Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Unread 29th April 2018   #1
BigBear
Amateur

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 2
Skoda Kodiaq

Hello
I wonder if anybody can advise me?

I have a Skoda Kodiaq 190 SEL 4x4 7 seater and a Bailey Pegasus 524 2011. When I bought the outfit I checked the legalities for towing and everything is OK, not happy with the 80KG noseweight-how do people manage this?

My main question is:
Bailey (for a fee of £60) will re-classify the van and let you carry more KG in payload. If I did this would I still be legal with my car and how much in KGs will I be gaining.
When I eventually sell the caravan will the increase in payload put some people off buying the van?
Your thoughts?
Thanks
BB
BigBear is offline Top  
Unread 30th April 2018   #2
KerryS
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 465
Garage
My Mood
Cheerful

Nice car, the Kodiaq!

From my investigations, and I find car makers websites difficult to get vehicle weights, not only the Skoda one, the kerb mass is between 1753 and 1902kg. I assume this is to allow for option variations. Taking the middle of this range would suggest kerb mass of around 1825kg.

Using the 80% of kerb mass as a guide to the caravan mass, this would say caravan should be no more than 1460kg.

I have found figures a 2010 Bailey Pegasus 524 where MIRO is 1246 kg and MTPLM is 1480kg.

So all this suggests good matching to me.

Now if Bailey re-plate to a higher MTPLM, and for £60 they are doing nothing physically to the running gear, you would potentially be able to load to a higher MTPLM. You don’t say what this would be.

The 80% “rule” is not a rule but a guideline. I tow at around 90% quite OK both stability and braking-wise. The guidance is that if you are an experienced caravanner that the 80% “rule” can be exceeeded.

My previous tow car had trouble with stability with a similar around 90% match but the current car is fine. The point here is that all the guidance and rules in the world don’t matter a jot if the match is dynamically flawed.

One thing in the Skoda website is that the maximum gross vehicle weight is 2510kg, that’s kerb mass plus occupants and luggage, but it does not state the maximum allowable towed mass and this MUST not be exceeded. This is the legal requirement.

Also, I assume you have the necessary driving licence validity to use your outfit. I am sure you do as you’d need it for the outfit as it is, but I would be remiss if I didn’t query this as others than yourself may read this.

HTH
1972 MGB GT in Teal Blue

I used to have a Westfield I built, it went to Spain but its back in Blighty now!!

https://www.facebook.com/AidaNarrowboat
KerryS is offline Top  
Unread 30th April 2018   #3
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 444
Garage
Can we assume you have a B+E driving licence because with a B licence the maximum MTPLM of any caravan you can tow is 990kg.
The Kodiaq is capable to towing up to 2000kg although its kerbweight is only 1720kg. How much is the current MTPLM and by how much more can you increase it? Current Baileys can only be increased by 15kg so hardly worth lashing out £60. Have you thought of using a roof box?

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto chased by a
Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is online now Top  
Unread 30th April 2018   #4
BigBear
Amateur

Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately/fortunately I am old enough to have the old licence so can tow etc. The maximum I can tow with Kodiaq is 200kg.
Part of my main question was is it worth it? What would I gain? If it is15kg then definitely not.
My main worry being that I like to carry cooking equipment et al and do not want to be overweight. Without going to a weighbridge is there another way of checking weight? I also try and put a lot of stuff in the car to reduce weight.
The Kodiaq is very good at towing and with the DSG very easy.
Thanks
BB
BigBear is offline Top  
Unread 30th April 2018   #5
Surfer01
Camping God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately/fortunately I am old enough to have the old licence so can tow etc. The maximum I can tow with Kodiaq is 200kg.
Part of my main question was is it worth it? What would I gain? If it is15kg then definitely not.
My main worry being that I like to carry cooking equipment et al and do not want to be overweight. Without going to a weighbridge is there another way of checking weight? I also try and put a lot of stuff in the car to reduce weight.
Thanks
BB
I think you meant 2000kg and not 200kg. In order to keep within our MTPLM we load awning etc into the roof box.

Buccaneer Cruiser.
Unread 30th April 2018   #6
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 34
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
Without going to a weighbridge is there another way of checking weight? I also try and put a lot of stuff in the car to reduce weight.
Thanks
BB
You could begin with the manufacturers unladen weight of your van and find out what exactly that includes. Then weigh on some bathroom scales, the individual items you intend taking along.

Many things like a mover and gas + gas bottles, will have a weight specified already, so no need to weigh them. A while ago I came across a spreadsheet, which made guesses for usual weights of items, where you just marked it to include the items or if included how many of the items. You could fine tune it and the actual weights if necessary.

So far as the replating the MTLP goes.. The chassis manufacturer set a maximum that the chassis is designed to carry. The caravan manufacturer builds on the chassis and gives it a lower MTLP, than the chassis supplier - The reason being that if it were rated at the chassis makers MTLP, it might put off potential buyers due to the potential extra weight. The van manufacturer only quotes a rough number anyway, caravan's will always vary from the figure quoted as they go out of the factory door.

Legally, I very much doubt if the average traffic PC would care, or understand the differences anyway, providing it is not obviously overloaded. In 50 years of caravanning and towing, I have only been stopped once and that because the over run brake linkage had become detached in the middle of the night and was dragging and sparking on the road.

harrym1byt is offline Top  
Unread 30th April 2018   #7
BigBear
Amateur

Thanks again for the replies. Yes I did mean 2000kg. I will research the roof box suggestion.

I am going to look at the noseweight (only 80kg) and will try the individual weighing of items, once weighed and entered onto a spreadsheet you would not have to do it again.
Thanks again
BB
BigBear is offline Top  
Unread 1st May 2018   #8
Surfer01
Camping God

Garage
What is the maximum nose weight that you can have with the Kodiaq as it is always best to go for maximum? Generally the nose weight of the caravan should be about 7% of the MTPLM so a caravan weighing 1450kg should have a nose weight of about 100kg. You cannot exceed the 100kg as that is the maximum noseweight of the ALKO hitch. We have a milenco calibrated nose weight guage. Once you get it to the correct nose weight on future trips make sure that everything is loaded the same way.

Buccaneer Cruiser.
Unread 4th May 2018   #9
BigBear
Amateur

On the 7 seater Kodiaq the noseweight is only 80kg. I will do as you suggest, I usually do a little map of van which tells me where things are.
Thanks
BB
BigBear is offline Top  
Unread 4th May 2018   #10
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 34
My Mood
Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer01 View Post
What is the maximum nose weight that you can have with the Kodiaq as it is always best to go for maximum? Generally the nose weight of the caravan should be about 7% of the MTPLM so a caravan weighing 1450kg should have a nose weight of about 100kg. You cannot exceed the 100kg as that is the maximum noseweight of the ALKO hitch. We have a milenco calibrated nose weight guage. Once you get it to the correct nose weight on future trips make sure that everything is loaded the same way.
I have a noseweight gauge, it is not very accurate. The best way really is a set of known to be accurate bathroom scales, with a length of wood between hitch and scales. The wood needs to be just the right length to match the height the hitch would be when hitched up to the tug and on level ground. Having the hitch at the correct height when measuring noseweight, is important. I ended up with the noseweight gauge, sat on my known accurate bathroom scales, then calibrating it with a mark from the scales.

Likewise, I use the 'get it right once and remember where to store things' method to attain the correct weight. Where my load might vary, like food, I store that close to the axle where it will make little difference to the noseweight.

I tend towards a lighter than ideal noseweight. My car's maximum is 150Kg, the caravan's 100Kg. I set it to 75/80Kg and I find that perfect for me, for my FWD.

harrym1byt is offline Top