Go Back   Caravanning 4U > C4U Members Hangout > The Plough

Notices

The Plough Named after Eric's pub, The Plough is the main chat area where you can discuss every day topics. C4U's very own boozer!

Unread 21st June 2009   #1
MAJORBOB
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (For This Post): 0
Thanks (Total): 124
Garage
My Mood
Breezy

Lightbulb Tourers take second place to holiday homes

We've just returned from a short stay at 'Pipers Height' nr. Blackpool on the whole we enjoyed ourselves.
A friendly welcome from reception with easy to use security bar (fob) & key to toilet block supplied. Adequate pitches with nicely trimmed grass. No shop (no calor) on site but Tesco Extra very handy. Premier Inn for eating out at reasonable prices was also very nr.
Toilet block was reasonable but was lacking in electric light for shaving on (dull mornings). Showers had plenty of hot water with good pressure, but were let down with poor maintainance 3rd door had to be lifted to secure the slide bolt, poor lighting and lack of wet boards made it difficult to dress without getting clothes wet.
Plenty of drinking water taps throughout the field but who wants to stand holding the button in all the time to fill your aquaroll? These again were lacking maintainance being loose, making it difficult to operate (particularly when you are handicapped with arthritis).Our poodle was not impressed with the dog walk & neither were we, best described as a dirt track.
This site is predominanlty catering for holiday homes it's biggest benifit being it's convenient location to Blackpool & St Annes.With no play area for children, we would'nt bring our grand kids but served our needs for a short stay.
May be we should consider Caravan club sites in future but we seem to fall into the trap of going back to the same sites.
I apologise if this posting should have gone on as a site review but just had to get it off my chest this is not the first time we've come to conclusion touring caravans are treated second class to the holiday homes.

Bob & Chris from sunny Rhyl
MAJORBOB is offline Top  
Unread 21st June 2009   #2
wee jock
Veteran Camper

Thanks (Total): 55
Bob I know fully what you mean and as a rule I try to avoid sites that have say 200 statics and 20 or 30 tourers.

The other thing I find with a lot of these sites is that if they rent the caravans out you can end up with some motley crews going about.

At Blackpool I once went to the haven site at Marton Mere and while in general it was okay I an not sure I would have liked to have been there the fair fortnight.

Have a look at ukcampsites as they have a large review section but read it with an open mind as they tend to pull really negative posts.
Unread 21st June 2009   #3
phill
C4U Super Mod

Thanks (Total): 1,312
Garage
My Mood
Relaxed

We once stayed at martin mere as well it was like you describe very poorly maintened toilet blocks were the teenagers *** booths and very dirty loads of trouble on site after the clubhouse closed thats another main reason we keep to club site's
Unread 21st June 2009   #4
MAJORBOB
Hall Of Famer

Thanks (Total): 124
Garage
My Mood
Breezy

Hi We Jock, nice to know i'm not the only one with that opinion. I look forward to when Paul & his helpers get a good C4U site directory with reviews by members up & running soon.
Cheers
Bob G in suny Rhyl
PS stil can't find my Welsh Flag!!
MAJORBOB is offline Top  
Unread 21st June 2009   #5
jon&lisa

Thanks (Total): 0
I have been going on about these sort of sites for a long time now and once Paul gets the campsite review system set up you can let us all know about the problems you have had. What I also know is once this is set up it will be the biggest campsite review place on the net so everyone will know were to stay clear from.