Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 3rd June 2015   #11
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 263
My Mood
Cheeky

Why when the conductor could see we were running to catch his bus would he wait until we were nearly there and then press the bell to signal the driver to pull off?

Why when we were kids did the bus driver only slow down at our stop and expect us to jump off when it was moving so he did not have to stop?
A school friend of mine did and jumped straight into a lamp post. The lamp post won that encounter.

Jim

The truth is out there!
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it.
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #12
Pitfour

Thanks (Total): 0
Good memories I remember life without TV, Washing Machines, telephones (landline), Fridge and car. My dad did have a motorbike to use to his work.

But everyone was in the same boat in the early 50's well they were where I lived.
So that was the norm.

My father was a radio technician working for the army as a civilian and he built a radio for the house out of parts stolen from work. It was not in a case and valve radios had some high voltages but even with young children in the house no one got electrocuted. I remember his friend built a TV in the same manner, first TV I ever saw.

No TV great play out of doors all the kids in the street involved, football games with very high scores, loved every minute of it.

Born 1950.
Unread 3rd June 2015   #13
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

My Mood
Cheeky

I remember the football, cricket and tennis in the street. We could go all day without seeing a single car. In fact I did not know anyone that owned a car other than a local policeman until I was in my mid teens. No one owned a telephone in the street right up until I was near 20 years old and there was only one TV in the street until I was about 13 years old (13 houses in street). All the kids in the street used to pile into that house on a Saturday afternoon to watch "Jungle Jim".
During the week TV did not start until 5pm and finished about 10-30pm and of course there was just a single channel. I even remember what was on at 5pm every day during the week. It was called "Foreign Legion".

We had little but nor did most but we were very happy kids. We made our own entertainment.

Jim

The truth is out there!
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #14
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 35
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_UK View Post
We had little but nor did most but we were very happy kids. We made our own entertainment.

Jim
Modern kids value nothing, they are so inundated - adults (us) are the same now to some extent, always chasing the latest toy.

There were around 50 houses in hour street. The first car in the street appeared around 1955, a Jag with those rear wheel cover panels. Soon after that, my father bought a motorbike and sidecar, probably the second vehicle in the street. He worked on the railway, so before that, we had only gone where the railway lines could take us. I remember the train rides, but none of the places the train took us. With the bike we went all over the place.

Staying on a welsh farm, me around 7 - with the bike parked outside on a slight hill leading down to a river, I was playing at riding the bike (as you do) and managed to knock it out of gear. Off it took with just me astride it, obviously not that fast, because it came to a stop as it hit the trees/bushes before the drop down into the river.

harrym1byt is offline Top  
Unread 3rd June 2015   #15
Pitfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym1byt View Post
Modern kids value nothing, they are so inundated - adults (us) are the same now to some extent, always chasing the latest toy.
Well I suppose I am guilty of that, no one had double glazing or central heating there used to some great patterns on the window in the cold mornings.
Now when the central heating broke down I found out how soft I have become.
Unread 4th June 2015   #16
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

My Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
my father bought a motorbike and sidecar,
The first motorised transport on the Road I lived on was a Motorbike and sidecar. The sidecar was one of those that looked like a small caravan. All the family went away on holiday in it and there was Mum, Dad and 5 kids! Dad driving, Mum on pillion all the kids and luggage inside the sidecar.
Please don't ask how they fit the kids and luggage in that sidecar as all I know is that they did.

Jim

The truth is out there!
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Unread 4th June 2015   #17
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 35
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitfour View Post
Well I suppose I am guilty of that, no one had double glazing or central heating there used to some great patterns on the window in the cold mornings.
Now when the central heating broke down I found out how soft I have become.
Not sure that fits into 'the latest toy'. A good, effective heating system is one of life's essentials now.

Before around 1980, we would have to huddle in one room in winter, around a gas fire. Draught from the windows, drafts from the doors and constant mold forming on cold surfaces. Since then, we gradually added DG new outside doors, cavity insulation, humidity controlled extract fans in the right places.

The wonderful thing was that it opened up the entire house to use and I fancy it costs much less now to heat the whole house, than it did with the gas fire running flat out before.

If the heatings fails, as it has done several times in the decades since then, the house can hold the heat for days. I try to keep a set of spares handy, to fix the most likely faults.

Rather than use a dryer, I set up a drying system in the utility. Several hanging lines, a fan and a dehumidifier. The oscillating fan blow air around the clothes, the dehumidifier then dries the moisture out of the air. Even the wettest, heaviest item is dry overnight with that system running and it costs much less than our condensing dryer to run.

For summer drying, I got fed up replacing the usual clothes lines. I rigged up a fancy counter weighted SS line system, suspended under the house eaves, 50 yards long between the eaves and a tall post at the far end of the back garden. It has to be winched down to load and unload it. High up in the air, in the breeze, clothes dry very quickly indeed.

harrym1byt is offline Top  
Unread 4th June 2015   #18
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

The latest toy in my day was a new action man, or new fast toy cars; liked toy tanks and army type vehicles; the other kids had new football strips, a new ball, etc.

Now its the latest game, the latest phone, tablet, laptop, games system; there were loads of kids out playing when i was ickle, not so many now; they're all indoors with the curtains shut, playing games that make Satan look like a social worker!

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 4th June 2015   #19
Pitfour

I remember Dinky toy's when I was at Primary school age.
Later I seemed to be into fishing and model airplanes.
Unread 4th June 2015   #20
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Airfix, military vehicles and aircraft. out on my bike. long walks.
Rides on bulldozers and other excavators; there was a heck of a lot of building happening then, just through the other side of the woods!

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top