Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 29th November 2011   #1
oldtugger
Camping Addict
 
oldtugger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North West
Posts: 140
Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 7
Rep Power: 18
My Mood
Psychedelic

Cordless drill?

Can anyone reccomend a 18v cordless drill for winding the legs up/down on a caravan please, I have one but it's useless for the job needed.
Many thanks Wayne.
__________________
Before you criticise someone you should walk a mile in their shoes, when you criticise them, your a mile away & you have their shoes.

www.northernforties.org.uk
oldtugger is offline Top  
Reply With Quote
Unread 29th November 2011   #2
Roving Rangies
Camping God
 
Roving Rangies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wiltshire
Age: 64
Posts: 5,814
Images: 1
Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 499
Rep Power: 542
My Mood
Amused

You say useless, an electric drill should do the job fine! Is it that it doesn't seem gutsey enough?? only it could mean that the thread on the steadies need a thorough de-grease and clean with brake fluid and nice new grease being re-applied. That then should be able to make the legs go up and down with your fingertips, not alone a drill!
__________________
Go Green: Re-cycle toilet paper!!
I am a Carlight Caravan, Mercedes E Class and Freelander owner!
Roving Rangies is offline Top  
Reply With Quote
Unread 29th November 2011   #3
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer
 
Jim_UK's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Darwen - Lancs
Age: 73
Posts: 3,091
Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 263
Rep Power: 281
My Mood
Cheeky

My 18volt drill is also useless. One lot of winding up and then down on site and the battery is flat.
I said the drill is useless but should have said it is the batteries that come with the drill that are useless.
I can charge them fully and leave the drill for a week or so and they are nearly flat.
Drill was one from Aldi >> other tools I have bought from there have been great but not this drill. A quick look online tells you that you can't buy a decent battery for the price the whole drill was sold at. That should have warned me.

Jim
__________________
1996 Sterling Voyager 450EB - Vauxhall Astra Estate 1.7 TDI

The truth is out there!
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it.
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Reply With Quote
Unread 29th November 2011   #4
carabiker
C4U Super Mod
 
carabiker's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: South Manchester
Posts: 2,823
Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 472
Rep Power: 505
Hi
not there cheapest but excellent value are Ryobi
ie the models CHI 1442P or STP 1801 both with 2- 18 volt battery's and charger
both have a torque setting the the leg pressure equality ie no 15


the above have replaced other brands like maketa / elu that I have used professionally in the past

Dave
__________________
Disco TD5 towing
2012 Swift Balero630 pr motor home
Dyslexic key board dont blame me
Skype name ;-david.rose_m31
Adventure before dementia
carabiker is offline Top  
Reply With Quote
Who Said Thanks:
oldtugger (29th November 2011)
Unread 29th November 2011   #5
oldtugger
Camping Addict
 
oldtugger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North West
Posts: 140
Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 7
Rep Power: 18
My Mood
Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Rangies View Post
You say useless, an electric drill should do the job fine! Is it that it doesn't seem gutsey enough?? only it could mean that the thread on the steadies need a thorough de-grease and clean with brake fluid and nice new grease being re-applied. That then should be able to make the legs go up and down with your fingertips, not alone a drill!
the only problem i would have if the site dosn't have a hook up.
We attend many ww11 events throuout the year so i definitly need a good cordless one
__________________
Before you criticise someone you should walk a mile in their shoes, when you criticise them, your a mile away & you have their shoes.

www.northernforties.org.uk
oldtugger is offline Top  
Reply With Quote
Unread 29th November 2011   #6
oldtugger
Camping Addict
 
oldtugger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North West
Posts: 140
Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 7
Rep Power: 18
My Mood
Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_UK View Post
My 18volt drill is also useless. One lot of winding up and then down on site and the battery is flat.
I said the drill is useless but should have said it is the batteries that come with the drill that are useless.
I can charge them fully and leave the drill for a week or so and they are nearly flat.
Drill was one from Aldi >> other tools I have bought from there have been great but not this drill. A quick look online tells you that you can't buy a decent battery for the price the whole drill was sold at. That should have warned me.

Jim
Same problem i have but then i have the same drill as you & we was reccomended to get that one.
__________________
Before you criticise someone you should walk a mile in their shoes, when you criticise them, your a mile away & you have their shoes.

www.northernforties.org.uk
oldtugger is offline Top  
Reply With Quote
Unread 29th November 2011   #7
bigjimmy
Banned
 
bigjimmy's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: La Tournerie, close to Montignac, France.
Age: 72
Posts: 88
Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 10
Rep Power: 0
Garage
I have both a Ryobi professional as well as a very old Black&Decker both of which keep their charges for a very long time and both of which can be used over and over again.

May I suggest that you always use the drills on their slower speeds.

Also, and something that I do with all of our caravans in store here at La Tournerie, I have thoroughly cleaned the corner steady threads, dried them and then sprayed the entire shaft and bearing housings with a spray on off road motorcycle and bike chain oil/grease. This works a treat and as it also has anti-rust properties in it as well it is a win/win product to use.
bigjimmy is offline Top  
Reply With Quote
Unread 30th November 2011   #8
oldtugger
Camping Addict
 
oldtugger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North West
Posts: 140
Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 7
Rep Power: 18
My Mood
Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimmy View Post
I have both a Ryobi professional as well as a very old Black&Decker both of which keep their charges for a very long time and both of which can be used over and over again.

May I suggest that you always use the drills on their slower speeds.

Also, and something that I do with all of our caravans in store here at La Tournerie, I have thoroughly cleaned the corner steady threads, dried them and then sprayed the entire shaft and bearing housings with a spray on off road motorcycle and bike chain oil/grease. This works a treat and as it also has anti-rust properties in it as well it is a win/win product to use.
Threads are ok it is the battery that wont hold the charge hence looking to what other caravaner's use.
Wayne
__________________
Before you criticise someone you should walk a mile in their shoes, when you criticise them, your a mile away & you have their shoes.

www.northernforties.org.uk
oldtugger is offline Top  
Reply With Quote
Unread 30th November 2011   #9
allanp
Newbie
 
allanp's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lancashire UK
Posts: 5
Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 1
Rep Power: 0
Cordless Drill Batteries

If your drill has NiCd batteries they have a memory effect so that eventually they only charge to about 5% of their capacity. The solution is Lithium Ion batteries - you may find these for your existing drill but chances are that you will need a new charger as well so probably easier and cheaper to buy a new Drill with Lithium Ion batteries. They don't suffer the memory affect and don't discharge when not used for longish periods.
You can sometimes get good deals on the Ryobi Drill/Driver at B&Q and a further 10% off on wednesday day if you are over 60 or send your Dad.
__________________
Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 6 - Mazda CX7 (Petrol)
allanp is offline Top  
Reply With Quote
Unread 30th November 2011   #10
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer
 
Jim_UK's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Darwen - Lancs
Age: 73
Posts: 3,091
Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 263
Rep Power: 281
My Mood
Cheeky

The drills are quite good - it is the battery that is useless.
Looking on Ebay the battery looks very similar to the Dewalt one but that will obviously be a much superior battery.
Strikes me that drills are cheap and not much to chose between them but batteries are expensive and it is that which makes the cost difference. The Aldi drill is only 1/2 the capacity of the "better" quality drills.

Jim
__________________
1996 Sterling Voyager 450EB - Vauxhall Astra Estate 1.7 TDI

The truth is out there!
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it.
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cordless, drill

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cordless drill under £7 taboo10 The Plough 16 19th August 2009 09:14 PM
Drill for Legs The Plough 12 16th December 2008 11:14 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2005 - 2021, Caravanning4u.co.uk

DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.