Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Unread 5th July 2011   #1
Rosbif29
Master Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 19
Garage
My Mood
Happy

Filling the on board water tank

Stupid question but the new Hobby caravan that im getting saturday has an onboard water tank..................but how do i fill it as I havent got a 40 litre watering can and dont fancy doing 25 trips to the tap on site. LOL

Im thinking that their is a hose pipe in mind but not too sure.

Thanks

Volvo XC60 AWD 2011 followed closely by a 2012 Sterling 564 Eccels Sport
Rosbif29 is offline Top  
Unread 5th July 2011   #2
newly retired
Elite Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 23
My Mood
Happy

rosbif29 I have a 2005 Hobby 540wlu with the onboard tank, I used to fill it with a sterile watering can but got fed up. using a hose will only work if you are on a fully serviced pitch otherwise your hose will have to stretch from the tap to your filler cap.
during one of the services I had a small two pin electric point fitted just above the filler point and a whale pump with a filler tube and a suction tube fitted I put the suction tube into the water hog and plug the pump into the socket this fills the onboard tank. The wiring for the pump is behind and at the side of the onboard tank between the side of the side and the tank, if you are good with electrics you might be able to fit it yourself otherwise do yo know anyone good with caravan services and repairs, you could also ask the dealer if he is willing to fit one for free of charge, he can only say no.

Hope this helps you any further info required do not hesitate to drop me a line.

Phil....................
newly retired is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Rosbif29 (6th July 2011)
Unread 5th July 2011   #3
Rikijohn
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,142
My Mood
Happy

Hi the most important advice I recommend is do not use the garden hose that has been left in the sun. Why it is full of dried and flaky algae etc from the UV and all you do is flush that directly into the tank. which will be a nightmare to remove if ever.

How to fill. Buy a roll flat hose that is used only for this use and roll away after use so sun cannot fowl it etc. You can buy a hose designed to prevent algae build up etc and that could be worth looking at. Other option is a dedicated plastic water container ie 20 ltr etc Yes a few trips but you know the tank will never be contaminated.

2018 Fiat Ducato Dethleffs Trend T7057 Motorhome

Was a Swift Challenger 4432 caravan and Mazda CX5 Tow car.
Rikijohn is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Rosbif29 (6th July 2011)
Unread 5th July 2011   #4
Rovers
Camping God

Thanks (Total): 493
My Mood
Cheeky

The hosepipe is one way of doing it but i have seen Phill (newly retired) use his system of filling and thought it the best way of doing it because if the water point is across the site then the hose will not reach...
Why not use both systems as the hosepipe will be quicker when available and Phill's system can be used when it's too far away for the hose
Both the above are by far better than the watering can option..

hope this helps

LESTER Have kia will travel
Rovers is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Rosbif29 (6th July 2011)
Unread 5th July 2011   #5
Craig Melvin
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 8
when we had a hobby, we used to fill it up before we left home. so tow with it full. other than that you will need an aqua roll when on site to collect and fill it up

Craig
Craig Melvin is offline Top  
Unread 6th July 2011   #6
Rosbif29
Master Camper

Thanks (Total): 19
Garage
My Mood
Happy

Thanks guys

I was not very keen on filling ti up before going as was worried about water sloshing about and breaking the mounting lugs etc.

Ill havea look at doing the filler system.

Volvo XC60 AWD 2011 followed closely by a 2012 Sterling 564 Eccels Sport
Rosbif29 is offline Top  
Unread 6th July 2011   #7
beejay
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbif29 View Post
Thanks guys

I was not very keen on filling ti up before going as was worried about water sloshing about and breaking the mounting lugs etc.

Ill havea look at doing the filler system.
Regularly travel with water in the tank of my Hobby. The MIRO includes a full water tank!
However you carry it you have to get the amount of water you use to the caravan. A watering can is the easiest. There is no point (imo) in having an inboard tank and supplying it with an external container which also has to be filled.

Or better still, fit what the Germans call a "city wasser" inlet.
Fit a float valve in the side of the water tank (a Torbeck type is better than the long arm with ball type).
Connect it to a flexible hose which in turn connects to a short length of 15 mm copper pipe which passes through the floor close to the side of the caravan. On the outside, under the floor, fit a snap on hose connection.
The tank can then be filled with a hose from the tap beside the pitch as found on many French sites.
Total cost less than ***8364;25.

Are you sure you wouldn't like me to come over and help you with these projects?

Edit: If the float valve fails the tank will vent any excess water through the internal overflow pipe. If you didn't know about this unscrews to drain the tank and isn't (wasn't) mentioned in the handbook
beejay is offline Top  
Who Said Thanks:
Rosbif29 (6th July 2011)