Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 5th March 2010   #1
Surfer01
Camping God

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 466
Garage
Price of fuel rocketing

I was under the impression that the price of a barrel of crude had dropped but not according to the lastest prices around us. Overnight the price of diesel shot up by 3p from £1.14 to £1.17!

Never figured out why this is probably the only country in the world that sells fuel in a fraction, i.e. £1.139 so when you buy 5 litres of fuel it should be £5.695 but they charge you £5.70 1/2p more.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0l auto chased by a
Buccaneer Cruiser.
Surfer01 is offline Top  
Unread 5th March 2010   #2
ecclestrooper

Thanks (Total): 0
isn't fuel paid for in dollars? and if so that could be the explanation. The pound has collapsed this week and some say could fall to $1.20 to the £ by summer which could be quite a blow.
Unread 5th March 2010   #3
raccoon
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 47
My Mood
Cheerful

It was £1.09 at the weekend at Asda up here. I went over yesterday to fill up and it had gone up to £1.11. Its about time people woke up and smelt the coffee.
THE GOVERNMENT IS RIPPING US OFF AGAIN
Why do the English just sit back and moan. We should do something. I have talked about this time and time again with freinds. All you get is "what can WE do". One thing is to boycott certain petrol stations that use the oil prices as an excuse to lift the price of fuel. Then complain with a strong letter to your local MP about the treatment of the voters and cast dought on their ability to do the job. Thats a start. I have done it and although the MP replies with a letter of sympathy they get the message.
Dont forget they stole from us also.
raccoon is offline Top  
Unread 5th March 2010   #4
Geoff I
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 628
Garage
Yep thanks to our Bankers of whom are paid staggering wages have put the whole money market into a massive drop again by predicting there is going to be a hung parliment in the summer, well they are fine people with there predictions they help this country out no ends, because they cannot have a bonus they want to stick it up the poor people, hence the rise in fuel costs.
Unread 5th March 2010   #5
Geoff I
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 628
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
It was £1.09 at the weekend at Asda up here. I went over yesterday to fill up and it had gone up to £1.11. Its about time people woke up and smelt the coffee.
THE GOVERNMENT IS RIPPING US OFF AGAIN
Why do the English just sit back and moan. We should do something. I have talked about this time and time again with freinds. All you get is "what can WE do". One thing is to boycott certain petrol stations that use the oil prices as an excuse to lift the price of fuel. Then complain with a strong letter to your local MP about the treatment of the voters and cast dought on their ability to do the job. Thats a start. I have done it and although the MP replies with a letter of sympathy they get the message.
Dont forget they stole from us also.
Its not the Goverment its the Bankers this time.
Unread 5th March 2010   #6
dave c
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 23
My Mood
Cheerful

fuel demo's planed last year were ignored by the bublic us truckers know its a problem fuel goes up the haulage company passes it on to the retailer retailer passes it on .
dave c is offline Top  
Unread 5th March 2010   #7
fishman
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 177
Seem to remember a thing called Pipeline set up for all sorts of good ideas, Re fuel prices, Turned out to be another con! But had a lot of backing before people found out, Agree with above, haulage industry have done there best but NO public support, The public dont seem to realise that most things in UK rely on HGVs, So fuel prices knock on to everything, We really are a totaly apathetic nation,
fishman is offline Top  
Unread 5th March 2010   #8
expat1
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 704
I have a family to support and do so by working hard, which means I HAVE to drive all over the country. I do try to keep costs down by using filling stations with lower pump prices but at the end of the day I still have to fill up. I can't afford not to as I WOULD (not could) lose my job. So NO NOT APATHY but simply necessity. Not everyone that is on the road in anything other than an HGV is a daytripper or out shopping.

We are not stupid and we do realise that most things rely on HGV's but if joe public didn't fill up their car and drive into town to buy things then there would not be the need for the HGV's to transport the goods. If people like me didn't keep the factories running (not just here but all over the world) then there would be no goods for the HGV's to transport. It is a symbiotic relationship but one that ALL sides seem to believe they are the major player in we all rely on each other.

Fuel prices have been the source of heated debate on here before and I'm sure they will again but can we please try to avoid blaming other fuel users for being part of a viscious circle that is in effect a captive market over which theyultimately have no control.

OK I'll go back into hiding again

John

Previous rig :-
2008 Mondeo 2.0 tdci 1993 Elddis Typhoon GT

New rig :-
2011 Volvo V70 D3 (163) 1993 Elddis Typhoon GT

D:\My Data\My Pictures\Fuji\New Folder\Volvo Banner_2.jpg

Are you looking at changing your towcar? Then why not check out the Vehicle Kerbweight Section

"Will someone else's life be brighter tomorrow because of what you have done today?"
expat1 is offline Top  
Unread 5th March 2010   #9
Paulw
C4U Admin

Thanks (Total): 729
My Mood
Amazed

what on earth is up with you lot, you have no patriotism. If they do not put up the fuel how can they give the politicians a pay rise. You all ought to be ashamed of yourselves for even questioning the price of fuel. tut tut tut

Free Caravan/Car Stickers

Caravanning4u Shop

My Photo's

Twitter C4U

<---!!! Onwards & Upwards !!!--->
Paulw is offline Top  
Unread 5th March 2010   #10
Landy
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 130
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Can I blame some of the retailers? Our local Tesco store are running a promotion were by if you spend over £50.00 on your shopping you get a voucher for 5p of each litre of fuel purchased, good idea except the pump price for diesel jumped from 113.9pence to 116.9pence per litre which makes the offer a bit of con especially as a nearby independant forecourt was able to price their diesel pump price at 111.9pence
Landy is offline Top