn View Post
Hi surfer that senator is an Australian.expected now to voted out in next election I think in about a months time.

However he does have a valid point as per my previous post! I do not condone violence or acts of terrorism and my sympathies lie with all the victims of these acts.

If we look at history in many cases terrorists have subdued and cowered the population to such a degree that eventually they are the government and then are recognised by Western nations who want to appease them.

Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (6 Days Ago)