Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 21st January 2010   #11
ggmad
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 470
My Mood
Happy

Whoops!!!!!! You've just reminded me I have one in the caravan - haven't used it for just over a year, bet the battery is wrecked That's off my Black and Decker Quad set.

I also had two others in there somewhere, probably in the front locker and used to alternate these so I always had one charged up ready to use. When it ran flat I'd use the other and stick the dud one on charge as soon as I got home. Whoops. Looks like 3 wrecked batteries

Must make note for tomorrow - John said dig out me drills and charge to see if they work, and USE THEM if they do
Unread 21st January 2010   #12
MAJORBOB
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 124
Garage
My Mood
Breezy

Question

Anybody use screw in awning pegs? - what drill is effective please, bought a cheapie from B&Q hardly does the legs!
MAJORBOB is offline Top  
Unread 21st January 2010   #13
JaG
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 64
Garage
My Mood
Breezy

I bought a 24v 2 speed drill from Aldi about a year ago. Very strong and battery lasts well too. I set it on Torque 12 of 15 and it is perfect - just sets the pads down plus a bit more. I could take the charger with us but as we only put the legs down and back up again we don't bother.

2013 Vauxhall Antara SE Nav 2.2TDi 184bhp
tugging 2011 Adria Adora 612DP
JaG is offline Top  
Unread 21st January 2010   #14
Fordy Bob
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 15
See that handle thing that you get FREE with the caravan,that's me.
Unread 21st January 2010   #15
Rovers
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 493
My Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy Bob View Post
See that handle thing that you get FREE with the caravan,that's me.

I like your stile bob

I use a 18v drill to wind the legs and am in the market for a set of rock pegs for the new awning so will need the drill for that job too...

LESTER Have drill will travel
Rovers is offline Top  
Unread 22nd January 2010   #16
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

My drill is a B&Q Performance plus 18v, and has not let me down yet!

As for rock pegs, i just use the rockpeg driver to batter them in! I good 2lb mallet called timmy! and i have a 12" long narrow chisel for when i hit solid rock, i batter that in first and then when its broken throo i slide the rock peg down the side of the chisel and bang it in the same split in the rock, and pull the chisel out! (or you'll lose the hole!)

I also have a good claw hammer for yanking them out again!

Have timmy mallet; will travel!

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 22nd January 2010   #17
Benzowner
Elite Camper

Thanks (Total): 41
My Mood
Amazed

The problem with battery anything if it is not used the battery dies. We use battery drills and drivers in work all the time and the batteries last years, the same drill at home and I am lucky of the battery lasts a couple of years. Problem is the battery packs cost more than a replacement drill.

The other thing that I find funny and I am not sure which is correct, can you over do steadies? I can see the reason for, but on the same note if I have the steadies down and walk to the rear of my van then surely the increased weight would also damage the floor where the steadies are. In my van, the double bed is across the back of the van so at night two people in bed must put some additional weight on the steadies.
Benzowner is offline Top  
Unread 22nd January 2010   #18
Abbeyman
Camping God

Garage
My Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzowner View Post
The problem with battery anything if it is not used the battery dies. We use battery drills and drivers in work all the time and the batteries last years, the same drill at home and I am lucky of the battery lasts a couple of years. Problem is the battery packs cost more than a replacement drill.

The other thing that I find funny and I am not sure which is correct, can you over do steadies? I can see the reason for, but on the same note if I have the steadies down and walk to the rear of my van then surely the increased weight would also damage the floor where the steadies are. In my van, the double bed is across the back of the van so at night two people in bed must put some additional weight on the steadies.
Yes you can overdo the steadies; they will break the caravan floor underneath; I have seen older chassis for caravans and the corner steady mountings were part of the chassis, and even these day if you have two rear steadies that run straight, then the chances are tat they may be chassis mounted, but its always better to check first. This doesnt always happen now, and especially in the case of the front steadies, they have one part of the mount on the chassis and the other end is bolted through the caravan floor. Thats the reason that the floor could be damaged if they are wound too much or are taking way too much load.

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 22nd January 2010   #19
Benzowner
Elite Camper

Thanks (Total): 41
My Mood
Amazed

Abbeyman, I can see your side and to most part agree, but when you are on site with the steadies down if you walk to the rear of the van you are exerting downward pressure on the same steadies as if you over tightened them. Surely it would only cause damage if the floor is dodgy anyway. I have thought about this for a number of years, and with the advent of the fixed beds, usually at the rear of the van, wondered what force the steadies were now taking, and if they have been redesigned in some way to spread the load farther.
Benzowner is offline Top  
Unread 22nd January 2010   #20
Abbeyman
Camping God

Garage
My Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzowner View Post
Abbeyman, I can see your side and to most part agree, but when you are on site with the steadies down if you walk to the rear of the van you are exerting downward pressure on the same steadies as if you over tightened them. Surely it would only cause damage if the floor is dodgy anyway. I have thought about this for a number of years, and with the advent of the fixed beds, usually at the rear of the van, wondered what force the steadies were now taking, and if they have been redesigned in some way to spread the load farther.
The thing with the steadies is that they are there as "steadies, all the do is stop the caravan tipping for and aft, or from side to side, and to keep the caravan sitting level on site. If they are over loaded to begin with, they will break the caravan floor. I believe they have some sort of vague load rating, but its only in supporting the caravan. The rest of the weight on them will be negligible, as the caravan is supported and prevented from moving.
When all four steadies are down and supporting the caravan, plus the weight still on the wheels, the weight is shared, and as you state if all weight is at the rear of the caravan then the TWO steadies there will share the weight, along with the wheels!
Thats why the caravan floor has to be solid. When the steady is wound down, the force needed not only pushes down as the winding screw lowers the leg, but when the foot meets the ground, then the force can be diverted upwards too, the force has to go somewhere and the floor being wood, or board is the weakest part of the chain (the whole steady assembly is metal). Thats why they are there only as steadies!

I hope this answers your questions a little better!

(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top