Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Unread 14th November 2011   #1
Twins4Sonia
Elite Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 13
Garage
My Mood
Crappy

Is she road legal?

I should of posted this as we got in from our October half term break to be fair but I have been busy and ill!

A few months ago I posted about damp in our Abi Award Nightstar (front end) and things have taken a turn for worse.
My husband managed to stop the front window from leaking by cleaning the muck out from behind the seal, but it is still not 100% fixed but remains dry, at the moment.
The purple trim was coming away, same kind of thing, muck under it but pulling it away we noticed things were a little 'soft' and definitely damp (from the outside!).
Anyway, this trim he took off (don't ask me why!) anyway, that front handle I managed to pull off (I'm just a woman unaware of her strength...) or it is past damp and crumbling and where the trim was there is about half an inch where it looks like the front of the chassis has been 'pulled away' from the rest of the caravan, I can assure you a very worrying sight!

We pulled her to Cambridgeshire for the half term break and I only noticed this when we came back.

The caravan isn't sited on our drive but I will try to take a picture soon, I promise!
I know pictures are always more helpful than a heap of words on a message!

If at all possible we need to tow her from where she is sited in January (site fees up and not staying in a over grown field full of the dogs mess... it's pure sickening!)

Do you think she is safe to tow in this state or absolutely no way? She is a 1990 'van.
The milage she needs to do, is about 30 miles but this includes a few very steep hills!

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks again

Twins4Sonia is offline Top  
Unread 14th November 2011   #2
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 1,129
My Mood
Happy

Hard to comment without pics and an actual on site inspection but frankly of you are worried use a webbing strop from chassis over the roof to chassis. May look a bit silly but will hold the body from lifting if that is what you are concerned about?
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Twins4Sonia (14th November 2011)
Unread 14th November 2011   #3
Rovers
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 493
My Mood
Cheeky

IF the front is in danger of lifting or has lifted then it is not safe to tow on public roads and to make it safe for towing then what John has suggested must be done, Ratchet straps are the best for this purpose fitted one either side of the A-frame and attached to the chassis at the back with a rag under the ratchet mechanism to prevent any damage to the body work and tightened just enough to hold secure without digging into and distorting the panels and also not to cover any road lights or prevent their operation...
All of this needs to be done quickly and the caravan covered to prevent any more water ingress causing further damage, When all this is done and the caravan is back home we are here to help with the rebuild and would advise that it is done correctly and using the right sealants and materials for a lasting finish...

hope this helps

LESTER Have kia will travel
Rovers is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Twins4Sonia (14th November 2011)
Unread 14th November 2011   #4
Twins4Sonia
Elite Camper

Garage
My Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovers View Post
IF the front is in danger of lifting or has lifted then it is not safe to tow on public roads and to make it safe for towing then what John has suggested must be done, Ratchet straps are the best for this purpose fitted one either side of the A-frame and attached to the chassis at the back with a rag under the ratchet mechanism to prevent any damage to the body work and tightened just enough to hold secure without digging into and distorting the panels and also not to cover any road lights or prevent their operation...
All of this needs to be done quickly and the caravan covered to prevent any more water ingress causing further damage, When all this is done and the caravan is back home we are here to help with the rebuild and would advise that it is done correctly and using the right sealants and materials for a lasting finish...

hope this helps

Goodness me, she sounds in a dire condition then! When I saw it, I did say to my husband that's it - she's not road legal anymore!
I was planning to take it over to private land 30 miles away, but I think she has to come onto our drive.. it's narrow and turning her to get her on will be tricky (we live on a corner..!) I think she ideally needs to be on the drive for daily repairs and it's no good being 30 miles away when all this work is needed... blast!

Thanks for the advice, will try and get a picture asap.. with any luck it isn't as bad as what I made out wishful thinking I think!

Unread 19th November 2011   #5
Twins4Sonia
Elite Camper

Garage
My Mood
Crappy

Ok I have taken photos!
I'd love to know what you all think of it.
The distance she has to be towed is no more than 5 miles. No hills, pretty straight forward to be quite honest - but I'd love to know what you all think.

Thank you in advance - You are all brilliantly awesome

Missing handle

Inside the caravan but under the front ledge - you can clearly see this has been a problem for some while - although since my husband as 'glue gunned' and cleaned some much from behind the seal - TOUCH WOOD - it hasn't leaked since!

In tact side

You'll have to look quite hard at this picture - but near that silver hook thing there is a split

Please be honest - will she make it? Will I have to get the ropes out 'just to be safe'?
I am quite worried about it! All being well I am getting a cover and will bring her home in January / February time!

Thanks - Sorry if this is too many pictures

Unread 19th November 2011   #6
Rovers
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 493
My Mood
Cheeky

Looking at the pictures it's the off side that has come away on the front panel so will be rotten front frame and could be easier taking the front off and rebuilding the wood work before replacing and resealing and tell your hubby a glue gun will not work in resealing so use mastic and sikaflex where required and think it a good idea to do a reseal on the awning channels and rubbing strakes in fact a full reseal will pay you in the long run and save pounds in the end

Rovers is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Twins4Sonia (19th November 2011)
Unread 19th November 2011   #7
Twins4Sonia
Elite Camper

Garage
My Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovers View Post
Looking at the pictures it's the off side that has come away on the front panel so will be rotten front frame and could be easier taking the front off and rebuilding the wood work before replacing and resealing and tell your hubby a glue gun will not work in resealing so use mastic and sikaflex where required and think it a good idea to do a reseal on the awning channels and rubbing strakes in fact a full reseal will pay you in the long run and save pounds in the end

Thanks Lester - I did tell him a glue gun is pretty pointless, but I suppose it's all he had to hand and did the job as an emergency as we were away...
Do we think it's safe to tow Lester?
I've just bought the book you recommended too - Thank you very much!
How would one take a front end off?
Will that be in the book?
Cheers

Unread 19th November 2011   #8
AlanHardware
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 27
Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

Do a Google search for Wizards Caravan Repairs . Lot`s of information from lots of people with similar jobs to yours with pictures and materials . These pages will compliment your book . I have just rebuilt the entire front frame of mine and have to do the roof vents and rear window area this winter . Wizards pages were very informative and the cost is actually very low compared to buying a replacement `van that may have just as much hidden damp . Patience will be beneficial , do not rush it and all will be well .
Unread 19th November 2011   #9
Twins4Sonia
Elite Camper

Garage
My Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHardware View Post
Do a Google search for Wizards Caravan Repairs . Lot`s of information from lots of people with similar jobs to yours with pictures and materials . These pages will compliment your book . I have just rebuilt the entire front frame of mine and have to do the roof vents and rear window area this winter . Wizards pages were very informative and the cost is actually very low compared to buying a replacement `van that may have just as much hidden damp . Patience will be beneficial , do not rush it and all will be well .
Wow! Thanks for this!
Will I need it under cover?
Is it going to be safe to tow here in Feb? thanks again!

Unread 19th November 2011   #10
Roving Rangies
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 499
My Mood
Amused

I would say yes to both, but what do I know?? I am not an expert, but when you first said it had come away, I thought you meant at the floor level. Take it easy and it shoud make it OK. As for under cover, the best way is to get a caravan cover off the internet. I paid £65 for mine from a dealer on t'internet. Waterproof and breathable! Mine is like this one: http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/ac...fo_834121.html its now 7 years old and still going strong!