Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 22nd January 2010   #21
Benzowner
Elite Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 41
My Mood
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeyman View Post
The thing with the steadies is that they are there as "steadies, all the do is stop the caravan tipping for and aft, or from side to side, and to keep the caravan sitting level on site. If they are over loaded to begin with, they will break the caravan floor. I believe they have some sort of vague load rating, but its only in supporting the caravan. The rest of the weight on them will be negligible, as the caravan is supported and prevented from moving.
When all four steadies are down and supporting the caravan, plus the weight still on the wheels, the weight is shared, and as you state if all weight is at the rear of the caravan then the TWO steadies there will share the weight, along with the wheels!
Thats why the caravan floor has to be solid. When the steady is wound down, the force needed not only pushes down as the winding screw lowers the leg, but when the foot meets the ground, then the force can be diverted upwards too, the force has to go somewhere and the floor being wood, or board is the weakest part of the chain (the whole steady assembly is metal). Thats why they are there only as steadies!

I hope this answers your questions a little better!
As they say, and I hate this expression, I can see where you are coming from, but, if the steadies were not down and two people got in the van a stood at the back of the van, it would tip, I know cause I have done it oops. So with many fixed bed at the rear, there must now be much more downward loading on the steady. My Bailey Vendee has a double bed across the back of the van, and interestingly the later models put the fixed bed at the front. Now, it makes me wonder whether Bailey realised or had problems with rear corner steadies and that was why they moved the bed to the front with the support of the Jockey wheel in addition to the steadies.
Benzowner is offline Top  
Unread 22nd January 2010   #22
Cruzer
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 11
My Mood
Tired

I thought I read on a forum somewhere (and I beleive it came from a manufacturor) that the steadies are rated at approx 500kg. So they are intended to "steady" the van, not lift it up, but are more than capable of taking the weight of a family sitting in the rear dinette at the same time.

Before anyone shoots me, I agree they should never be used to do more than steady the van, never to take its weight. But I have on numerous occassions seen the van wheels off the ground on site and the full weight on the steadies. Remind me never to buy a van from those people.

Now, where's my tin hat?

Growing old is unavoidable,
Growing up is optional
Cruzer is offline Top  
Unread 22nd January 2010   #23
Meister
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 53
My Mood
Devilish

We use a cheap cordless which is only used for winding the steadies. As the charger is so small we take it away with us and put it on charge overnight before we pack up to come home.
Never let us down in almost 3 years.

Steve

Meister is offline Top  
Unread 23rd January 2010   #24
Robin
Camping Addict

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 10
I use a bosch and use it also for the screw pegs. Just need a different adaptor thing. Brilliant!
Who Said Thanks:
MAJORBOB (23rd January 2010)
Unread 23rd January 2010   #25
MAJORBOB
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 124
Garage
My Mood
Breezy

Exclamation

Thanks Robin at last someone who uses screw pegs & drill & doesn't rely on brute force.

Perhaps in my original question i should have explained i am no longer able to use brute force thro' my disabling Rheumatoid arthritis. Rather than give up i have looked at options to make it easier to extend my caravanning lifestyle. To this end we have fitted a caravan mover which will enable the van to be manouvered wihout putting my back out. The remaining problem to overcome was pegging out our full awning ( i can just about manage the small porch awning) , the screw pegs seemed the ideal solution but an effective drill was needed, my cheap B&Q didn't measure up to the job barely adequate for the steady legs.
Hopefully Robin can share the required specification for a drill to handle the screw pegs as well as the steadies.
MAJORBOB is offline Top  
Unread 23rd January 2010   #26
ellieh12
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 957
Garage
My Mood
Angelic

Hi Rob

We have a Performance Power 14.4v hammer drill/screwdriver with variable torque. Came with 2 batteries and charger. Cost around £30-£35 last year. Not had a problem putting in the screw in pegs. Occassionally needed a couple bangs with a hammer to get the odd one going. But seems to do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
ellieh12 is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
MAJORBOB (23rd January 2010)
Unread 23rd January 2010   #27
Abbeyman
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 500
Garage
My Mood
Fine

Thanks Robin at last someone who uses screw pegs & drill & doesn't rely on brute force.

OI! i'm not a brute! But i do use his force!

Abbeyman; have force, will travel!

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.”
(quote by Stephen Fry).
Abbeyman is offline Top  
Unread 23rd January 2010   #28
mixerman
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 107
My Mood
Happy

I use a bog standard 12v. Charge it at home and it lasts for 4 days down to the Med. lifting steadies up in the morning and down at night. If we need a bit of extra force Brenda does it!
mixerman is offline Top  
Unread 30th January 2010   #29
Robin
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 10
Hi sorry I havent been on here for a few days. The drill is at the caravan in storage. I will pop there over the weekend and get info on it. (need to bring it home to make sure its charged anyway). I too due to ill health need all the help I can get and certainly hammering in loads of pegs would be too much.I know its just a mid range bosch not a top of the range one.
Unread 30th January 2010   #30
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,311
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

We always use Screwpegs especially on grass and the bosch drill has enough power to screw them in and out and the steadies as well without a recharge every trip