Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 3rd June 2015   #1
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 263
My Mood
Cheeky

A bit of nostalgia - I remember!

Some of your earliest memories that would have "younger" people laughing:-

I remember when all meals were eaten at a table as a family and as a child you had to ask permission to leave the table. If you did not want the food you sat there until you changed your mind.

Jim

The truth is out there!
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it.
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #2
magicgrotto

Thanks (Total): 0
Ye & 1d mix on your way to school !
Unread 3rd June 2015   #3
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 465
Garage
My fondest memories is having the fastest go cart on the block and racing downhill in it every afternoon. The other kids had ball bearing type wheels which were very noisy. Then Saturday mornings going to the cinema and swapping comics and watching the cowboy serial. Cinema was about 4p in the fifteies.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto chased by a
Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #4
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

The Flamin' Carpenters, Johnny Mathis; my mum used to listen to them constantly! Yuk!

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #5
Abbeyman
Camping God

Garage
My Mood
Fine

I liked go-carts; but soon lost interest when i had to keep taking it back up the hill; all that effort just to fly back down again in a minute!
Hide-outs, in the woods, we used to make these in the thickest trees, and never used boards as their silhouette can be seen, so we just made lattices of branches! We used to sit up there for ages, chucking acorns at folk below, who never suspected we were even there!
Bikes, we had a Raleigh RSW 14 and it was great to get out, away from home and enjoy a bit of freedom! We used to go a few miles on our bikes, we didn't worry about the weather, or the hills to be climbed, on the bike or on foot. Packed lunches. We went to places that took maybe an hour on our bikes; but i laugh now to think it only takes a few mins by car; and we thought we'd gone so far!

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #6
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 35
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_UK View Post
Some of your earliest memories that would have "younger" people laughing:-

I remember when all meals were eaten at a table as a family and as a child you had to ask permission to leave the table. If you did not want the food you sat there until you changed your mind.
Oh I well remember that. I was a finicky eater, still am - lots of things I will not eat. I was always in bother. We still always eat at the table, one of our house rules.

I wasn't much of a meat eater and the school dinner meat was often awful, they would make us sit for ages to clear the plates. Loved the school custard though, I would often go back for seconds and thirds, I would even volunteer to help the dinner ladies with the washing up, to get more custard At least until someone told me custard was made from crushed ants

I don't ever remember eating out, as a kid, apart from fish and chips out of the paper, but now we often eat out.

That was post war, but I wasn't sure whether it was due to the post war shortages, or general money shortages pre and post war.

Now we have food in abundance, we have so much we often end up chucking it away because it has gone off before it is even opened.

Toilet in many cases, down the street, bath hung on the wall. Newspaper or that hard toilet tissue (IZAL?) which made great tracing paper

No TV, just radio, but the cinemas were always packed. Saturday matinees for kids, where you came out pretending to be Roy Rogers, beating your own back side pretending you were on a horse

I never did get the hand of building go carts. I could never find a length of wood long enough to make the end to end chassis, so would have to join them in the middle with nails. as it broke in the middle I would just add more nails. My backside was raw due to catching on those nails. They eventually bought me a scooter with those big wheels and I covered miles on that. I never got the hang of two roller skates, so gave up and stuck to one at a time.

Kids played out in those days, parents were not so protective, nor so concerned so long as you were in by dark. A favourite pass time was comparing the size of the scabs on your knees and peeling the scabs off How come modern kids don't have scabby knees?

I always had spells in my backside, from sitting on the wooden floor at my first school, the floor was worn out and splintering and I could never sit still. All the kids seemed to be daubed with that blue painted on their skin - antiseptic, iodine?

Not much in the way of toys, there just wasn't the spare money around until things began to improve towards the end of the 1950's.

How did we survive?

harrym1byt is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #7
Jaydug
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 5
[QUOTE=Jim_UK;252854] as a child you had to ask permission to leave the table.

[/QUOTE}

Yes - That's as it ever was with my family. But only last Sunday I had my two girls and grandson here for dinner in the evening. I couldn't help but notice, when we'd finished that Sam - (14 years old) asked his Mum if he could leave the table. So habits die hard.

My blog: http://jondogoescaravanning.com/
Jaydug is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #8
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

My Mood
Cheeky

I remember how we always tried to get out of the cinema as soon as the feature had finished as in those days every performance was completed with a playing of the National anthem at which point you were expected to stand to attention. Others had the same idea and you got caught in a crush and sure enough the anthem started and you had to turn, face the screen and stand to attention.

Jim

The truth is out there!
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #9
Abbeyman
Camping God

Garage
My Mood
Fine

I remember the national anthem was played on the close of TV viewing, and when the telly was turned off, there was always that little white dot in the middle of the screen!
On Saturday mornings, while we waited for the BBC to start broadcasting the kids programmes, they always played old traditional marches, Scottish ones in Scotland! (naturally).

(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #10
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

My Mood
Cheeky

I remember when you had to pick up the phone and listen to see if there was anyone else on the line before you dialled the number you wanted. I doubt if party lines still exist anywhere now.

Jim

The truth is out there!
Jim_UK is offline Top