Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 16th June 2015   #11
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

The current and then new intended act also make it very clear that each person must look after themselves and fellow people around them.

That, i have always understood, you see a trip hazard; stop and sort it or report it and let other know about it. It takes no special effort or time, to lift anything that could be a hazard, even if its just a piece of plastic; slip on that and you could really get hurt! I know, I've done it; another driver laughed and said" yeah, it came off that pallet of flooring im delivering, it was in the way so i just pulled it off and flung it, didn't think anyone would have a problem with it"! I did, i had to be taken to the E R as my back was sore from the fall! I wasn't best pleased. I spoke to a manager about it and was told not to make a big thing of it! A pretty blasé attitude i thought. When i worked indoors, i would lift stuff as i went along, and put it in the bin; then no-one can get hurt by it. A hole in the floor covering, a slip hazard, i point it out. I noticed one day that when the forklift and order picker drivers took their vehicles off charge, they just unplugged and drove away! They did NOT switch off the charger first and the isolator; they just pulled the plug and let it drop, or hung it on the metal racking! Those chargers pack quite a punch; imagine there had been a flood and the water pooled there!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKK
When i spoke to a manager i was told that i should bring it up at the next meeting! Its they who take these communication meetings, i suggested that it would be better coming from a manager; but for the sake of H&S i WILL bring it up! Didn't make a blind bit of difference! I sincerely hope to God that no-one gets hurt with that, even though i dont work there any-more!! I brought up the situation with management, and was told not to make waves, i pursued it and when the MD came one day i took him aside in conversation and pointed it out, he was absolutely astounded!! I know he tore the managers off a strip or three about it; and no managers would talk to me for days after it. Childish in the extreme. Had they paid attention and done something, they would not have been accosted about it, it was their own stupidity that got them a brow bashing; I was sure to tell them that.

H&S has its place, but it depends on people in authority to act on what they're told of, to implement it, and many dont see it as their problem. In fact they did not get any training in driving the forklift OR the order pickers, but it didn't stop them jumping on them; i saw a few really close shaves there too! I'm glad i dont work there any-more! phew!

So, I for one say well done for taking him to task about the forklift incident; it could have been a disaster, people dont realise that they are driving a piece of machinery, no matter what size and weight, which in the wrong hands is actually a weapon! They chose the right man for this John!

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 19th June 2015   #12
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,141
My Mood
Happy

Yes Mark I have worked among managers with the same unacceptable attitude and they wonder why the rules get so tight.
I guess it would be great if we could swing these folk to a more positive and proactive approach but somehow I think I am dreaming.

2018 Fiat Ducato Dethleffs Trend T7057 Motorhome

Was a Swift Challenger 4432 caravan and Mazda CX5 Tow car.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Unread 20th June 2015   #13
DaveA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 185
Garage
My Mood
Fine

I found that as well as their attitude, both managers and employees, was their perception of a hazard and how high a risk was present. I was H/S manager for a joinery firm and we used circular saws of every description with the accompanying extraction. The extraction sounded noisy, a low pitched drone. but a noise assessment at the work station showed it was below the legal limit, but the saws themselves were way above, emitting an high pitched wine and not sounding as noisy as the extraction.
The trouble I had trying to convince both sides that the saws were the greater risk and we should order PPE to guard against the high frequency sound first, was almost impossible, a director had to get involved. Sound enclosures soon followed were they where practical.
Good luck with studies John
DaveA is offline Top  
Unread 21st June 2015   #14
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,141
My Mood
Happy

Many thanks Dave. Fully appreciate your story sadly all so familiar which is very wrong.

2018 Fiat Ducato Dethleffs Trend T7057 Motorhome

Was a Swift Challenger 4432 caravan and Mazda CX5 Tow car.
Rikijohn is offline Top