Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A
Register Garage Gallery FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Old 10th October 2011   #1
Spice
Amateur

Chats: 0
Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 0
Parking my caravan on the road outside my house, been reported! Help please

Hello

We live in a cul d sac, and when we use our caravan about 2 x a month we park our caravan outside our house to load up, charge up etc, we normally leave it there for a day, and then when we return another day to un-load etc.

Some nice person (who is a total pain up the whole road) has reported us to the council and we have had a visit from a snotty official, you cannot park on the road etc etc etc.

Sometimes when not in use we leave the van on a cul d sac parking area at the top of the road, again he said this is not allowed.

We are not causing any obstruction, its not parked on a coner, not blocking anyone in etc.

Anyone have any clues on our rights?

Surly you must be allowed to park, un-load etc a caravan?

Thanks lots

Marcus
Spice is offline Top  
Old 10th October 2011   #2
DH
Master Camper

Chats: 2
Thanks (Total): 27
My Mood
Fine

www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q629.htm?letter=P

Possibly, from a police point of view, as long as it does not cause an obstruction. When parking your caravan try and park it as considerately as possible for other residents in the street.
The caravan MUST be lit at night if it is parked on a road and comply with the other normal parking rules (the nearside must face the pavement so the rear lights are at the rear for approaching traffic).
Some Local Councils also take a strong line on the nuisance value of the caravans and do, in some cases, take legal action. It is also worth checking with them before parking in the road.
See the website in related information to find your local authority.
There are sites where you can park caravans off the road, if you cannot park it on your premises.
These rules also apply to any similar trailer parked on a road.

Sterling Europa 550

SSangyong Rexton W EX Auto
DH is offline Top  
Old 10th October 2011   #3
Abbeyman
Camping God

Chats: 347
Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Dont you have a drive in the cul-de-sac? if you have, you could put it in the drive while loading etc; its fine in the drive because its not council property.
Unfortunately theres alway on P.I.T.A. in every street! I had one at my last place, said i was parking it there all the time; and i was only doing the same as you, only allot less than you do; i convinced the council that it lives on a storage yard, and even gave them the address of the yard. Case closed.

If you're not allowed to load/unload in the street then how do people move in/out? What about shopping days? the list can go on.
Some of the other guys/galls will be able to give you some good tips later on.

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Old 10th October 2011   #4
beejay
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice View Post
Hello

We live in a cul d sac, and when we use our caravan about 2 x a month we park our caravan outside our house to load up, charge up etc, we normally leave it there for a day, and then when we return another day to un-load etc.
Sometimes when not in use we leave the van on a cul d sac parking area at the top of the road, again he said this is not allowed.
Some nice person (who is a total pain up the whole road) has reported us to the council and we have had a visit from a snotty official, you cannot park on the road etc etc etc.

We are not causing any obstruction, its not parked on a coner, not blocking anyone in etc.
Anyone have any clues on our rights?
Surly you must be allowed to park, un-load etc a caravan?
Marcus
Technically, if the cul-de-sac is a public highway there is no right to park only the right to "pass and re-pass" as the law states. Loading/unloading is permitted but usually requires the presence of people actually doing such work.
Practically and sensibly, parking is tolerated on most highways that do not have any parking restrictions designated by Traffic Regulation orders but the offence of obstruction is always a possibility and is difficult to dispute as the presence of the caravan causes an obstruction.
A trailer is not a motor vehicle and, if left on the highway unattached to a vehicle, could be classified as an obstruction particularly when you say ".....when not in use we leave the van on a cul de sac parking area...." which, presumably, is not outside your house.

Once someone has reported your caravan as causing an obstruction the council has a duty to follow up the complaint and the officer (or snotty official) is doing what he is paid to do. His advice may ensure that you do not receive a PCN for obstruction in future.
beejay is offline Top  
Old 10th October 2011   #5
laneside
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 21
My Mood
Happy

Tell em to concentrate on the likes of Dale Farm and leave you alone

Just push em as far as you dare as long as its not a police matter you will find they rarely have any teeth
laneside is offline Top  
Old 10th October 2011   #6
Chris
Veteran Camper

Chats: 3
Thanks (Total): 173
Garage
My Mood
Happy

I thought I read somewhere that you are allowed 3 hours to load and unload outside your house.
We have one of those neighbours too
You could also check your councils website for details.

Chris is offline Top  
Old 10th October 2011   #7
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

Chats: 2
Thanks (Total): 257
My Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
we normally leave it there for a day, and then when we return another day to un-load etc.
That of course is the problem - is it left overnight?

Can you not just bring it to your house, load up and then leave. Likewise coming home can you not just unload and then take it to wherever you store it.
Mine is in storage and I go up the day before and load it up, all bar any food that I take to the van the morning we set off. When we return the van goes straight to storage and I unload the gear into the car to take it home, leaving anything non perishable to the day after.
I have a drive but parking is such on the Avenue that I could not even get a caravan to my drive or get it off.

Does your caravan effectively turn the road into single lane or is it still wide enough for two vehicles to pass with your van there?

Jim
Old 10th October 2011   #8
Spice
Amateur

Thanks (Total): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_UK View Post
That of course is the problem - is it left overnight?

Can you not just bring it to your house, load up and then leave. Likewise coming home can you not just unload and then take it to wherever you store it.
Mine is in storage and I go up the day before and load it up, all bar any food that I take to the van the morning we set off. When we return the van goes straight to storage and I unload the gear into the car to take it home, leaving anything non perishable to the day after.
I have a drive but parking is such on the Avenue that I could not even get a caravan to my drive or get it off.

Does your caravan effectively turn the road into single lane or is it still wide enough for two vehicles to pass with your van there?

Jim

Thanks all for the comments.

Yes the caravan does make the road a single width road, but ALL the cars and campervans park on that side of the road, so with ours there it is no different.

The person who has reported us parks his car opposite on the pavment that does make it tricky to get past, so I guess I can report him when he does that next.

He has now bought a real big van and parks it outside peoples house that is really upsetting people up and down the road, they have started leaving there cars on the road so he does not park there,

But we have still been reported and the wheels put in motion etc

I spoke to the police this morning and they say there is no law from there side etc, but the council may have different rules, guess I need to wait for the letter and go from there

We can park it on the drive but then the tow hitch slightly pokes out into the pavment, so its better for walkers if its on the road.

Thanks lots

Marcus
Spice is offline Top  
Old 10th October 2011   #9
Chris
Veteran Camper

Chats: 3
Thanks (Total): 173
Garage
My Mood
Happy

Quote:
He has now bought a real big van and parks it outside peoples house that is really upsetting people up and down the road, they have started leaving there cars on the road so he does not park there,
We have a neighbour opposite who does that. Parks outside everyone elses house, except his own. He even has his own driveway and space outside his own house.
As we live on a slight bend it makes it difficult for us to see what is coming around the corner if he is parked outside ours. He doesn't seem to car whose house he parks outside.
Quote:
We can park it on the drive but then the tow hitch slightly pokes out into the pavment, so its better for walkers if its on the road.
Depending on how far the hitch sticks out, I would be inclined to park on my own drive and put cones up so pedestrians are warned of the obstruction.

Chris is offline Top  
Old 10th October 2011   #10
fishman
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 177
Leave your vehicle hooked to it, Nothing they can do then! It becomes a legaly taxed tested Etc vehicle, He IS parking illegally with his wheels on pavement, As long as you are not blocking emergency vehicles you should be fine.
fishman is offline Top