Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 6th March 2012   #1
jammy-D88
Camping Master

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 8
My Mood
Breezy

Using gripfill instead of sikaflex etc

Hi folks, 3 years ago when I first put 2 small solar panels in my van roof (2x 10w) I used gripfill as it's what I had in my shed, it's similar stuff to no more nails and can be got for around £2 per tube- much much cheaper than sikaflex.
Yesterday I came to fit my new 135w panel so I set about removing the 2 panels I fitted prevously- I knew that gripfill, no more nails etc isn't designed for caravans so I was expecting the stuff to be brittle weak and failing.
Well let me tell you, it's quite the opposite! That is good stuff! Even after 3 winters and being outside all of the time the gripfill was still brutally strong! First I used a Stanley to try to separate the panels by slicing the gripfill- this didn't really work- In the end I used a drywall saw and a hammer. I hit the drywall saw forcing it through the gripfill, it worked eventually, unfortunately I put a small hole in the roof
But hey it's a 21 year old van so one more (unseen) scar won't harm!! (yes I did fill the hole!)

So I will be fixing the new panel on with gripfill again- also I'll screw it down as the panel with it's air gap could act as a sail and tear the aluminium skin off the roof!
Just thought I would share this with you folks- if you want an impossibly strong durable flexible bond then this stuff will do the trick- ideal if you plan on never removing something ha ha!
The polysuphide sealant I bought to fix the panel on with will be used for some other purpose!!

Vectra C 1.8vvt SRI
jammy-D88 is offline Top  
Unread 6th March 2012   #2
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,303
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

I was expecting you to say you got the sledge out but good recommendation for it must be good stuff this gripwell
Unread 7th March 2012   #3
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,141
My Mood
Happy

A good post and there are many very good products on the market that all can provide a perfect result albeit subject to preparation. Cleaning and Priming the surface is vital and frankly often never done as many just squirt the product out of the tube and stick . So when failure occurs people never state they did not prep the surface correct to specifications.

2018 Fiat Ducato Dethleffs Trend T7057 Motorhome

Was a Swift Challenger 4432 caravan and Mazda CX5 Tow car.
Rikijohn is offline Top