Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 5th June 2015   #1
david128
Camping Addict

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 10
Talked into changing van

So - SWMBO has talked me into changing the van
Will be picking up a 1 year old Lunar Lexon 540 tomorrow (actually an Ultima, which is a dealer special, but effectively a Lexon with mot of the Clubman bits)

Was originally thinking of changing next year - but local dealer had a van just in that had been hardly used (grill never used) - so was talked into it

Was really wanting to change for one of the 'new technology' vans, like Swift SMART, but SWMBO pointed out the trail of complaints on various forums, and we've had no damp in the main body of our 2008 Lunar (only had a failure in the sealing of the insert on a locker door - very annoying but not disastrous)
The readings they took when inspecting it for trade in didn't go above 15%

It's 18inch longer than current van - so will be a bit of a tight fit next to the house

SWMBO weighed all the kit we took out the existing van - even though we had it re-plated to it's maximum, I'm sure we were over weight - there was stuff in their I'd forgotten we had!
20 years of vanning mean you do accumulate a lot of stuff

Will be getting new van replated, as we need a mover on it, so need to re-gain what we lose from having that fitted

I see that some vans have a really low user payload - I don't see how people avoid overloading vans like that

Ok - I guess I'm looking forward to it as well, but I have to fit a new security post in the drive tomorrow afternoon, as the new van will cover where the existing security post sits - and the level of 'tea leaving' in our area means it's an absolute 'must have'
Previous vans: Lunar Quasar EB 2008, Lunar Stellar 2004, ABI Ace Airstream 1996
david128 is offline Top  
Unread 6th June 2015   #2
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Lucky you! I'll bet you're every bit as excited about as the wife!!
My first caravan was 17ft long and quite light, max weight was 950 kg, and it was fine for me and the wife to manhandle into position; but when we bought the abbey, its longer. 6feet longer! We bought a jockey wheel type caravan mover for it which has been worth its weight in gold! The abbey being bigger, is heavier, and i got the chance of 13 sq metres of mono-blocking from a neighbour, and added to the driveway; which means that we dont end up on the grass in the drive; we cant manhandle it, the mover does it, but having that extra space is brilliant! I can turn the caravan a full 360 if i want (but not necc'), i turn it 180 with the mover; if the mover is about a foot away from the kerb, i know i can turn the caravan without it hitting the garage! Its straight back from there, and up a 2" rise on the low side, to level it.

We have nothing in the caravan but essentials, we dont carry loads of stuff. We too found a load of stuff we got with the first caravan, that we had never used, so out it came, it wouldnt have made much difference to the new caravan, but since it wasnt used, we took it out and put it in the garage.

What post do you have? mine is a Bulldog; the post is a hardened steel tube, with a socket in the ground, and has a tow ball on the top to hitch the caravan onto; the whole pole twists and lifts out of its socket.
I dug ours out when we bought the Abbey; being 6ft longer, it had to come well forward! I lifted the mono-blocks there, and managed to get the lump of concrete out enough to batter it with a large sledge hammer, the concrete eventually broke into a few large lumps and i managed to save the socket; dug another hole, and keeping the concrete in the hole, i used what i dug out of the new hole, to fill the other! Battered it down, topped it up and re-established the mono blocking where the pole used to be.
The socket is a good 18" to 2ft down, sitting in concrete and then surrounded by it and on top. The trick is to keep flying debris out of the hole; i have a cover for when the caravan is away; and while the pole is in, i have a plastic drain grate cut to go around the pole, this stops leaves and other trash getting in the hole and the socket.
The socket has a large groove in it, for a large £1 coin sized lug at the lower end of the pole, it locates in the groove and you turn the pole a 1/4 turn; once the caravan is hitched on and locked down, the pole cant even be turned. I fit an SAS (Safe And Secure products, Bristol) wheel clamp to one wheel, and i have a leg lock on one of the back steadies, as an extra deterrent!

All the best with the new caravan!

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 7th June 2015   #3
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,141
My Mood
Happy

All sounds good to me apart from having to obey. LOL
All the very best with the new van.
Cheers

2018 Fiat Ducato Dethleffs Trend T7057 Motorhome

Was a Swift Challenger 4432 caravan and Mazda CX5 Tow car.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Unread 7th June 2015   #4
david128
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeyman View Post
What post do you have? mine is a Bulldog; the post is a hardened steel tube, with a socket in the ground, and has a tow ball on the top to hitch the caravan onto; the whole pole twists and lifts out of its socket.
Hi Abbeyman

The post is a maypole 9731 - very basic, but does the job - piece of mind when thats in and locked

Well - we're now the proud owners of what seems like a great white whale on the driveway! - actually doesn't look too bad - I guess I'll get used to it!

New post is now in - only took two hours (it is my third one, so should be getting better at it I guess) - we too have monoblocks - hardest part is prising the first one out
Once I had 5 out, then digging a hole about a foot deep wasn't too big a deal, then place the ground socket in, 1/2 a bag of postcrete and then just
The post is just a bit smaller than 1/2 a monoblock - so just had to cut one in half, and then refit all the blocks

re-fitted the nemesis ultra wheel lock - but was surprised that the shorter of the two wheel bolts supplied didn't fit - too wide to go into the wheel nut hole in the alloy wheel
The other bolt is slightly narrower, so that fits, but it's longer as well - so sticks out quite a bit
There are packing washer/spaces in the kit to adjust the fit of the clamp onto the wheel bolt, but even with all the washers fitted, it doesn't fit as close as I would like
I'll try to contact the company to get their view, but I suspect this is as good as I'll get it
Previous vans: Lunar Quasar EB 2008, Lunar Stellar 2004, ABI Ace Airstream 1996
david128 is offline Top  
Unread 7th June 2015   #5
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Bet you're pleased with the new caravan!? glad you got the pole in; i found a 6" long metal offcut of 5" square post, and put that in the hole around the outside of the post socket, it looks very tidy, keeps the mono blocks in place and supports the sides of the hole!

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top