Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 14th May 2021   #1
Petemate
Elite Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 69
Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

Still alive

After our last trip, to Norden Farm in Sept 2019, we have not been anywhere. The caravan has stood idle but today I gave it a wash. My goodness, my poor joints are aching now.

During that last trip, I had been noticing that I was getting a bit out of breath, mostly climbing our stairs. But at the end of that trip I noticed that even getting down to wind on the mover and wind up the legs, I was getting put of breath. So I put up with it right through Xmas and all last year then a few months ago I decided enough was enough and a trip to the doc. Two ECGs and an echocardiogram later I was diagnosed with a weak heart muscle and I have been on several different tablets, graduating to higher doses. So far so good, but I am having to live with the fact that there is no real cure, eg stents etc. It is merely a weak heart which while no op seems likely/possible, at least it can be controlled with meds. Knocked me sideways peeps I can tell you, but always someone worse off and I'm still active. It's just affected a bit of my self esteem/worth but today I felt a lot more positive.

Today's caravan clean was the best test of how it's going yet and the only discomfort has been aching ankles, shoulder and knees, most of which are results of a mis-spent (motorcycling) lifestyle over the years. And yes, I'm still riding a motorbike.

Soon to be off on out first post Covid trip, we have both had both our jabs so looking forward to it. OH has promised to be more involved, eg winding the legs and sorting the hook up etc. We are booked on a fully serviced pitch and that is the way from now on, supposing of course that this trip shows that we can carry on 'vanning.

Stay safe and well all.

Pete & Marge
Petemate is offline Top  
Unread 15th May 2021   #2
Ianb
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 35
Could be time to invest in an auto engage mover and self levelling.

Our van goes out on Monday for a service, first time since April 2020 and we have a weekend away booked in June, first time out with OH since her stay in hospital and her mobility issues.

Ian
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (15th May 2021)
Unread 15th May 2021   #3
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (For This Post): 1
Thanks (Total): 1,311
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Take care , we have the auto on off mover and I use a drill for the legs age is unkind
Who Said Thanks:
Petemate (15th May 2021)
Unread 15th May 2021   #4
Petemate
Elite Camper

Thanks (Total): 69
Garage
My Mood
Yeehaw

Thanks for the comments! OH has faithfully promised to help with the legs and motor engagement with our cordless drill! should be ok. Considering my recovery from the caravan wash yesterday, I reckon I'm well on the way to the level of activity which my heart failure nurses promised. We'll see.
Petemate is offline Top  
Unread 18th August 2021   #5
harrym1byt
Ultimate Camper

Thanks (Total): 35
My Mood
Yeehaw

I suffer similarly, but from a different cause - kidney failure. Which means as a result, I have low iron in my blood. The low iron means I cannot take up the oxygen I really need to supply my muscles. The effect is that of being able to start at full speed, but my stamina rapidly declines so I need to then rest and recover. Half yearly intravenous iron and Aranesp injections every four weeks keeps me fuelled, if I take it easy.

harrym1byt is offline Top