Go Back   Caravanning 4U > General Caravanning & Camping Information > Eric's Caravanning General Q & A

Notices

Eric's Caravanning General Q & A If you have a general Caravanning question that you can't find the correct section for post it in here. This forum is dedicated to our late friend and founder member of C4u - Eric.

Unread 2nd March 2012   #1
markokboro
In Training

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 0
Elddis Oddysey Hitchlock ?

I moved my caravan for the first time the other day and i could not get my hitchlock back down to the horizontal position. The caravan is a Elddis Odyssey and the hitchlock is blue with no button on the handle. Any suggestions please ? Mark.
markokboro is offline Top  
Unread 2nd March 2012   #2
expat1
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 704
Are you talking about the handbrake, the hitch head stabiliser handel or a hitch lock (security device) that you can't get back on the hitch head?

John

Previous rig :-
2008 Mondeo 2.0 tdci 1993 Elddis Typhoon GT

New rig :-
2011 Volvo V70 D3 (163) 1993 Elddis Typhoon GT

D:\My Data\My Pictures\Fuji\New Folder\Volvo Banner_2.jpg

Are you looking at changing your towcar? Then why not check out the Vehicle Kerbweight Section

"Will someone else's life be brighter tomorrow because of what you have done today?"
expat1 is offline Top  
Unread 3rd March 2012   #3
markokboro
In Training

Sorry it's the hitch stabiliser handle. Can't get it back down meaning I can't fit my security lock. Thanks
Unread 3rd March 2012   #4
expat1
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 704
Ok then you have a Winterhoff hitch head. Right another quick question then. Do you need to have the "security ball" in the hitch head in place of the towball for the stabiliser to engage. The stabiliser handle also acts as the hitch itself on the Winterhoff so is it necessary to have something in the socket to engage on? Unfortunately we have an AL-KO unit on our van and the stabiliser and the hitch Handle are separate so it operates completely differently.

http://www.winterhoff.de/english/inhalt.html (this is for pre 07/2002 units). You need to scroll down to the connection / disconnection instructions.

If your unit is from 08/2002 onwards then there isn't a locking lever but it requires upward force in the socket to engage (security ball). Well that's how I read it but I'm no expert on Winterhoff.

Hope this is of help.

John

Previous rig :-
2008 Mondeo 2.0 tdci 1993 Elddis Typhoon GT

New rig :-
2011 Volvo V70 D3 (163) 1993 Elddis Typhoon GT

D:\My Data\My Pictures\Fuji\New Folder\Volvo Banner_2.jpg

Are you looking at changing your towcar? Then why not check out the Vehicle Kerbweight Section

"Will someone else's life be brighter tomorrow because of what you have done today?"
expat1 is offline Top  
Unread 3rd March 2012   #5
kiwipete
Master Camper

Location: Was Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, now Napier, Hwake's Bay, New Zealand
Thanks (For This Post): 2
Thanks (Total): 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat1 View Post
Ok then you have a Winterhoff hitch head. Right another quick question then. Do you need to have the "security ball" in the hitch head in place of the towball for the stabiliser to engage. The stabiliser handle also acts as the hitch itself on the Winterhoff so is it necessary to have something in the socket to engage on? Unfortunately we have an AL-KO unit on our van and the stabiliser and the hitch Handle are separate so it operates completely differently.

http://www.winterhoff.de/english/inhalt.html (this is for pre 07/2002 units). You need to scroll down to the connection / disconnection instructions.

If your unit is from 08/2002 onwards then there isn't a locking lever but it requires upward force in the socket to engage (security ball). Well that's how I read it but I'm no expert on Winterhoff.
Hope this is of help.

Our Odyssey is 2007 and the same applies. You MUST have a ball in the towing socket to enable the lever to completely go down. As mentioned this can be a plastic version as supplied with the Hitchlock.
Who Said Thanks:
expat1 (3rd March 2012), ellieh12 (3rd March 2012)
Unread 3rd March 2012   #6
Landy
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 130
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipete View Post
Our Odyssey is 2007 and the same applies. You MUST have a ball in the towing socket to enable the lever to completely go down. As mentioned this can be a plastic version as supplied with the Hitchlock.
I will second this, our 2007 Avante requires the security ball in the socket before the lever will lock down.
Landy is offline Top  
Unread 3rd March 2012   #7
markokboro
In Training

Ok thanks for your help. I did try putting the security ball in but it all felt a bit loose and didnt fel like it would do anything ?
Unread 3rd March 2012   #8
Landy
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 130
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by markokboro View Post
Ok thanks for your help. I did try putting the security ball in but it all felt a bit loose and didnt fel like it would do anything ?
It will be loose, just apply some upward pressure on it and the lever will go down.
Landy is offline Top