Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 21st November 2011   #21
Petemate
Elite Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 69
Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

My 2 pennorth. We had a Pennine Pathfinder. At the time we bought it, I had a Rover 45 TDi. It towed well behind the Rover. Heavy little blighter though, max weight 1000kg. If we had have kept it, I would deffo have fitted a mover (we have the concreted-in post at the front of the house to lock to) as it was a b1tch to get up to the front of the house. Now while the Rover towed it OK, (max for the car) we got rid mainly due to having no facility to dry it out if returning with it having been folded away wet, as my lad needs to get his car out of the front garage at a moment's notice. While we liked the ease of erection (oo-er) (I could easily get it up and down by myself) we wanted to go back to a caravan as 'er indoors likes a shower. So we sold it for exactly what we paid, didn't lose a penny and bought an Elddis Whirlwind for the same money. Natch, once we traded the Rover in for the Saab and found that we could get a bigger 'van, we then got the Swift with a seperate shower to please the OH (the Elddis's shower was a bit cramped)
So I would thoroughly recommend a folding camper; a trailer tent, of course, is a bit different and quite roomy compared to a folder. Lack of shower apart, the Pennine, being the top of the range, had everything else, ie fridge, full cooker, awning etc. Brilliant unit. Excellent owners' forums for both the Pennines and the badge-engineered Conways.
Petemate is offline Top  
Unread 21st November 2011   #22
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Its been said before, that if the weather isnt great its not as warm as a caravan; the other point is that i never enjoyed puting the awning up in the rain; i do what i have to do, but if theres a break in the clouds later on, then i'll wait.
I dont think i'd be too emaoured puting a trailer tent in the rain either, add to that if youre in an area wots prone to strong winds, thats another concern! Theyre not for everyone, though they do look much nicer than the ones i used to see.
I like my caravans creature comforts, and the heat when its not so nice. I have to watch with my athsma if its too cold or damp it plays up.

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 21st November 2011   #23
wombling2006
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 223
My Mood
Relaxed

Really very very impressed with my camplet...up in a few mins..awning everything....just open and pull it out like a pram hood.....beds very comfy....and with isabella canvas I am amazed how warm it is inside....takes less time to sort than my caravan did..... With the draught skirts on it's fab! ... And if my idea of getting an all weather semi fitted cover for the roof of it happens..then certainly all year round camping..especially with electric hookup...... Majorly impressed no wonder they've been voted best camper lots of years on the run.....
Trudi

Seen any good offers on your travels???? Tell the rest of c4u in the offers section!!!!!!!!

wombling2006 is offline Top  
Unread 22nd November 2011   #24
sunshinetours
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 67
Garage
Trudi
The Camplets are great and very very lightweight. if we didn't need the space of a larger unit (plus toilet for kids) i am sure we would have gone for one of them aswell - you also won't lose much money on these as they hold value better than most TT's and FC's
Happy camping!

Unread 22nd November 2011   #25
wombling2006
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 1
My Mood
Relaxed

Thankyou Yes I can see how the lower models could be a bit tight for space with a bigger family.....mine is an apollo so the smallest model I think.....need to measure up as the front panel zips out so for longer stays with more people (about 6 of us) I will take a zip in adapted by myself section for extra space on longer camps....we have always had a seperate waterproof toilet/shower tent...can't wait to set my imagination and sewing machine free on it really

Trudi

Seen any good offers on your travels???? Tell the rest of c4u in the offers section!!!!!!!!

Who Said Thanks:
sunshinetours (22nd November 2011)
Unread 22nd November 2011   #26
ghostlyease
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 20
My Mood
Yeehaw

We had a Combi-Camp for 2 years, so easy to put up (as easy as an umbrella, although awning was slightly more problematic and time consuming!!!) and brilliant to tow and much of the time with a good duvet we seemed to sleep more comfortably than those in caravans, although we did purchase a double mattress for our trailer tent, the only pain to these is the set up time, cooker, kettle ect, reason we upgraded to a caravan.
ghostlyease is offline Top  
Unread 24th November 2011   #27
oldtugger
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 7
My Mood
Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
Many people have done this and then reverted back to a proper caravan. Be careful as I am sure you do not want to lose a lot of money if you decide to go back to a proper caravan.
I used to have the Dandy (you can store it even though wet) realy enjoyed it but IMOP you cannot beat a caravan & we would never go back to one

www.northernforties.org.uk
oldtugger is offline Top  
Unread 29th November 2011   #28
wombling2006
C4U Super Mod

My Mood
Relaxed

I had a look at quite a few freedom caravans and came close to buying one.....glad I didn't now really...even though we could have had one for the same price as the camplet.....
Another of the small lightweight vans I looked at were the silverline nova ones...but they do seem to suffer quite badly with lots of damp issues.....I'm certainly not afraid of work needing done dampwise...but looking at if we would have anything additional in a caravan,I had to conclude we wouldn't....the only slight downside would be the we canvas possibility,which if I recover with dandy type stuff,would rule that out.....
Each to their own..apart from swapping a sheet of aluminium for sheet of canvas/rubber..for us there isn't any differences much at all....

Unread 30th November 2011   #29
oldtugger
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 7
My Mood
Psychedelic

The main problem with trailer tents i found is you have to "dry" them off before you can put them away so i went for the Dandy range & they keep there price unlike a caravan.

www.northernforties.org.uk
oldtugger is offline Top  
Unread 30th November 2011   #30
Moonstone
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 27
My Mood
Happy

Our first trailer tent was a Camplet - we loved it. Up in minutes, big living space, comfy beds (off the floor), seating etc. We had a portable electricity supply as not fitted then, but it was great. Upgraded after a couple of years to a Penine Aztec folding camper which was equally as good, a bit more upmarket. Only changed to a caravan because we wanted to go all year round and canvas isn't the best for that.

Enjoy it - I'd certainly have another one

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Moonstone is offline Top