Go Back   Caravanning 4U > Information & New Members Area > Travel News For Campers and Caravanners

Notices

Travel News For Campers and Caravanners The latest travel news from around the UK.

Unread 20th June 2011   #31
fishman
Veteran Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 177
My points may not be put over that well! But it is that people should be told EXACTLY what the problem is as soon as humanly possible, Far too many dont have the nerve to turn round and say its because you are a Gypsy! And because they have no backbone many other respectable campers are lied to and lead round in circles, Honesty is all that is needed. The fire risk Etc is long overplayed and law states enough distance between outfits it shouldnt matter, Unless of course greed demands more units on site, But whatever the excuse there is a correct way to uphold it,
fishman is offline Top  
Unread 20th June 2011   #32
Craig Melvin
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 8
Craig Melvin is offline Top  
Unread 21st June 2011   #33
Roving Rangies
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 499
My Mood
Amused

The site I have just got home from has rules and regulations and they also ask what caravan you have and to be honest, as Lester will tell you, its a very nice site! They don't encourage children, as they in the past, have experienced BAD problems. (They are a 5 star site with 5 star awarded Loo's!) www.porlockcaravanpark.co.uk
I have stayed at sites where its basically an open door situation, if you have a caravan of any description you can go in through the gates. We did not stay long as some caravanners were new age hippies or gypsy's. Yes! I did leave after only one night and YES it was because I did not trust them as far as I could throw them! I know its each to their own, but their life styles did not meet my standards of how I live.

If the site is privately owned, then the owners should be able to control who enters etc!
Unread 21st June 2011   #34
Jim_UK
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 263
My Mood
Cheeky

Quote:
The fire risk Etc is long overplayed and law states enough distance between outfits it shouldnt matter
But of course it will matter because if the awning is on the "wrong" side then it removes a great deal of the distance between the units.
It is just a shame that the doors are on the opposite side to UK build ones.
Do Hobby and other European built vans not have an option to have the door on the same side as UK built ones? They are losing potential sales if the answer is NO.
Likewise UK manufacturers should consider opposite side layouts to reap the benefit of sales to the rest of Europe.

Jim

The truth is out there!
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it.
Jim_UK is offline Top  
Unread 21st June 2011   #35
fishman
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 177
Surely it is the distance between units, The van and awning are the same size however parked, after having a Hobby for a long time the door is perfect, On a British van people mostly sit bending their neck/backs to cope with the slope over the lounge seats, And the nice upright rear wall where most of the time is spent laying flat in bed is wasted, I prefer my lounge at the rear of the van its certainly more practical. With loads of headroom, The slope of the front is immaterial when laid in bed, I certainly wouldnt have a door on the (correct??) side again
fishman is offline Top  
Unread 21st June 2011   #36
Cupra
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 95
My Mood
Buzzed

when we were at kingsbury we had Bob and kim next to us, they had a hobby and we had a fleetwood awnings on opposite sides cars next to each other that was good in my eyes. if a site can be picky and choose what vans they have they deserve to lose customers
Cupra is offline Top  
Unread 13th September 2011   #37
tomlightley

Thanks (Total): 0
My Mood
Cheerful

Exclamation

We had same problem when we tried to book Flamingo land North Yorkshire but were also told they would not except any German caravans ie wilk, Tabbard, Hobby, Their loss
tomlightley is offline Top  
Unread 14th September 2011   #38
Twins4Sonia
Elite Camper

Thanks (Total): 13
Garage
My Mood
Crappy

Excuse me if I speak out of turn here, who are they to discriminate us? Those who have "commercial" vehicles, older caravans and caravans made in Germany?
We all drive vehicles that are made over seas, perhaps some of us even left hand drives, why should hobby owners be turned away for having a slightly wider 'van and a door on the wrong side? We don't stop every left hand drive car and say? "sorry you can't drive that in here"
I have a very large family, 5 young kids, 2 dogs and we drive a transit minibus because
1) family cars this big are ££££
2) it best suits us

I do phone and tell sites we have a small minibus and have never come
Across a site that's refused to take us, come on, we discriminate against many things, money, age, ***, colour and now, thanks to some people with what they call power we are discriminating in the caravanning world, my goodness what IS this world coming to!!!!!

Twins4Sonia is offline Top  
Unread 14th September 2011   #39
Vanessa5076
Camping Master

Thanks (Total): 2
It is disgusting. We tow with a brand new commercial vehicle as it is the only one we have. We make a point of telling sites what we are towing with as there have been a few that have refused to let us on.

However, these sites are few and far between and so far have always found somewhere else that would take us.
Vanessa5076 is offline Top  
Unread 23rd September 2011   #40
TDCi Ross
Camping Addict

Thanks (Total): 5
My Mood
Tired

http://www.caravanning4u.co.uk/forum...ad.php?t=23443

posted in Yorkshire review section.