Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 30th June 2019   #1
DaveA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 170
Garage
My Mood
Fine

HI Petemate Are you there.

You mentioned in a thread "Hardstanding" just over a year ago that you were thinking/tempted to purchase an Insignia when you Saab gave up the ghost, just been browsing. Did the temptation get the better of you or is the Saab still going strong.
DaveA is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (7th July 2019)
Unread 1st July 2019   #2
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,294
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

He still calls in so hopefully will pick this thread up
Who Said Thanks:
DaveA (2nd July 2019)
Unread 7th July 2019   #3
Petemate
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 65
Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
You mentioned in a thread "Hardstanding" just over a year ago that you were thinking/tempted to purchase an Insignia when you Saab gave up the ghost, just been browsing. Did the temptation get the better of you or is the Saab still going strong.

Hi Dave - sorry for not responding earlier. We are still with the Saab. Ironically, every time I think of/talk about/browse the ads for Insignias, the Saab starts to run really well and behave itself. Funny that. Currently, it is fast approaching 118k miles. Still pulls like a train so we will carry on with it for now. However, I still lust after the Insignias, especially the Elites with all the nice toys. 'Er indoors is hoping that the Saab will last us until we give up caravanning, then we can move to a small car. Considering our ages, this may be sooner than I think. But I am secretly hoping that the Saab will die soon. Decisions, decisions.
Petemate is offline Top  
Unread 7th July 2019   #4
KerryS
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 472
Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

Posted via Mobile Device
KerryS is offline Top  
Unread 7th July 2019   #5
KerryS
Hall Of Famer

Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

Completely OT but, out of interest, what would make you give up caravanning?
Posted via Mobile Device
KerryS is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (8th July 2019)
Unread 8th July 2019   #6
Petemate
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 2
Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
Completely OT but, out of interest, what would make you give up caravanning?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kerry - it may be an age-related thing. 83 in September, though right now, I personally have no issues other than it taking me a bit longer to do things, eg setting up etc., there will naturally come a time when I can't manage any more. The driving/towing aspect is not a problem (I enjoy the towing almost as much as the 'going away' lol). We have sold our awnings as that was deffo becoming a challenge, managing quite well with a sun canopy for when we want to sit outside but not get burnt. As there are only the two of us, we manage OK without an awning.

Regarding the car, we are between a rock and a hard place. If/when the Swedish Flyer goes pop, then we need to decide whether to stop the 'vanning and get a small replacement car. I would sooner carry on and obtain an Insignia but OH keeps counting the costs. I am confident that we could invest in a replacement tug and carry on. A few bunches of flowers and boxes of chocolates may do the persuading lololol.

Back to the matter of driving, I have no issues and in addition keep my reactions sharp with my motorcycling (4 years ago I returned to biking after a 23 year gap, prior to which I was despatching in and around London for a few years. It is costing a smigdeon more for insurance, possibly due to the age. I have tried Saga for the car but it came out more expensive than our present one, LV. The bike is not a problem as it is a classic Jap and I am on a fixed policy with no NCD but it is the same every year.

HTH!

Pete.

PS Due to various joint problems, from a mixture of old bike crashes and arthritis, I can no longer hold a big bike up. BUT - my little 250 is light, quick and destroys traffic queues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lower bars.jpg (120.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Petemate; 8th July 2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added pic
Petemate is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
KerryS (9th July 2019), DaveA (8th July 2019)
Unread 8th July 2019   #7
DaveA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 170
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Glad everything is fine with you and the Saab. Mines an Elite all the toys, not mastered them all yet. I couldn't turn the sat nav off, don't use it much, especially when towing, turns out all I needed to do was press a button and command it to stop, it did. Have a look at the link below, just to wet your appetite it's the face lift of the new Insignia sport. Way to pricey for me. Should think they may well be the last fossil fuelled Insignias. https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxha...potted-testing
DaveA is offline Top  
Unread 9th July 2019   #8
KerryS
Hall Of Famer

Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petemate View Post
Kerry - it may be an age-related thing. 83 in September, though right now, I personally have no issues other than it taking me a bit longer to do things, eg setting up etc., there will naturally come a time when I can't manage any more. The driving/towing aspect is not a problem (I enjoy the towing almost as much as the 'going away' lol). We have sold our awnings as that was deffo becoming a challenge, managing quite well with a sun canopy for when we want to sit outside but not get burnt. As there are only the two of us, we manage OK without an awning.

Regarding the car, we are between a rock and a hard place. If/when the Swedish Flyer goes pop, then we need to decide whether to stop the 'vanning and get a small replacement car. I would sooner carry on and obtain an Insignia but OH keeps counting the costs. I am confident that we could invest in a replacement tug and carry on. A few bunches of flowers and boxes of chocolates may do the persuading lololol.

Back to the matter of driving, I have no issues and in addition keep my reactions sharp with my motorcycling (4 years ago I returned to biking after a 23 year gap, prior to which I was despatching in and around London for a few years. It is costing a smigdeon more for insurance, possibly due to the age. I have tried Saga for the car but it came out more expensive than our present one, LV. The bike is not a problem as it is a classic Jap and I am on a fixed policy with no NCD but it is the same every year.

HTH!

Pete.

PS Due to various joint problems, from a mixture of old bike crashes and arthritis, I can no longer hold a big bike up. BUT - my little 250 is light, quick and destroys traffic queues.
Hi! Thanks for that. Weíre both 70 next year but we have generally good health - me after Prostate Cancer was treated - and I sometimes think 70 sounds old, but we donít feel old. I guess thereís often no planning to stop doing some activity, it just happens when for some reason youíre unable to do it. We still manage to cruise with our narrowboat which at times needs some heaving about and older folks than us still manage. With the caravan, we have a motor mover, the gas bottles are fixed re-fillable ones, like you, we donít bother with an awning, the Fiamma roll out thing is fine. So I think we have got it an easy outfit to manage. But itís a a heavy old lump and do wonder sometimes if a lighter one would make life any easier.
Bike looks nice by the way. I took to biking on a superscooter when commuting to work but sold it on retirement and have no thoughts of getting another. Iíve always liked the look of the Honda Deauville but my licence is for auto only. I built and ran a kitcar, an MX5 then an MGB but getting in/out was becoming a challenge to the knees!
Kerry

I used to have a Westfield I built, it went to Spain but its back in Blighty now!!

https://www.facebook.com/AidaNarrowboat
KerryS is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (9th July 2019)
Unread 9th July 2019   #9
Petemate
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 2
Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
Bike looks nice by the way. I took to biking on a superscooter when commuting to work but sold it on retirement and have no thoughts of getting another. Iíve always liked the look of the Honda Deauville but my licence is for auto only. I built and ran a kitcar, an MX5 then an MGB but getting in/out was becoming a challenge to the knees!
Kerry

Glad you got sorted with the prostate. Mine is (happily) only enlarged.
Small world regarding pursuits - I also built and ran a kit car, Robin hood, than later a kit replica Model A Roadster. Great fun. With regard to the Deauville, they appeal to me as I loved the riding position and reliability of the Revere but one would be too heavy for me now. MGB - one of my wife's faves, I also like the looks of them, but of course only the chrome bumper model.

Your Elite sounds nice, if we do go for an Insignia in the future it will have to be an Elite. I too like the new ones, one lives not too far from us and whenever we take the bus into Oxford I have to look at it while waiting.
Petemate is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
KerryS (9th July 2019), DaveA (9th July 2019)