Caravanning 4U

Caravanning 4U (http://www.caravanning4u.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Plough (http://www.caravanning4u.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Drills and steadies (http://www.caravanning4u.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12952)

Road Runner 21st January 2010 01:12 PM

Drills and steadies

OK I have gone through a few cheapy drill now as need them fully charged to lower steadies so batteries always die within a short time.

Do you use a drill and if so what do you do with regard to charging and saving the battery?

Oldsalt 21st January 2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road Runner (Post 96926)
Do you use a drill and if so what do you do with regard to charging and saving the battery?

I use my Olive! :killer I save the batteries for other things and she is the one that charges me!:sofa:

Geo 21st January 2010 02:43 PM

I use a Bosch psr18 and always make sure the battery is fully charged before I leave on a trip. It has a battery power level indicator on it. The fully charged battery will usually last about two or three trips lowering / raising the steady's and other odd jobs. Had it now over 2 years and it has never let me down. I think it is false economy to buy cheapy ones. They will often let you down and cause a lot of frustration.

carabiker 21st January 2010 03:53 PM

Hi John

I use a Ryobi 18 volt drill and 2 battery's has a torque setting I use the setting at 15
This means that all the van legs are at the same pressure
Payed about 60 from All tooled up .com

I picked up the same drill just over 12 months a go at B&Q for 45 including a full accessory kit
Bopght one for the lad as Xmas present and a spare for myself

Try searching for Ryobi STP 1801 Cordless impact /drill driver /hammer action

Battery do hold the charge for long periods
To me ,good as Bosch and Elu etc at less than 1/2 the price

Dave

phill 21st January 2010 05:05 PM

we have just bought a Bosch with two batteries but i always do the first/last turn by hand so the drill is not under full load and the battery does about 4 up/downs enough for a trip without charging

KerryS 21st January 2010 05:11 PM

I bought a Torx one from Homebase that lasted years both for household use, building the Westfield and leg winding. Then one battery failed and a whole new drill plus two batteries was marginally more than a new battery so I got another.

On my recommendation my daughter got same one to use for her 'van and batteries are useless so I have been lucky.

puerto 21st January 2010 06:04 PM

i have had a couple of 18v bosch drills for several years now. one hammer and one basic
for driving screws etc but all the batteries are the same so i simply pack the basic drill and keep a spare battery charged up in the box, the good news is i have never had to change batteries up or down but better safe than sorry.

being in the building trade, i agree with geo that cheap tools of any kind are false economy.
my advice would be if you can afford it, buy a good quality drill of 18v or above. bosch, makita etc etc. they are expensive, but if you only use it for diy and lowering the legs, providing you look after it, it will last years!

Abbeyman 21st January 2010 09:42 PM

I use my 18V rechargable drill, and take one battery if i'm only planning on lifting and lowering the steadies once! If i feel its likely that i'll need to lower and raise them a bit more then i take the two batteries and the charger.

Be carefull using a drill to wind the steadies; set the torque so that the drill stops just as the legs reach the ground and start to take weight; if you go too hard at this you risk breaking your caravan floor!:confused:
I wind mine down until they are just about to take the weight of the caravan and then the drill stops; i then have my wife following with the hand winder and i set them with that!

Craig Melvin 21st January 2010 09:56 PM

When I used to have to do it. I reverted back to a normal winder!

it doesnt do you any harm!

Craig

CaravanMatt 21st January 2010 10:00 PM

We have an Einhell with two batteries... one charged batteries will but all of the legs up and down at least four times on one charge... usually more :) I also always do the first turn but hand when putting them down; or the last turn when putting them up. We have had it a few years now! Use it for DIY too and the two batteries are still brilliant! A very good buy for around 35-40 on special when we bought it.

Matthew.