Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 12th June 2015   #1
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 263
My Mood
Cheeky

The highway to hell

The one I refer to is the M62 which seems to be plagued by shut downs. There have been 4 that I am aware of in the last month. I am not talking about 1/2 hour or anything like it but in some cases many hours, even as much as a half day.
I have had two experiences of 6.25 hours to travel the short distance from Wakefield to Manchester.
I believe one of the problems is a failure by the police to prioritise getting traffic moving.
It should be (in my opinion):-
1) Remove any casualties
2) Drag the debris off the road and open it (no reason why it should be more than 1/2 hour)

However their second priority is to investigate the reason and apportion blame for the accident, take photographs, measurements, digital scans etc etc

Ok I was just going home and to me it was just an inconvenience but I wonder how many hundreds over the last month have missed business appointments, missed holidays that they were badly in need of, missed hospital appointments etc etc

How do you feel about the way these shut downs are managed?

Jim

The truth is out there!
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it.
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Unread 12th June 2015   #2
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,305
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Its the same on the M6 round stoke area, I do feel the police tend to wander through the job that needs doing photos can be used but in some cases the carriageway needs repairs but other than that yes I do feel they close it far longer than is needed
Unread 12th June 2015   #3
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

All the main motorways were closed down today here, seemingly there was a tanker on fire. The M8, the M73, the M74, and the M80 were all tailed back a fair way! I've heard sirens all day; we live next to a main road and a busy one for emergency vehicles, the local fire engines, many many ambulances and paramedics.
What made it worse is that all roads coming from these motorways were congested due to many drivers thinking a like. There also reconstructing the A725 junction at the Raith Interchange with the M74, so traffic there is even worse. I'm glad i dont drive for a living now.

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 12th June 2015   #4
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 263
My Mood
Cheeky

I am so grateful that on those occasions that I was not towing the van. Traffic was diverted off the M62 and had to go bumper to bumper over the moors to Saddleworth. Just last week it took me 1.5 hours to travel 1/2 mile on the A57 only for the police to announce they were closing the road just as I got to the scene of the accident. They announced it was going to be closed for several hours and I had to do a U turn and go down the opposite carriageway and head to Warrington to pick up the M6 North to get home. Normal trip home from Barton (Manchester) is 45 minutes as it is just 20 miles but that night it was 3.25 hours.
I am seriously thinking about packing in driving in a few years - as the population continues to rocket there will be more and more traffic and the roads are not fit for purpose now.

Jim

The truth is out there!
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it.
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Unread 13th June 2015   #5
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 465
Garage
Why can't the police use drones to take photos as surely that will give them a better idea of what happened? After all they have to do a sketch of the accident with measurements anyway?

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto chased by a
Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Unread 13th June 2015   #6
Jaydug
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 5
Most forces have set up accident investigation departments so whenever there's an opportunity for them to flex their muscles, they're going to do it.....

My blog: http://jondogoescaravanning.com/
Jaydug is offline Top